Opinions on mainstream touring bikes?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
simonhill

Re: Opinions on mainstream touring bikes?

Post by simonhill »

Ta, found it after a bit of climbing up that post. Fairly typical American (dude?) type comments. As my frames were made in Taiwan and bought in the UK, I won't worry too much.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
simonhill wrote:
mjr wrote:
Each to their own - I don't like Surly's attitude.

Please explain. Should I be hanging my head in shame whilst riding one of my Surlys?

viewtopic.php?p=1145352#p1145352 is maybe the start of the longest discussion of it still on here.

People also complain about the attitude of Thorn towards customers who question their preferences. But at the end of the day you do yourself a favour if you look past the attitude, and the marketing guff, and see the bike for what it is. Good or bad.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pwa wrote:
mjr wrote:
simonhill wrote:
Please explain. Should I be hanging my head in shame whilst riding one of my Surlys?

viewtopic.php?p=1145352#p1145352 is maybe the start of the longest discussion of it still on here.

People also complain about the attitude of Thorn towards customers who question their preferences. But at the end of the day you do yourself a favour if you look past the attitude, and the marketing guff, and see the bike for what it is. Good or bad.

I have broken several bikes, both up wrongs and recumbents.

At the time, I had just broken my Airnimal and had a problem with the Ashley APB. recumbent wise I also had a broke Trice - all frame failures

I was looking at what to do next, and favouring a Catrike.

My wife however decided that she wanted a Rohloff equipped bike, so off to Thorn we went

First thing they did was told us that my wife's favourite bike was too big and she needed a smaller frame... it looked tiny

They then equipped me with a second bike and showed us a couple for routes to try.

My wife was stunned at how comfortable their bike was, and the ease of gear changing... we had disagreed, but they were absolutely right

Me I found that the bike was a "tank", solid, dependable, unexciting, and totally dependable - exactly what I was looking for.

We walked away with a pair, her with a Raven, and myself with a Nomad.

Never regretted the purchase.

(I later also bough the Catrike Expedition, with a Rohloff)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TBH in TM's position I'd take out a bank loan whilst interest is low and buy from Spa.
Buying from Spa gives you the opportunity to spec exactly what you want and it'll be cheaper and better than an off the peg tourer,yes there's interest to pay but IMO Spa are unbeatable for quality,choice and design,especially for a 6ft 5in gent.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Instead of interest free credit why not look for a credit card that offers something close? Then you have the flexibility to look anywhere and may be able to get a better price (you'll pay full whack otherwise)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I don’t believe there is such a thing as an interest free loan.
Save £45/month for three years and you’ll be walking into any shop you want with over £1600 of cash. Imagine what that can buy you , in the right place at the right time that could be something with a ticket price of 2K.
Try and get 20% off something you want to buy with an interest free loan.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonhill wrote:Should I be hanging my head in shame whilst riding one of my Surlys?

Yes :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Actually whenever I've checked the out in autumn this shop sells off last year's models with rather good discounts. Even discounted bikes get interest free credit.

A few years back I wanted a different kind of bike (not into touring then) and I nearly bought last year's model bike from them, cash that time but IFC was available on that bike. In the end I saw an equivalent bike at Evans cycles that read marginally cheaper. That bike had no IFC. If I had to get a loan the Evans cycles would have lost it due to IFC.

Surly is a brand I used to think I liked. Every time I've seen one I've been turned off them more and more. Thorn is a classic tourer, customisable to some degree such as colour. However Genesis bikes seem to me to have a more interesting approach to the bikes they produce IMHO. They look good too.

Looking at specs 725 tubes (IIRC same as spa tourer). Tiagra groupset on the 30 version, Sora in 20 version. Trp spyres in both, dynamo hub, lights, etc. Classic three bottle cages, one of which is a monki cage. Tubus racks. Marathon tyres, etc.

Gearing seems to suit my riding style with a low of 30t chainring to 32t cassette. With just commuting load I usually keep in the 50 chainring with mid to small cog on my 12t - 32t cassette on my current bike. Tbh I treat that bike as a 1x gearing, not good for the chain when I use the full cassette range m big chainring, but it does seem to work for me.

I suspect I would rarely bother the lowest gears but 50t chainring to 11t cassette cog is the one gear I missed when I switched from 11t - 26t to 12t - 32 cassette. I just need that one more top gear.

As for selecting my own spec I don't know enough to do better for myself than the brand would do. It's there really going to be much that I can spec out that'll be better than standard? I doubt there's anything that I know about.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I bought an "off the shelf" Jamis Aurora from Evans (the 2014 model) - later versions have improved gear ratios but they've replaced the Tiagra rear changer with a Sora; the mudguards are a big improvement on what was supplied with my bike. the outgoing year's model is often sold off with a significant reduction in price. It only comes in one colour but each year the colour is changed. Currently £680.

https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-auror ... e-EV306037

There is an "Elite" version with disc brakes (and other differences - including 631 frame and 105 gears/chainset - but higher ratios) for £1200

https://www.evanscycles.com/jamis-auror ... e-EV306053

P.S. Almost forgot to say - I'm very happy with my bike. I've made a few changes. When I went to collect my bike, the rear rack was damaged and so Evans replaced it with a Topeak Supertourist DX - which I have since replaced with a Racktime Addit. The mudguards on mine were good quality metal affairs in the same finish as the frame but were too narrow and short (the current model comes with much improved mudguards) - I replaced mine with SKS longboards. I also changed the handlebars and ATS adjustable stem system with Velo Orange bars and stem - this was very much a personal preference thing and I could have got by with the originals. I also changed the pedals for some clipless ones and I put my old saddle on.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Not being personal, but are you employed?

Some companies do "CycleScheme", "Cycle to Work" or similar salary sacrifice systems that can be a god way of buying a bike.

Of course there are no free rides (pun intended) as you have to abide by the rules for commuting use etc
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That's not being personal, fair question. I do work but my employer has never been asked about cycle to work schemes. Whilst they might consider it for me that would mean they'd have to offer it to all employees.

To be brutally honest here, you can't trust a lot of my colleagues to play fair with such a scheme. Some are just as likely to leave employment with the bike and the company would be out of pocket so I know they won't allow that risk by offering it to me in the hope nobody else will notice.

Besides I'm actually opposed to the whole scheme on a few matters. First it's biased to help those with more income. You're unlikely to get discounted bikes (I can get discounted bikes at certain times of year from this retailer with IFC) and you're tied in with your employer.

First point is about the way higher tax bracket employees get greater benefit / savings. The very fact you're on higher rates of pay should mean you can buy your own bikes. Minimum wage employees get little help other than a means for spreading payment which they might not get through a loan or IFC due to credit rating. Any scheme like this IMHO should be more equitable or shouldn't exist. Just my opinion.

I once looked into it in the early days and asking at a few shops that had a scheme (they were really just starting to take it up) I eventually got an honest answer that if you're on lower tax bracket you may get a cheaper bike with cash or using IFC. Since it was autumn end of season deals abounded. I saw one bike I liked for £500 reduced from a real former selling price (as in for the previous autumn to end if season sale) of £750. However going through the C2W figures I got a shock when the guy worked it out using full RRP.

Anything can happen at work these days. Ever since I got made redundant some years back I work on the basis sh1t happens. If I'm out of work or leave the employer I effectively lose the bike and all money put into it.

This is all off topic, has been talked about comprehensively before and I'm sure I'm probably wrong or being unfair to the scheme. So perhaps I shouldn't have gone there with the above comments.

TL:DR
No C2W scheme available through work. Not an option without changing jobs. A step too far I reckon.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

PS does anyone actually follow the C2W rules on use?

On another forum there's quite a few talking about getting bikes and kit on C2W. The trouble is they take advantage of it every year. I seriously doubt they follow the rules.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Tangled Metal wrote:PS does anyone actually follow the C2W rules on use?

On another forum there's quite a few talking about getting bikes and kit on C2W. The trouble is they take advantage of it every year. I seriously doubt they follow the rules.

Originally the scheme (store I worked at did it from day one, i've processed hundreds of applications over the years) was very restrictive, bikes had to be suitable for commuting so no race style or atb bikes. Over the years things became more flexible and instead of a few buying for intended purpose it became an avalanche just financing a new bike. Clearly some people were trying it on wanting kids bikes etc but generally it has got more bums on saddles whether commuting or leisure which I think everyone would agree is a good thing.

Some employers are willing to set up a staff 'loan' on a one by one basis rather than have a scheme package. This could allow you to purchase from any retailer as the shop would just get paid out.

As regards end of scheme due to redundancy or similar - the employer doesn't really want a used bike on their hands and so will usually offer a 'buy out' of the agreement. Had this happen myself couple of years ago.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Last thing you need if redundant to have to find buyout money. I remember my thoughts were on getting a job and keeping up my payments for what could be several months out of work. Doubt I'd have been in a position to pay the company out. Plus the company folded so doubt a buy out would be fun. That read just my situation although I think back then it was more and more common situation following the GFC and lack of credit for businesses.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

Paulatic wrote:I don’t believe there is such a thing as an interest free loan.
Save £45/month for three years and you’ll be walking into any shop you want with over £1600 of cash. Imagine what that can buy you , in the right place at the right time that could be something with a ticket price of 2K.
Try and get 20% off something you want to buy with an interest free loan.

The counter argument being that why miss out on 3 years of touring/riding if you can get (and afford) the loan?

I tend to avoid credit as I’m pretty risk averse in general, the only debt I have is my mortgage but I can see why credit purchases are a good option for medium cost items like bikes which you dont have the cash for knocking around, but won’t bankrupt you if it all goes wrong down the line.