Wahey! I am going to Mercian at last!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

There is a beautiful looking Mercian on ebay at £300 with about 20 hours to go and also a couple of Rossins. The one Rossin has an opening reserve of £650. There was a Rossin frame in the states last week that went for quite a bit. Whatever you decide may the wind be behind you and your god be with you.
delstron

Post by delstron »

The Mercian on ebay, £300 at the moment, what would the 'Mercian' chaps on here expect it to make out of interest please?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

£300,000,000 perhaps?

Worth every penny ...
Mick F. Cornwall
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

Thanks for that info L9 - will check it out.

OK, I just got back from Mercian. Bit of a long one, but here goes.

The whole setup is actually very modest (no gleaming steel surfaces and halogen pin spots there!) and when I turned up the two guys who do measuring (John and Jeff I presume) had just gone for lunch. This meant hanging around for an hour, but that was OK as I had time to think. Before long I was becoming confused and doubting my initial frame ideas. There are preassembled frames for sale on the wall in varying sizes, styles and finishes and these are very tempting and cheaper than having one built.

Eventually John (seen wrapping a frame in the Mercian catalogue) came over to me and we chatted about what I would use the frame for, which is basically commuting and the occasional holiday with a couple of panniers. I already have a race bike for club runs, etc with a Record gruppo but no mudguards, so the Mercian is to fulfill my other cycling needs.

In contrast to some places that use computers to calculate frame size, John used a well-worn jig and is experience to decide what I needed. This part I found a bit strange as Iit all seemed abit casual and I am still thinking 'did he miss something?' and 'has he written everything down correctly?'. I think it is just the nerves over making the actual decision and everything will be great in the end.

The most tricky things were deciding the clearances for brakes and rear wheel since I am not exactly sure whether I will fit my XT gear or the Record gear... then came the paint and decals. Here, I was very tempted by the rose pearl or enamel orange, but in the end went for a less noticeable (as if a Mercian could be less noticeable!) gunmetal grey polychromatic which reminds me of an old Kona Kilauea we had (and my old SAAB!).

I was advised to have a chain pip on the rear stay and also ended up with 631 instead of 725, which saved me £115.

I think it is quite nerve-wracking going through the process as it is a lot of money (don't know exactly how much until the frame is finished in 3 or 4 agonising months), but I know this baby is going to be with me for a long time.

Needless to say pics will eventually be posted. Meanwhile, off to bed to dream.

JohnW - forgot to add my name to the top tube, so I will call them on Thursday to add it!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mlteeni -

Yeah - it was John who sorted me out. I had full confidence in their system actually. The thing about the jig is that you've sat on it and John has seen you on it. You still have to get it right in respect of handlebar stem length and seat pin choice.

And the thing is that all at Mercian actually cycly - seriously - not just down the pavement on a Sunday morning to the paper shop on the latest suspender equipped mega-bucks fashion accessory.

I think the shop is quite smart, but it isn't a 25 acre poser palace. They have all serious cyclists need, well displayed and no high-pressure sales techniques. I went into a large glitzy piped music poser place in London once, and the kid at the counter didn't know what a set-pin binder bolt was.

After ordering, I kept thinking and making changes, and Mercian were very patient with me.

I will go there again.

I went for orange. I'm looking at it now.

Keep us posted.
Last edited by JohnW on 16 Apr 2008, 8:30am, edited 1 time in total.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

So is it still going to be lugless? How much clearance did you spec, enough to need long-reach brakes or just enough to squeeze guards and narrow tyres in.

Tony S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The first time I went into the Mercian shop, I was a little under-whelmed. Funny, but I was.

I didn't want, or expect, a glitzy glamourous place, but bigger and fuller place than it was. I looks like a "normal" bike shop! That's what it is, of course. But what a special bike shop!

The staff are relaxed, knowledgeable, quiet, but attentive, and know exactly where to put their finger on exactly what you want. They remember you too: we popped in to buy me a helmet when we were up in the Midlands recently, and the chap asked me if I'd got my Vincitore on the road yet!!

Anyway Mlteenie, dither and dawdle as much as you want, the frame will last you the rest of your life. I'm sure they'll come up with goods.
Mick F. Cornwall
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

Thanks to you all for showing such interest.

JohnW, I have to smirk - 25 acre poser palaces are what I see all the time here in London. And you're right, some staff don't have a clue. I wasn't meaning to put them down, just more along the lines of MickF feeling slightly underwhelmed, but he's right - it is a special shop.

Today I looked over my order form and found that everything seems good except I may change the decals from black (unobtrusive) to white (bright and fun - why the hell should I let potential bike thieves spoil my pleasure!). Other than that I think you are right - I am used to the high pressure sales and London ways and they are much more laid back up there which could come across as not being quite on the ball, but I know they must be and I can't stop wondering what the bike will be like (sound familiar, Mercian owners?). Surely most people ordering their first custom frame have some amount of dithering and changes, and they must almost expect the phones calls a few days after ordering!

AE, I have Ultegra 39-49 brakes waiting although I specced up to 28mm tyre clearance just in case. Mostly I use 25mm and John reckoned I may be able to shoehorn those in with 'guards if I am lucky. My brother has a Condor Fratello with a Black Rain carbon fork, Campag skeleton brakes and runs 28mm tyres w/ guards, just. It can be done and if not I'll look out for some deeper drop brakes. I spaced the rear after much indecision to 130mm. I still don't know whether this is the right thing to do, as I would like to run XT wheels if I go touring, but perhaps my old 600 wheels built by Condor will be strong enough. I don't really know.

And yes it is still a Pro lugless. They had a couple made up in the shop. One with Campag 10 sp. in matt black - very sexy (and very expensive) and another more touring in the flip-flop colour. It turns out I am long in the leg (short body?) and my size is 58cm c-t and 56 c-c top tube with a 10cm stem. This means I can get away with my 57x57 c-c Rossin (lots of cast lugs) and use that as my road bike - whoopee!

Anyway, I think I have taken up enough of your time!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

You may find, mlteenie, that Mercian owners will talk forever about their bikes. Have you seen the gallery thing on their webbsite? The Yanks like their Mercians.
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

mlteenie wrote:I still don't know whether this is the right thing to do, as I would like to run XT wheels if I go touring, but perhaps my old 600 wheels built by Condor will be strong enough. I don't really know.

I don't know if it is exclusive to titanium or whether it is possible in steel but some Van Nicholas frames have forks at 132.5mm and state that either road or mtb hubs can be used, which seems an ideal solution to me.
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

Yes, JohnW. I have gone through it a few times! Are you in there?

NH, I did speak to John about the 132.5 trick and the result was having 130mm after he suggested that was a compromise which would result in either width axle causing the two rear dropout faces to be non-parallel, potentially resulting in damage to the axle... hmm. May still do that anyway - thanks for reminding me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mlteenie wrote:Yes, JohnW. I have gone through it a few times! Are you in there?

I am!
Well, Bike and Trailer are. I took the photograph.

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/gallery_ ... tml?ID=174
Mick F. Cornwall
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Stop this, its leading me astray.

I was all set on a Thorn frame, but now they're out of stock till June so I have to wait. There's a nasty little devil keeps saying "Mercian .. Mercian".

I clearly remember drooling over their frames in the Freewheel catalogue in the late '70s (or what it early '80s?). I knew what colour I'd choose - gloss black with red lug lines.

Tony S
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mlteenie - no, I'm not in the Mercian Gallery. I'm not sufficiently competent to transmit pictures over the internet - not yet anyway. I shall be eventually.

aesmith - it isn't a little devil that whispering "Mercian, Mercian....." - it's a ministering angel.
mlteenie

Post by mlteenie »

MickF - of course. I've seen it before. Anyway, you're already famous round these parts!

JW - never mind, you'll get there.

AE - do it. DO IT. You know you want to. Can you justify the trip down, or do you know your frame sizes and could you do it over the phone/tinterweb?

I am now somehat biased but I think the Mercians are better looking than the Thorns (just my opinion now, Thorn owners! :wink: ).