BAUM

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: BAUM

Postby Brucey » 31 May 2018, 6:03pm

Q. " does my Baum look big in this? "

A. " not any more, it has just been chopped off..." etc etc

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 May 2018, 6:04pm

Brucey wrote:Q. " does my Baum look big in this? "

A. " not any more, it has just been chopped off..." etc etc

cheers

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 31 May 2018, 6:15pm

Baum is the German word for tree, also occurs as a family name

BAM, Baikal-Amur-Mainline, is a fantastic railway in Siberia
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 May 2018, 6:21pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Baum is the German word for tree, also occurs as a family name...

Family tree?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 31 May 2018, 6:25pm

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Baum is the German word for tree, also occurs as a family name...

Family tree?

Stammbaum is the word for family tree
Zweige are branches and Wuerzel are roots

Reminds me of a UK bank: "Our roots are our branches"

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 31 May 2018, 7:08pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Family tree?

Stammbaum is the word for family tree
Zweige are branches and Wuerzel are roots

Reminds me of a UK bank: "Our roots are our branches"

Oi got a brand new super bicycle
An oi'll give you a roide

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 31 May 2018, 7:21pm

I think spending so much on a bicycle (x times more than "normal") is like spending x times more than normal on a motor vehicle

It is just not necessary

Some people have too much money to spend on bikes, cars, yachts. Plenty of people even in Europe let alone in the rest of the world can not afford to eat or to heat their homes or have no clean water

Time for wealth redistribution IMHO

BTW "if it looks right, it is right"
Does this bike look right? Does it look as expensive as it is?

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 31 May 2018, 7:51pm

Airsporter1st wrote:
djnotts wrote:"I never could understand jewelry"

"....My 16 rings more than his stock. Then there's the bracelets and earrings and necklaces.....banks go bust and I'll eat for at least a month!

I think you were lucky; when I was in Manila a few years back, an American wearing a gold Rolex had his arm cut off by a guy with a machete, who ran out of an alleyway and off with his arm and watch.

Manila sounds too dangerous for me - and I've been in the Big Alex in The Moss in the '70s! Morocco (in 2007) was certainly not the dodgiest place I've risked theft by amputation - I live in Nottingham.

joshua3

Postby joshua3 » 1 Jun 2018, 11:23am

Mental waste of money, should put it in his kids college fund.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 1 Jun 2018, 4:35pm

Just bought a new secondhand bike (7 speed hub, back-pedal brake (+1)) for €150
Thought about it for five minutes, collecting it next week

Better to have several/many different ordinary bikes than one/few expensive ones?

Airsporter1st

Postby Airsporter1st » 1 Jun 2018, 5:37pm

joshua3 wrote:Mental waste of money, should put it in his kids college fund.

What makes you think he has used money from his kids' college fund to pay for his bike?

I must confess I am quite surprised at the jealousy and bitterness demonstrated in this thread.

Anyone who has ever spent more than the absolute minimum in purchasing any luxury item whatsoever is just as guilty of excess as the Baum owner amd I defy anyone who has posted negative comments in this respect to say that they haven't spent more. For example, does everyone who has commented negatively ride the cheapest bike available? Does everyone drive a Dacia Sandero? Do they all watch an Alba 19" TV at £89 from Argos? Do they all in fact buy every single luxury item the own secondhand even cheaper?

Anyone who cannot answer in the affirmative, has no business criticising the Baum owner.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 1 Jun 2018, 6:11pm

I am not jealous, I could afford one, I could afford two, but could never thoyle it, never
I bet plenty of others agree

I do not drive a Dacia Sandero unfortunately :wink: I bought a used car that was made in the last century, I was glad to find one without power steering, airCon etc

I have chosen to spend a lot of money on books, my library has cost me some thousands over several decades. Might be worth a few hundred to sell as a job lot

One luxury I do not bother with is eating in restaurants, cooking for oneself is much better and does not increase economic activity and create jobs (+1 for doing as much as possible oneself)

Airsporter1st

Postby Airsporter1st » 1 Jun 2018, 6:22pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:I think spending so much on a bicycle (x times more than "normal") is like spending x times more than normal on a motor vehicle

It is just not necessary

Some people have too much money to spend on bikes, cars, yachts. Plenty of people even in Europe let alone in the rest of the world can not afford to eat or to heat their homes or have no clean water

Time for wealth redistribution IMHO

BTW "if it looks right, it is right"
Does this bike look right? Does it look as expensive as it is?

Cyril Haearn wrote:I am not jealous, I could afford one, I could afford two, but could never thoyle it, never
I bet plenty of others agree

I do not drive a Dacia Sandero unfortunately :wink: I bought a used car that was made in the last century, I was glad to find one without power steering, airCon etc

I have chosen to spend a lot of money on books, my library has cost me some thousands over several decades. Might be worth a few hundred to sell as a job lot

One luxury I do not bother with is eating in restaurants, cooking for oneself is much better and does not increase economic activity and create jobs (+1 for doing as much as possible oneself)

Just think how many starving people could have been fed with all that money spent on books! You chose to spend some of your spare cash on books and the bike owner in the OP chose to spend some of his on a Baum. What's the difference?

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 1 Jun 2018, 6:39pm

I spent much less on books than he did on a bike
Books will last all my life and keep me occupied in retirement, I could never read them all, they cause no maintenance costs
When I die someone else can enjoy them or they can be sold to raise cash for a good cause

I think learning is a good and noble thing

I think the law of diminishing returns applies to expensive bikes
For the price of the bike I would like to buy a Tiny Home, if I had somewhere to put it

A TH is a small self-contained dwelling, maybe 20 qm, as a trailer, just the thing if one wants to get out of the rat-race
I would need a second one for my books mind, maybe 40 qm altogether

willcee

Postby willcee » 1 Jun 2018, 7:24pm

On the books front likely many of them will end in second hand shops unless they are rare or first editions, a story shortened to illustrate how I view this machine in say 40 years time.. about 03 I bought a 1949 Curly Hetchins while in reasonable condition ,I got it for a song, I totally restored it rode it for about 2 years in good weather and sold it at nearly 1000 to a new owner.. the bike, rather a frameset, had been bought originally by a Londoner demobbed in 1949 at the vast sum in those days of 25 guineas from the Hetchins shop in London,I had the original receipt, went with the bike... I sold it for many many times more , and the resto cost me about 300 quid.. while I don't know nor will I ask what my friend paid for the Baum, I will hazard that whomever buys it in 40 years time will pay top dollar for it and more than he paid.. unlike steel it doesn't rust, and while Titanium has issues, I would say it has a lifetime warranty with the original owner.. so classic and especially rare Machines hold their value, Just try to source an original Alex Singer or a Herse bike anywhere today, French , unique , constructeur build..it will cost you more than a decent classic car .. will