Short combat shorts!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Re: Short combat shorts!

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:I ride in proper cycling shorts - or longs when it's chilly.

There's that proper word again :roll:
Shorts someone cycles in are proper cycling shorts...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
It's my Lancastrian upbringing.
A spade's a shovel .......... and a proper one too.
Also, having been indoctrinated into Cornish idioms, it's a proper job.
Mick F. Cornwall
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I have been forced to buy the long shorts as could not find anything else. A session with needle and thread soon turned them up to a suitable length. Cannot get the sewing machine to work properly which would have made a neater job but they look and feel ok for cycling at least.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Just a word of warning about zip-off trousers. If they are not lined inside the zip, they will rub when cycling. I had one pair that was lined all around, except where the the zipper stopped. Those rubbed there. It was easily fixed with a plaster, but still kind of annoying.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
0xymoron

Post by 0xymoron »

A search on ebay for "mens cargo shorts" returns more than 25000 hits. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find the combination of style / fit / length / material / colour / price you want somewhere in that lot.

For example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Summer-Elasticated-Plain-Shorts-Cotton-Lightweight-Cargo-Combat-Pants-M-3XL/112470443339?hash=item1a2fc2c54b:m:mGhp62C1sMwRrkzTkoYE4Qw have a 7inch inseam in medium size, cost less than a tenner, and the seller allows returns up to 30 days after purchase.
hamster

Post by hamster »

How about these?
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/endura_hum ... _campaign=[campaign_name]&sv_term=[keyword]&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ZrXBRDXARIsAA8KauQ8ceB3Hoat-OGnFyHZelaJ8N3q-TFdwG1zUAPFFUxPOeRnfXscuYkaAsViEALw_wcB
Or do they count as long?
I'n not one for the Borat look though, especially as while cycling other parts can easily start an unwelcome break for freedom down a shorter leg...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I don't buy short shorts................that's I don't buy proper shorts.

I have been wearing swimming shorts for over twenty years maybe more.
Material lasts forever and its very lightweight so no grabbing on your legs.
Every year Matalan Sainsbury's etc bring out their lines............wait till end of season sale and stock up for next year.
I bought two pairs of camo nice short swimming shorts, I don't like the long ones that much, all walking / daywear.

And I struggle to get short leg cycling shorts as fashion seems to favour cycling shorts that come right down to the knee :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Regatta? Bought a pair last week for summer use (got carried away by the heat :lol: ) 3 zipped pockets + 1 tabbed rear.
"42"
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

slowster wrote: than my Craghoppers Kiwi shorts which I would have suggested as the obvious cheaper alternative, but which I see now have been discontinued and replaced by the Craghoppers Kiwi Long shorts.

Exactly my issue :wink: . My short Craghoppers have been replaced by Craghopper longs
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

ambodach wrote:I have been forced to buy the long shorts as could not find anything else. A session with needle and thread soon turned them up to a suitable length. Cannot get the sewing machine to work properly which would have made a neater job but they look and feel ok for cycling at least.

Yep, I'm seriously considering that option. Though thanks to all for the many replies, which I'll be researching in depth tonight.

Approximately 2 hours online, 30+ store visits and it's definately a case of using scissors, needle & thread to obtain a pair of shorts. Incredible, some shorts on ebay were pictured with a 3-5" gap between ankle and shorts!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

gbnz wrote:
slowster wrote: than my Craghoppers Kiwi shorts which I would have suggested as the obvious cheaper alternative, but which I see now have been discontinued and replaced by the Craghoppers Kiwi Long shorts.

Exactly my issue :wink: . My short Craghoppers have been replaced by Craghopper longs

Tried to get a pair if zipoff long trousers for touring use but Craghoppers don't seem to do a long leg. Tried a few stockists as well.
gaz

Post by gaz »

gbnz wrote:My short Craghoppers have been replaced by Craghopper longs

Me too, the long version aren't as comfortable. I've taken to scouring ebay for good condition second hand.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade