Another Di2 question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tempsperdu

Another Di2 question

Postby tempsperdu » 29 Apr 2018, 11:32am

According to the Shimano website the Battery Charger SM-BCR2 can also give limited computer access to the on board system without stating what the limitations are.
Can I do -
system configuration/integration
error checks
software updates
FD & RD calibration
set up Synchro Shift
and charge the battery

or do I need the computer link SM-PCE1 as well?

Gattonero

Re: Another Di2 question

Postby Gattonero » 29 Apr 2018, 11:48am

I may try one of those days.
TBH, the only thing you really need is the ability of upgrading the firmware and charge the battery, the customization things are add-ons that are useful only if you really like them, for most people they're over-complicated
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

shutuplegz

Postby shutuplegz » 2 May 2018, 2:24pm

You don't need the SM-PCE1 as far as I am aware - I don't have that piece of kit anyway. The Shimano e-tube software handbook says you can use 'either/or'.

You can indeed do all of the things you list. My experience is only with Shimano Alfine 8 speed and 11 speed Di2 systems but with the most recent firmware and e-tube software updates I can now fine-tune a number of parameters associated with the gear shifting that are genuinely useful. I can also see the types of things you can do with a traditional derailleur setup, like synchro-shift but these options are 'greyed out' in my version.

I think with the newest Di2 systems there is bluetooth or wireless connectivity with a smartphone or tablet app but I just use the SM-BCR2 and the charging cables to attach to the PC and e-tube software.

You can download the Shimano e-tube software for free and the latest version is easy and slick to use. I highly recommend it. Some of the changes you can make to the operation of the system are things you might only do once or twice whilst you are getting used to the system but it is really useful to have. I have been playing around with the multi-shift settings and shift speed recently. I find that how I want the system to respond through the winter when I have thick gloves on, and less of a sensation of the feel or 'click' of the switches, is different to how I might use it in the warmer months with no gloves or finger-less gloves. This software allows me to fine-tune such settings.

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 4 May 2018, 9:41am

The SM-PCE1 can be useful to check a system fault, though is not 100% proof can discover one, I've seen it many times not been able to recognize the usual battery-mount fault :? so yes, for the consumer use the SM-BCR2 is a good idea, just make sure is connected with a Usb cable that is actually "data" compatible (m any Usb cables that come with lights/etc are only for charging)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...