Stems & Panniers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ontherivet77

Stems & Panniers

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I've been off the bike for a while and have now decided to go back to commuting by bike. I've got a Ridgeback Panorama 2011 and I'm looking to replace the stem to a 90mm one. So, I'm looking for advice on a good quality replacement which is the right size for the handlebars, headset etc.

Also, I'd like to upgrade my ancient panniers to a lighter set suitable for commuting, been looking at the Altura High Viz and the Carradice ones, so has anyone got any recommendations.

Many thanks in advance.
foxyrider

Re: Stems & Panniers

Post by foxyrider »

Your best bet for the stem is to visit a decent LBS who will maybe have one in stock but will certainly be able to source one for you - you don't give any clue as to type/size, unless you want to spend a fortune you should get something quite decent for @£20.

As for the bags - well my go to for practical, waterproof and light (take any brands quoted weights with a large pinch of salt!) would be Ortlieb Rollers. 2 sizes, 2 materials, loads of jolly colours including hi viz reflective options and robust as a robust thing. Not the cheapest but i'm not alone here in having decades old examples still in use so over time they prove extremely good value. Plus of course they are great for touring at the weekends!

Before deciding I would suggest packing what you want to commute with and take to a shop with the bags and try a few out for practicality and size - again a decent LBS should have a range to try but even some of the chains now do a good range.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Just checked and steerer clamp is 28.6mm (1 1/8th) and bar clamp is 26 mm with a 6 degree rise.

Just had a look at the Ortlieb website and those bags look quality, particularly like the quick release idea as my current ones are a pain to put on and take off.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Ontherivet77 wrote:
Just had a look at the Ortlieb website and those bags look quality, particularly like the quick release idea as my current ones are a pain to put on and take off.

Not just easy to use but all the hardware is availabe as spares in case you manage to break anything!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Another vote for Ortlieb - I have the Back Roller City. Incredibly high quality, and the quick release is an absolute dream. I am a 'single pannier' person and always 'pannier on the right' so I love that they're symmetrical - I can wear them out one at a time rather than amassing a collection of unused left hand panniers.