Touring spares - what do I need?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: Touring spares - what do I need?

Post by RickH »

Tangled Metal wrote:BTW quick links are a must. Two years ago we got into difficulty with a snapped chain. We've got a couple of chain breakers so that's OK. Which brand of links to get? I got SAM last time but they're one shot so I'm looking for a different make. Are Kmc any good? Are they reusable?

The only chain failure I've ever had since the mid 70s was a KMC quicklink failing (one side plate broke) on the OEM chain of the bike I bought last year after about 700 miles of riding.

However, as has been pointed out in other threads, one anecdotal experience isn't data.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Norman H wrote:Your local bike shop is OK if you are confident that they will do a thorough job but best of all do it yourself. Not only will you know that it's been done properly but the confidence gained will be invaluable if you are faced with any roadside repairs.

Ah, but what do you do if you discover a problem during the servicing with insufficient time to repair it before the tour? Cross your fingers? Take a less well-suited bike? Cancel the tour?

Norman H wrote:And cables are cheap enough to warrant replacing before a major tour.

I'd check them carefully and replace if needed but I don't see the point of replacing good cables with untested ones when you're about to be a long way from your best tools.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
peatk

Post by peatk »

We've done years of cycle camping touring in France without problems. We do about 400miles each tour on roads and the canal paths (halage) and the Vois Vertes. Check everything over before you leave and take spare tubes (but we've never had a puncture in France). We're on Giant Toughroad 29ers with racks front and rear. Our tyres are Schwalbe Marathon. Expensive but they give thousands of miles.
Do not expect to find a cycle shop in every town. They seem to be no more common than in rural UK.
If you're in tourist areas you'll find Location de Velo cycle hire and they can help. I bust a gear cable once and got it fixed for ten euros at one of those places.
If you need any sort of advice the Tourism offices are really helpful.
It's a fantastic place to cycle tour. Enjoy!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Nexus 7 using hovercraft full of eels.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I make sure I really check the bikes over. Special attention to ends of cables, brake pads and condition of the chain and sprockets. I carry 2 KMC quick links about 10 puncture patches and a new tube of glue. I always take 2 spare tubes. I never worry about tyres, if they are in good condition you'd have to be extremely unlucky to require one on your tour.
Bike shops can be found in most large towns and some of the bigger villages. At a push the supermarkets have a few basic things for bikes, not high end stuff but chains, brake pads etc.