bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DarkNewt

bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

Post by DarkNewt »

I had a bit of a mishap, climbing a hill I didn't notice that my pedal was loose, it felt like my cleat was loose, by the time I got to the top of the hill I had threaded my crankset.

I swapped the chainrings over with no issues, went to fit it and then noticed..... it's to big for the bottom bracket...

The original was an FSA Gossamer BCD110 with 175mm cranks. Not knowing much about this type, I got a barely used replacement from ebay which when it arrived turned out to be a BB30 that doesn't fit into the existing bottom bracket.

In short, what bracket do I need to buy including bearings/adapters to use the new crankset, before I go off and make yet another mistake.

This is my every day ride and I am missing it already.

as always any help would be greatly apreciated.
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
gaz

Re: bcd 110 to BB30 bottom bracket

Post by gaz »

DarkNewt wrote:The original was an FSA Gossamer BCD110 with 175mm cranks. Not knowing much about this type, I got a barely used replacement from ebay which when it arrived turned out to be a BB30 that doesn't fit into the existing bottom bracket.

BCD110 is a reference to the chainring fitting size, Bolt Circle Diameter.

BB30 is an oversize Bottom Bracket standard. If you don't have a frame made for a BB30 it cannot be made to fit.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

gaz wrote:
DarkNewt wrote:The original was an FSA Gossamer BCD110 with 175mm cranks. Not knowing much about this type, I got a barely used replacement from ebay which when it arrived turned out to be a BB30 that doesn't fit into the existing bottom bracket.

BCD110 is a reference to the chainring fitting size, Bolt Circle Diameter.

BB30 is an oversize Bottom Bracket standard. If you don't have a frame made for a BB30 it cannot be made to fit.

thats what I figured.... back to fleabay
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a good LBS may have the correct taps etc to repair the crank thread. Once repaired the thread ought to be better than new.

That the pedal didn't self-tighten suggests that there was a problem with the pedal anyway, eg with the fit, the thread on the pedal itself, the shoulder on the pedal, or the lubrication. It might recur with a new/repaired crank.

FWIW FSA cranks with external type bottom brackets are often only kept going by feeding them a steady diet of (unnecessarily expensive) replacement bottom brackets. IME FSA chainsets are fussy about (expensive) replacement chainrings too. There is a lot to be said for getting a different crankset, i.e. one that uses a less expensive BB unit such as shimano HT-II.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

If your new crankset has a 30mm dia axle but is marked FSA '386' it will fit a regular threaded 68/73mm bottom bracket shell ... if you buy the correct bottom bracket. The new FSA BB386 standard is a crankset with a 30mm axle that will fit every BB shell out there.

The old FSA cranksets with 30mm axles could only fit BB30 shells. These cranksets are just marked 'BB30'.
I should coco.
rjb

Post by rjb »

You could try and insert the pedal from the inside. It might reform the threads sufficiently to enable you to refit the pedal from the correct side.
Worth a try before taking it to a bike shop. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

rjb wrote:You could try and insert the pedal from the inside. It might reform the threads sufficiently to enable you to refit the pedal from the correct side.
Worth a try before taking it to a bike shop. :wink:

nope it is well and truly fubar, ive hunted down a replacement so should be back on the road as soon as they post it.