BAUM

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cyril Haearn

Re: BAUM

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:I'd rather that someone with money to do that, spent it on a bike than a car. :mrgreen:

Plus One
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:I'd rather that someone with money to do that, spent it on a bike than a car. :mrgreen:

How do we know people who buy bikes like that have the money?
In the same way people who might gamble may not have the spare income to afford to.
Hypothetical I know but we know nothing of the owner except s/he spent an aweful lot of money for not very much.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I quite like it, It has a sort of stealth look about it. I've seen a lot uglier. These new 29er things look awful to me, but each to their own. I'd never pay that sort of money for it or even for a car, but my hungry childhood gives me my own perspective on value of things. However I'd love a go on it.
Re creaking noises that have driven me mad. One was the seat post on a Giant and the other that I could not fathom, turned out to be my shoes!
Last edited by bigjim on 30 May 2018, 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

reohn2 wrote:Hypothetical I know but we know nothing of the owner except s/he spent an aweful lot of money for not very much.

We know he’s a well-heeled software consultant.

It appears to be this machine. The “frame fuselage” is yours for a mere 10k AUD or around €6.5k. But that’s before you add the Lightweight wheels (those are about the price of my car), the build components, etc. This machine might be pushing 20 grand!

There’s a price list here (PDF). Among other things it lists “EEBrakes” as a $700 option. I guess those are the unusual brakes we’re looking at.

Pwa mentioned a rack: eyelets can be added for $150 extra! That’s less than adding your name to the top tube for $200. A Silca Super Pista Hiro pump painted to match your frame is a bit of bargain at $900. You can have your custom bicycle professionally photographed in the studio for $500 before it ships.

Kind of amazing that stuff like this exists.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A man has to earn a crust somehow

This machine might be pushing 20 grand!

:shock:

There’s a price list [url=https://www.baumcycles.com/uploads/9/8/7/6/98768672/baum_price_list_2018.pdf]here (PDF). Among other things it lists “EEBrakes” as a $700 option. I guess those are the unusual brakes we’re looking at

HEE,HEE brakes

Pwa mentioned a rack: eyelets can be added for $150 extra!

Ah!
A sensible solution at last and a snip @ 150dollars ! :)
Or you could always buy a :- https://www.tailfin.cc
That’s less than adding your name to the top tube for $200.

Well a man must have some sense of individuality....

A Silca Super Pista Hiro pump painted to match your frame is a bit of bargain at $900.

Agreed,you wouldn't want it to clash would?

You can have your custom bicycle professionally photographed in the studio for $500 before it ships.

A bargain!

Kind of amazing that stuff like this exists.

Stuff like this is amazing that it exists,kind of........ :wink:
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Most of us could get everything we want from a bike for, say, three grand if we were really splashing out. So what would the extra expense on top of that add to the bike? Would it make it noticeably faster, with me on it riding one of my familiar routes through the lanes? Doubt it. Would it give me a bike that looked a lot nicer to my eyes? No. Would it make my pulse race every time I looked at it? No. Why would I spend more than about three grand, if money were no problem? I wouldn't. I wouldn't need to. One of the plus points about bikes is that you can get a lot of quality bike for not too much dosh. A three grand bike ticks all the boxes that I, personally, can think of.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Most of us could get everything we want from a bike for, say, three grand if we were really splashing out. So what would the extra expense on top of that add to the bike? Would it make it noticeably faster, with me on it riding one of my familiar routes through the lanes? Doubt it. Would it give me a bike that looked a lot nicer to my eyes? No. Would it make my pulse race every time I looked at it? No. Why would I spend more than about three grand, if money were no problem? I wouldn't. I wouldn't need to. One of the plus points about bikes is that you can get a lot of quality bike for not too much dosh. A three grand bike ticks all the boxes that I, personally, can think of.

I would even say that a £2k bike would fulfil that criteria.
Perhaps a true and established racing snake would need to spend the extra £1k on wheels for the leettle extra performance they'd offer.
Other than that I think you're right.

The first thing that caught my eye on the Baum was the deep section wheels and how they'd perform in a 15mph crosswind which are in abundance in these isles.
I could imagine riding into such a wind feeling the benefit,then making a 90degree turn and fighting to keep the thing under me,or in the same crossword and protected by a wall or hedge then riding past a gateway or the wall coming to an end suddenly :shock:
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:And as I said, name calling/insulting people on the back of them making a personal choice to do with their money is out of order. It's none of your business what they do with it nor is it called for to start with the name calling. Do you always sound off when someone buys something outside your price range? :x
I didn't like the frame colouring/scheme personally and thought the wheels were too deep for that type of frame but that's a personal taste thing, attacking people because they've spent a heap of cash on something and insulting them by calling them foolish is typical puerile nastiness for the sake of it!

I never could understand jewelry :wink:

Not could I, never had any, no tattoos either
A female colleague once said to me that she liked to read makeover reports in her magazines, she said: "most of them looked better before than after" :wink:
Hope this counts as arguing nicely

The jewels hold no appeal for me either..... although at least you can take them off, unlike a tattoo.

But wait! I am lying to myself!! The summer bike has red bling here and there, which although still functional also operates as man-jewellery. And recently I bought some white shoes then changed the laces to red ones, just to match the club jersey. What a silly tart I am, eh? I'll be growing a hipster beard next! I am the hypocritical one.

As to the efforts of the sheep (and rams) to once more become lambs, by way of face-paint, mad haircuts, fattened lips or chests and even glutes-made-more-maximum ..... they do provide naughty fellows such as myself with schaudenfraude opportunities, which often degenerate into full laughter-hoots or even sarky mocks.

Sadly, there are times when I cannot be nice. I do tell myself off, later on. It makes no difference to my bad behaviours and some folk feel I am best avoided, especially those sensitive to mock. Fair enough, in fact.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"I never could understand jewelry"

Like bikes - each to their own! As the Moroccan street seller sadly said to me when I simply held out my hands in response to his sales pitch "...but you wear your shop on your fingers....". My 16 rings more than his stock. Then there's the bracelets and earrings and necklaces.....banks go bust and I'll eat for at least a month!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If he can afford it, I'd rather he spent it on a bike than a car.

If he can't afford it, I'd still rather he bought a bike he can't afford than a car he can't afford.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

Well, what some of us have been banging on about in an attempt to have someone try and sell us a bike at a sensible price is what I was told in the first bike shop I started spending money in when I was a kid. The proprietor -who would be totally unimpressed with the marketing of contemporary bicycles- was of the mind that cyclists "know the price of everything and the value of nothing." QED.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

djnotts wrote:"I never could understand jewelry"

Like bikes - each to their own! As the Moroccan street seller sadly said to me when I simply held out my hands in response to his sales pitch "...but you wear your shop on your fingers....". My 16 rings more than his stock. Then there's the bracelets and earrings and necklaces.....banks go bust and I'll eat for at least a month!

I think you were lucky; when I was in Manila a few years back, an American wearing a gold Rolex had his arm cut off by a guy with a machete, who ran out of an alleyway and off with his arm and watch.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:If he can afford it, I'd rather he spent it on a bike than a car.

If he can't afford it, I'd still rather he bought a bike he can't afford than a car he can't afford.

:mrgreen:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Airsporter1st wrote:
djnotts wrote:"I never could understand jewelry"

I think you were lucky; when I was in Manila a few years back, an American wearing a gold Rolex had his arm cut off by a guy with a machete, who ran out of an alleyway and off with his arm and watch.

Good job a Baum rider can unclip PDQ then :shock:
W H Auden
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

Years ago I was once out having a spin around Central Park in New York City with a bunch of other young guys with fancy Italian racing bikes. This was back in the bad old days in the city. As we were coming around on the Spanish Harlem side of the park, out of nowhere a gang of little thugs suddenly appeared, took down one of the riders and ran off with his bike.