bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DarkNewt
Posts: 388
Joined: 12 Aug 2014, 9:55pm
Location: West Midlands

bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

Postby DarkNewt » 8 May 2018, 9:15pm

I had a bit of a mishap, climbing a hill I didn't notice that my pedal was loose, it felt like my cleat was loose, by the time I got to the top of the hill I had threaded my crankset.

I swapped the chainrings over with no issues, went to fit it and then noticed..... it's to big for the bottom bracket...


The original was an FSA Gossamer BCD110 with 175mm cranks. Not knowing much about this type, I got a barely used replacement from ebay which when it arrived turned out to be a BB30 that doesn't fit into the existing bottom bracket.

In short, what bracket do I need to buy including bearings/adapters to use the new crankset, before I go off and make yet another mistake.

This is my every day ride and I am missing it already.

as always any help would be greatly apreciated.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13778
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

Postby gaz » 8 May 2018, 10:32pm

DarkNewt wrote:The original was an FSA Gossamer BCD110 with 175mm cranks. Not knowing much about this type, I got a barely used replacement from ebay which when it arrived turned out to be a BB30 that doesn't fit into the existing bottom bracket.

BCD110 is a reference to the chainring fitting size, Bolt Circle Diameter.

BB30 is an oversize Bottom Bracket standard. If you don't have a frame made for a BB30 it cannot be made to fit.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

DarkNewt
Posts: 388
Joined: 12 Aug 2014, 9:55pm
Location: West Midlands

Re: bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

Postby DarkNewt » 8 May 2018, 10:36pm

gaz wrote:
DarkNewt wrote:The original was an FSA Gossamer BCD110 with 175mm cranks. Not knowing much about this type, I got a barely used replacement from ebay which when it arrived turned out to be a BB30 that doesn't fit into the existing bottom bracket.

BCD110 is a reference to the chainring fitting size, Bolt Circle Diameter.

BB30 is an oversize Bottom Bracket standard. If you don't have a frame made for a BB30 it cannot be made to fit.


thats what I figured.... back to fleabay
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk

Brucey
Posts: 36122
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

Postby Brucey » 9 May 2018, 11:03am

a good LBS may have the correct taps etc to repair the crank thread. Once repaired the thread ought to be better than new.

That the pedal didn't self-tighten suggests that there was a problem with the pedal anyway, eg with the fit, the thread on the pedal itself, the shoulder on the pedal, or the lubrication. It might recur with a new/repaired crank.

FWIW FSA cranks with external type bottom brackets are often only kept going by feeding them a steady diet of (unnecessarily expensive) replacement bottom brackets. IME FSA chainsets are fussy about (expensive) replacement chainrings too. There is a lot to be said for getting a different crankset, i.e. one that uses a less expensive BB unit such as shimano HT-II.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valbrona
Posts: 2244
Joined: 7 Feb 2011, 4:49pm

Re: bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

Postby Valbrona » 9 May 2018, 1:09pm

If your new crankset has a 30mm dia axle but is marked FSA '386' it will fit a regular threaded 68/73mm bottom bracket shell ... if you buy the correct bottom bracket. The new FSA BB386 standard is a crankset with a 30mm axle that will fit every BB shell out there.

The old FSA cranksets with 30mm axles could only fit BB30 shells. These cranksets are just marked 'BB30'.
I should coco.

rjb
Posts: 3496
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

Postby rjb » 9 May 2018, 1:31pm

You could try and insert the pedal from the inside. It might reform the threads sufficiently to enable you to refit the pedal from the correct side.
Worth a try before taking it to a bike shop. :wink:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

DarkNewt
Posts: 388
Joined: 12 Aug 2014, 9:55pm
Location: West Midlands

Re: bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

Postby DarkNewt » 9 May 2018, 2:25pm

rjb wrote:You could try and insert the pedal from the inside. It might reform the threads sufficiently to enable you to refit the pedal from the correct side.
Worth a try before taking it to a bike shop. :wink:


nope it is well and truly fubar, ive hunted down a replacement so should be back on the road as soon as they post it.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk