DIY shed alarm

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
spider2106

DIY shed alarm

Post by spider2106 »

I have got a brick built shed ( no windows) it has a reasonably strong door with a mortise lock and also hasp/padlook.
I keep 2 decent bikes in there, locked to a bracket in the wall. also in the shed are a lot of tools including hacksaws,elec supply,angle grinder etc.
I have a PIR security light above the door.
I am looking for some sort of alarm, happy to do DIY but don't want to spend loads of money.
Maybe a baby alarm might work but i am not sure that a cheap one would have the range (approx. 25m).

Any suggestion's please?
le.voyageur

Re: DIY shed alarm

Post by le.voyageur »

Maybe an old phone?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/re ... mart-home/

I think some of these apps can send an alert on movement detection and you could also record.

You'd need connectivity either via data allowance or wireless.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

jgurney

Post by jgurney »

A friend worried about louts raiding the shed on his allotment took to shutting a goose in it at night.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Kabrus.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... 7852182718

Loud as a loud thing.
Very loud. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

I used to have something similar (but not the same) to this in the garage. It's a motion sensor, no wires with a 100db alarm (that's loud).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Control ... B00GUBJJ96
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A 1metre square of 18mm ply with sharpened 60mm nails poking through at 60mm centres and laid points uppermost behind the door,so that should an intruder get in s/he steps onto the nails.
S/he will step no further.

Should anyone think this "system" of deterrence be cruel,tough,Frankly my dear I couldn't give a damn,it will work.
When you've had £2k's worth of tools of your trade stolen from your lock up you may take a different stance on the matter.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(No expert but) think about what you want from an alarm. Do you just want a lot of noise because you're always there and will hear it or do you want remote notification of a break-in. If you're not in when whatever makes a lot of noise might there be anybody else in the area and would they actually do anything? (I occasionally cycle past a house with its alarm going off and neighbours doing nothing than moan to each other about it and wonder how to get it shut off).

I expect anything will cost so what sort of budget could you stretch to. You can get some pretty flashy video monitors cameras that detect movement, notify your smartphone and then you can connect to it over the internet and check if a bird has got in for somebody less desirable. (e.g. Hive camera).

Just thoughts.

Ian
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

is that 25m to the shed or you want to hear it at 25m?

you can make something simple yourself with an electric doorbell or a shotgun or just get a dinky shed alarm, there's simple units that fix to the wall above the bikes and you can disable with a key fob or code.

not as much fun as a trip wire, bed springs and tin of pepper though
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Your mention of the baby alarm implies you are thinking of something which sounds in the house rather than sounding an external alarm. There seem to be plenty like this which chimes in the house, coupled with a PIR security light.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRANSMITTER-SE ... B002WBUFC8

FWIW, when I looked into this type of thing once before I found something of that type advertised which could be set up to switch on a light in the house, to give the impression somebody had been disturbed by the intruder/ trespasser.

You seem to have given some thought to physical security already. One approach is to think what you would do if you lost your keys and had to break in. A burglar won't attack the strongpoints. Think also about their route to your shed. If you are at the edge of open land or a little-used alleyway, a thorny hedge can be good. Entering any sort of an enclosed yard can be a bit of a Rubicon for some, even if it's more symbolic than anything. In the middle of the night, walking on a gravel path creates a lot of noticeable noise.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

This gives the best bang for your buck in more ways than one and is legal:

http://bagnallandkirkwood.co.uk/product/12g-shotgun-blank-firing-alarm-mine-tripwire
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

reohn2 wrote:A 1metre square of 18mm ply with sharpened 60mm nails poking through at 60mm centres and laid points uppermost behind the door,so that should an intruder get in s/he steps onto the nails.

Should anyone think this "system" of deterrence be cruel,tough,Frankly my dear I couldn't give a damn,it will work.
When you've had £2k's worth of tools of your trade stolen from your lock up you may take a different stance on the matter.

Unfortunately, that different stance may be trying to avoid bending over in the showers at HM pleasure. Much as we'd all love to install booby traps to deter (or preferably eradicate) the scumbags who try to nick our hard-earned posessions, our legal system tends to favour the criminals over the potential victims.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Airsporter1st wrote:
reohn2 wrote:A 1metre square of 18mm ply with sharpened 60mm nails poking through at 60mm centres and laid points uppermost behind the door,so that should an intruder get in s/he steps onto the nails.

Unfortunately, that different stance may be trying to avoid bending over in the showers at HM pleasure. Much as we'd all love to install booby traps to deter (or preferably eradicate) the scumbags who try to nick our hard-earned posessions, our legal system tends to favour the criminals over the potential victims.

Not if the bed of nails accidentaly fell over at the back of the door by accident :)
W H Auden
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

reohn2 wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:

Not if the bed of nails accidentaly fell over at the back of the door by accident :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In my much earlier days where I dabbled in Loss Adjusting, I encountered several instances of potential victims being successfully sued for injuries caused to criminals. e.g. a guy who was digging a garden pond. During the night, a would-be burglar fell down the hole and broke his leg. Homeowner sued.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Airsporter1st wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In my much earlier days where I dabbled in Loss Adjusting, I encountered several instances of potential victims being successfully sued for injuries caused to criminals. e.g. a guy who was digging a garden pond. During the night, a would-be burglar fell down the hole and broke his leg. Homeowner sued.

People are free to make up their own minds and take their chances,thanks for the advice though :)
W H Auden