Monty vs Minty

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Monty vs Minty

Post by Mick F »

I have a Garmin Montana which is absolutely brilliant.
It does everything anyone could want from a hand-held GPS device plus has any maps you want to put in there on its huge screen.

I also have a Garmin Edge 20, which isn't quite so good at anything really except it logs rides very well and you can follow a pre-loaded course but has no mapping capability. Also, it's tiny.

Montana, I call Monty.
Edge 20, I call Minty.

Tomorrow, I'm off on a ride and I need some pre-loaded navigation to follow, plus I need a map. Minty isn't very good for that, so I'm taking Monty and I've decided to take both.

It will be interesting to see how each one records the very same ride, but I understand that there's an old Chinese proverb that says ................
Man with a clock knows the time, but a man with two clocks, is never sure. :lol:

Monty+Minty.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Re: Monty vs Minty

Post by Audax67 »

So when the Montana takes you off-course it's The Fool Monty.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Have merci an don't take the Mick.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The real star is of course those Ergo's - look like my old 10 speed Chorus!

Oh the thread is about GP'S? What is this map thing you speak of, you lost or something?

AFAIC my 520 is for recording where i've been not to tell mewhere to go. I always know where I am, right here of course, if on the other hand I am unsure of the correct road - well the app on my phone soon sorts that.

And how do you cope with that huge slab on the bars?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Ergos are Chorus.
Pre Escape, pre QS, pre everything. I bought them in 2006 as old stock, but I think they were 2004 units.
Chorus are the exact same things as Record, except they say "Chorus" on them instead of "Record". No difference whatsoever.
The RH one is worn. I can replace springs, G springs, hoods, levers and paddles, but not the ratchets. None available.
I can buy a whole complete RH body for a hundred quid maybe.

I digress. :D

Monty won't take me off course. I will load my ride into it and there will be a pink line to follow.
I can select OS maps, or City Navigator, and North-up or Track-up and zoom in and out as I think fit at the touch of the screen.
If I wanted, Monty will perform as a Satnav and produce a good route from A to B.

Minty will beep at me if I'm off a pre-loaded course. There's a breadcrumb trail to follow but you can't zoom in and out. If you do go off course, the scale zooms out and zooms back in as you get nearer to where you should be. It will not do a Satnav at all.

Monty has a full elevation accuracy system both GPS and barometric and the two work in tandem, plus you can calibrate it to a known elevation before you leave home or wherever you start from. Minty is only GPS elevation and cannot be calibrated or adjusted or set.

Monty can be set to record every foot if you want. I have it set to record every 4yds. The issue though, is that it will only record to a maximum frequency of once per second.

Minty will only record as Smart Recording inasmuch as it records a point if and when it wants to, so it's a coarse trace, and Monty is a fine one.

As I say, it will be interesting.
I'll be riding up into Devon to cross the A30 bridges Exeter to Penzance as is my quest. I'll be crossing Bridges 28 to 34 and will be doing just over 54miles.
Route.png
Mick F. Cornwall
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

I have an edge touring and a 200, they both normally agree to within 0.5-1km in 100km in terms of distance, but the 200 consistently under-reads elevation by 10-25% compared to both my edge touring and just about every other device I’ve compared to, even various friends 200s so I know it’s mine specifically rather than the model in general.

I pretty much only use the 200 for logging on rides I already know, the touring gets wheeled out when I need navigation or in unfamiliar places. I often take the 200 on longer audaxes as a backup unit though and it’s saved my skin a couple of times when the edge battery gives up at about 12 hours
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I have a Magellen Switch Up, I call it 'Madge', she's similar in size to the Edge but actually far more programmable/features and I can use it as a watch as well, tbh I'll use my phone if I need directions in places I'm not familiar with and just use Madge as a logger. I ran it alongside my Sigma comp on Sunday and they both seemed to be pretty close, checked the ride with course creator too and it was pretty much spot on.
I'm happy with Madge as a usable data logging toy that isn't bulky on the bars and doesn't require additional mountng kit and can be used off the bike too.
I must however do similar and compare it to my Teasi One3, I call it 'Tizzy' :lol:
hercule

Post by hercule »

I have a Garmin Edge 810 with OS 1:50 000 maps but I don’t call it anything. Maybe if I did I could I get the route planning thing to work for me? :D
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Just take your phone :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've yet to see a screen that is truly clear in sunshine. Are there any out there?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Garmin Montana.
Full colour and as bright as you want.
Mick F. Cornwall
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Mick F wrote:The Ergos are Chorus.
Pre Escape, pre QS, pre everything. I bought them in 2006 as old stock, but I think they were 2004 units.
Chorus are the exact same things as Record, except they say "Chorus" on them instead of "Record". No difference whatsoever.
The RH one is worn. I can replace springs, G springs, hoods, levers and paddles, but not the ratchets. None available.

Can these people help you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

De Sisti wrote:

Maybe worth a punt.
I had a long conversation with the chaps at Mercian a while back, and the main ratchet that's worn in mine, isn't made anymore, and stocks have dwindled to nothing. Mercian had a limited number of the complete bodies that they could sell me.

The part number for reference is EC-RE061 (top of the picture)
Campag Ergo Diag.png
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mick F wrote:
De Sisti wrote:

Maybe worth a punt.
I had a long conversation with the chaps at Mercian a while back, and the main ratchet that's worn in mine, isn't made anymore, and stocks have dwindled to nothing. Mercian had a limited number of the complete bodies that they could sell me.

The part number for reference is EC-RE061 (top of the picture)Campag Ergo Diag.png

A little bit left field I know but I wonder if these parts could be printed? Pretty sure there is a market for not just this but many other little bits that are now out of production.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Back on topic! :D

Back from my ride. 50odd miles.

Main issue, is that Minty auto pauses, and after a pause, it doesn't know you're moving again for quite a few yards. Maybe up to 25yds.
Also, Minty's receiver system is rather insensitive so loses lock easily and so it thinks you've stopped ............... and then takes some yards to recognise you've moved.

I'll let the screenshots of Ascent speak for themselves.
Stats Comparison.png
Minty Elevation.png
Monty Elevation.png

Also, when I was in Launceston crossing Bridge 33, I spied a footbridge up the road I'd not known about. I guessed it would have been accessed from Launceston College so rode into the carpark area only to find it was a footpath off to the side.
These next two screenshots are of the maps. You can see the coarse trace from Minty, and the fine one from Monty.
Minty Map.png
Monty Map.png

All in all, Monty knocks spots off Minty. Minty's only real attribute is that it is small and neat.
Mick F. Cornwall