Opinions on mainstream touring bikes?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mjr

Re: Opinions on mainstream touring bikes?

Post by mjr »

amediasatex wrote:The counter argument being that why miss out on 3 years of touring/riding if you can get (and afford) the loan?

Why would the OP miss out? The Streetmachine GT is sold with "You've got your own ideas about the perfect holiday trip. Your Street Machine Gt gets you there." and pictured with panniers at http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/s ... dex_e.html
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

mjr wrote:
amediasatex wrote:The counter argument being that why miss out on 3 years of touring/riding if you can get (and afford) the loan?

Why would the OP miss out? The Streetmachine GT is sold with "You've got your own ideas about the perfect holiday trip. Your Street Machine Gt gets you there." and pictured with panniers at http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/s ... dex_e.html

The OP might not, but as a general point about saving for 3 years Vs buying on finance/loan it stands, if you don’t have a touring bike (or any bike) you’ll miss out until you’ve saved the money.
PH

Post by PH »

I have two lovely touring bikes, but it's an indulgence rather than a requirement for touring, people go round the world on bikes that look like they've been pulled straight out of the skip. In the list of things that might stop you from going touring having the "right" bike is way down the list.
I did a couple of tours (C2C & Derby - York - Derby) plus my first Audax on a Raleigh Pioneer that had spent a good few years outside in someones garden, I then progressed to a Cannondale Hybrid (fantastic bike) Of course my touring bikes are better, but I can't honestly say the tours are.
Other peoples finances are none of my business, I have no opinion on it. If the discussion has moved on to the necessity of equipment, then I do :wink:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PH wrote:I have two lovely touring bikes, but it's an indulgence rather than a requirement for touring, people go round the world on bikes that look like they've been pulled straight out of the skip. In the list of things that might stop you from going touring having the "right" bike is way down the list....

How much does that apply to the type of touring in terms of "loaded" (full camping gear for several months travel) vs B&Bs for a few days travel?

Asking as I'm still prevaricating about my own plans: do modify my existing bike, get true tourer or go recumbent. I appreciate it's a bit of a "length of a piece of string" question but I'd imagine there is a wider tolerance on "appropriate bike" for touring with your credit card and a change of underwear than with full cooking/camping gear in a hot climate requiring loads of water to be carried.

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote:
PH wrote:I have two lovely touring bikes, but it's an indulgence rather than a requirement for touring, people go round the world on bikes that look like they've been pulled straight out of the skip. In the list of things that might stop you from going touring having the "right" bike is way down the list....

How much does that apply to the type of touring in terms of "loaded" (full camping gear for several months travel) vs B&Bs for a few days travel?

Asking as I'm still prevaricating about my own plans: do modify my existing bike, get true tourer or go recumbent. I appreciate it's a bit of a "length of a piece of string" question but I'd imagine there is a wider tolerance on "appropriate bike" for touring with your credit card and a change of underwear than with full cooking/camping gear in a hot climate requiring loads of water to be carried.

Ian

A good start might be Alastair Humphreys account of his four year round the world trip on a budget of £7,000 using a cheap aluminium MTB, when that broke, he got another.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moods-Future-J ... re+joys%27
TBH it's not my sort of touring, but neither is it that of the OP.

I'd be a hypocrite to claim it isn't nice to have great bikes, but I also know it isn't necessary and when I tour with someone who's bike cost a tenth of mine I do sometimes feel a little foolish.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Re: Credit: Just visited https://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/tou_0008_sy/surly-long-haul-trucker-2017-touring-bike a company I know nothing about other than my Bing search included them on the 2nd page) and a box popped-up
UP TO 36 MONTHS 0% FINANCE AVAILABLE WITH £0 DEPOSIT

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's the same V12 retail credit company most bike retailers use. The difference is often down to the length of term the retailer will support. Wheelbase allows 36 months on all bikes. Others have a sliding scale. Say 12 months up to £1000 above it 24 and above £2500 you get 36 months.