Anatomy of a failed hydro caliper

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Anatomy of a failed hydro caliper

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I know little of discs on bicycles, as all I know is what I have taken from scrapped bikes.
Basic bottom end single actuating with manual adjustment pad clearance, one fixed pad, needs constant tool adjustment when pads wear, and performance no different from "V" rim brakes, on a bad winter road / off road day I can run out of cable adjustment on both disc and rim brakes in 30 miles :(

And single actuating floating calliper, which relies on manual adjustment on moving pad.
(Honda CB 100 some models had auto pad adjuster, shim spring ring shaped sawtooth one way ratchet, between the actuator and moving pad, on their swinging mechanical calliper, still needed constant attention to stay on top form)

Same auto adjuster used on cars with hydraulic rear discs where an integral mechanical cable operated handbrake is used, the auto adjust ratchet and the mechanical ball cam actuator are behind the piston all immersed in the fluid, leaving just a seal on spindle exiting rear of calliper for handbrake lever.

Both Basic designs on bicycles need adjustment / careful cable setting at calliper, so you have some leeway for cable adjustment at lever when pads wear rapidly on route.

I gather there are dual actuating callipers? Any designs with auto pad adjustment or is this too complex, only hydraulic give auto adjust with no added parts, sorry to digress.

I know hydraulic callipers on bicycles have been around along time, was there ever a rim hydraulic calliper?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

AFAIK there are only three main mechanical caliper variants used on bicycles;

1) twin moving pads, manual pad adjustment (spyke/spyre)
2) fixed caliper/singlepiston/disc flexing, manual adjustment (BB5, BB7 etc NB some have an adjustment screw for the moving pad, others adjust the moving pad using the cable) and
3) as above, but the moving pad adjusts by moving the whole caliper, which is built like a sliding caliper but with a screw adjuster on one of the two sliding pins.

The last of these is rare and seems only to exist in relatively inexpensive form. This means it usually doesn't work that well. In particular, when the pads are worn, the fixed pad is always in some danger of being ejected from the caliper, since the disc moves towards the moving side of the caliper slot through the life of the brake pads.

If you are wearing (organic/semi metallic) pads very quickly in inexpensive calipers (which often have very small pad area) in wet conditions then I suggest changing to sintered pads; they wear a lot less quickly, and they offer better braking in the wet too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
My previous experience of sintered on stainless steel discs from the 80's was that wet performance is superior with no time lag but wears the disc fast too.
Have considered sinteredd might give it a try, been very dry for last year the weather, so pads are lasting well, so are rim brakes, cant last forever though.

Organic on steel when shielded lasts longest.

Can you point me to an example of twin moving pad design, is it just twin actuators with a single lever?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

spyke and spyre, as per previous post

cheers
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Attachments
Hard plastic disc inserts - silicone rubber is white - hollow piston.
Hard plastic disc inserts - silicone rubber is white - hollow piston.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well I have not seen one made quite that way before; presumably the caps keep the boot well sealed to the piston ends?

cheers
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Brucey wrote:well I have not seen one made quite that way before; presumably the caps keep the boot well sealed to the piston ends?

cheers

Pistons are hollow but thick walled (a cup, closed end in fluid) no expert on plastics but if you look closely at last pic I posted, the ridge to retain st stl caps is damaged, presumably when I prised the caps off pistons, so hard plastic, (dense tap noise when struck), how do you identify ceramic?
Yellow caps (also hard plastic that is difficult to scratch?) silicove rubber RTV? looks like and feels like, is just to stop caps dropping out, more to stop them filling with water in piston (cup) cavity I reckon.
Metal st stl final cap end has three idents to retain on piston ridge (undercut)......

Plastic? whatever heat transfer?.................
I like the idea as .........................well my renualt truck has original pistons (front duel pot) the quality must be good as no rust on outer faces immersed in fluid......good plating I presume as outer air faces (hollow cup which is standard design on metal pistns?) are rusted but I look after them...............went to replace the piston seals on truck and wish I did not bother though you have to look and IIRC boot (dust bellow which is captive in bore of calliper) was split one in four pistons at about 20 years old, but seals were good and bores corrosion mostly free (cast forged steel), my maintenance of course :)

No, first for me but Honda were always ahead on new ideas, year 2000 appx age of motor bike, I admit that I am out of touch with modern any transport as I no longer buy new and repair stuff, just old rubbish.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Brucey wrote:with DOT 3, DOT4, DOT 5.1 fluids (which are miscible and not related to DOT 5.0 which is different) then corrosion is liable to be worse; these fluids absorb water and if they leak they can even take the paint off the working parts of the brakes.

cheers

I think that's wrong. Mineral oil has been practically abandoned/obsoleted as a braking fluid in motor vehicles. Water gets dispersed in the DOT fluid rather than pooling in the calipers (low point in the system) like mineral oil does where it can boil or corrode. I don't think the OP would have seen this level of corrosion if DOT fluid was used.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

would you like to see my (large) heap of knackered DOT fluid brakes? Most of them have leaked fluid at the caliper end and this has removed the paint from the calipers. A few have leaked at the other end and the paint has gone from the MC too. Plenty of corrosion, obviously.

An important reason DOT fluids are used in car brakes is that it is highly inviscid and not prone to foaming. This means that it works well inside abs systems. Most of the other fluids that you might use are not like this.

Needless to say bicycle brakes tolerate having a rather more viscous fluid inside them. Yes there isn't much in it but for bicycles it looks like mineral oil is probably better than DOT fluid in bicycle brakes.

cheers
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Brucey wrote:would you like to see my (large) heap of knackered DOT fluid brakes? Most of them have leaked fluid at the caliper end and this has removed the paint from the calipers. A few have leaked at the other end and the paint has gone from the MC too. Plenty of corrosion, obviously.

An important reason DOT fluids are used in car brakes is that it is highly inviscid and not prone to foaming. This means that it works well inside abs systems. Most of the other fluids that you might use are not like this.

Needless to say bicycle brakes tolerate having a rather more viscous fluid inside them. Yes there isn't much in it but for bicycles it looks like mineral oil is probably better than DOT fluid in bicycle brakes.

cheers

DOT fluid has been used in automotive brakes since the 1950s I think (longer than I can remember); long before ABS brakes came out.

I've had automotive brake and hydraulic systems apart and saw zero corrosion in a clutch master cylinder that used DOT fluid that was made of aluminum after 10 years of use.

If you get fluid on a painted surface, just flush it off with water. I don't see this as a biggie to not use the superior fluid.

I haven't had my Hayes MTB brakes apart but will report back on corrosion issues if I disassemble them. They use DOT fluid.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Sorry for my late reply, I did not read it all as I was obviously confused / getting old, and the quoting method you used.
Jezrant wrote:Rowlocks yourself. You've been throwing away your money, mate. Next time you go into your friendly local garage, ask them to test your brake fluid. Or since you've been doing all your car maintenance yourself for decades, buy a little tester and do it yourself. It ain't complicated. If the moisture content is lower than 3%, your brake fluid is fine. I change mine when it needs it, but hey, you want to change it every year, that's your business. You also then have to dispose of it somewhere, responsibly.

I am going to apologise for using that word or what it meant. (not really offensive word anyway)
But changing brake fluid is relatively easy and cheap compared with the consequences of just ignoring.
I see manufactures say 1-2 years, seals from memory are about 4 years, sooner if used in poor conditions and a higher mileage.
Certainly if you still have steel slave cyclinders, you need to keep an eye / change more often from internal rust.
Its just prudent to change brake fluid at regular intervals, water and contamination / overheating.
Problem with dot 5 is that how would anyone ever know as it is little used anyway?
Flushing the system / changing is good practice and will keep your hydraulic system tip top.
Its also something anyone can do reliably with out any special tools / testers, its a recommended service thingummy.
On garages that's like your LBS, lots of poorly trained staff in wrong job, its a skilled job full of unskilled people I.M.O.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

"Service and maintenance
Most automotive professionals agree that glycol-based brake fluid, (DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5.1) should be flushed, or changed, every 1–2 years under non-racing conditions.[9] Many manufacturers also require periodic fluid changes to ensure reliability and safety. Once installed, moisture diffuses into the fluid through brake hoses and rubber seals and, eventually, the fluid will have to be replaced when the water content becomes too high. Electronic testers and test strips are commercially available to measure moisture content, however moisture test strips were taken off the market because they absorb moisture in the air before they can be used. The corrosion inhibitors also degrade over time. Degraded inhibitors allow corrosion in the braking system. The first metal to corrode is copper. You can determine when it is time to replace brake fluid when copper ions hit 200ppm.[10] New fluid should always be stored in a sealed container to avoid moisture intrusion.

DOT 2 (mineral oil) DOT 5 (silicone) fluids are not hygroscopic and don't have to be replaced when the water content becomes too high. Ideally, silicone fluid should be used only to fill non-ABS systems that have not been previously filled with glycol based fluid. Any system that has used glycol-based fluid (DOT 3/4/5.1) will contain moisture; glycol fluid disperses the moisture throughout the system and contains corrosion inhibitors. Silicone fluid does not allow moisture to enter the system, but does not disperse any that is already there, either. A system filled from dry with silicone fluid does not require the fluid to be changed at intervals, only when the system has been disturbed for a component repair or renewal. The United States armed forces have standardised on silicone brake fluid since the 1990s. Silicone fluid is used extensively in cold climates, particularly in Russia and Finland."

Brucey, my brake calliper was covered in white dust from corrosion, I cleaned it up well before the photo, I was surprised that the fluid was still fluid as it can gum up after time, but I had probably changed the fluid before bike was laid up.
The plastic pistons helped no doubt keeping it working after a long spell covered with just a cheap plastic tarp (outside all year, 10 years maybe). There was minor corrosion on the outer piston seal on the calliper bore, aluminium.
On leaks its important that the reservoir cap seal is very clean and dry so there is no migration of fluid I have found.
Don't know much about dot 2 & 5 fluid but I would imagine that the "O" ring on your pic between halves needs a double seal (two "O" rings) possibly? or a different design (if an opposed piston calliper is always split hoe do cars seal halves / two brakelines maybe?) Two iston calliper but side by side as opposed to opposed piston? Works on cars :)
Mechanical callipers on cycles, keep it simple they seem to work well.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

MikeDee wrote:

DOT fluid has been used in automotive brakes since the 1950s I think (longer than I can remember); long before ABS brakes came out.

DOT fluid (by which I mean DOT3,4, 5.1, not DOT 5.0) was first used in aircraft systems. It was never meant to be a fit and forget option there and its low viscosity was a benefit in the long (narrow bore for weight reasons) pipe runs, just as it remains a benefit in modern ABS units in cars. [BTW DOT 5.0 is a silicon oil and it isn't as good in ABS units. It does last a lot longer in the system before it causes corrosion and fails though.] DOT fluid was used in car disc brakes because those systems were first (literally) taken from aircraft and bolted onto cars. Early disc calipers for cars often used the same caliper bodies as were fitted to aircraft with fixed undercarriage, so that they were aerodynamically shaped, even.

I've had automotive brake and hydraulic systems apart and saw zero corrosion in a clutch master cylinder that used DOT fluid that was made of aluminum after 10 years of use.

One swallow doth not a summer make. I have probably spent more time fixing duff hydraulic systems on cars than any one other thing. Quite a lot depends on how the system is sealed and what temperatures it sees in normal service. DOT fluid is so hygroscopic that an open container will absorb enough moisture from the air in one day that it will be out of spec, (with a severely lowered boiling point). It is highly educational to get a moisture tester for the fluid and to use it; the fluid can go out of spec though moisture absorption in a few weeks. I've seen many systems (in which the MC reservoir wasn't well sealed enough or didn't regularly get hot) in which the system corroded internally after a relatively short period of time. Every maintenance schedule for cars from leading manufacturers demands that DOT fluid is changed completely at intervals that are around a year or eighteen months. Moisture permeates through flexible hoses and past seals to contaminate slave cylinders. The usual thing is that the fluid in the slave goes black and stinky inside a year and after that corrosion may cause failure at any time. Most folk get away with it if they don't bother but the frequency of these failures (in cars that are say 3-5 years old and are not maintained correctly) is high enough that if they occurred during the warranty period then the cars would be recalled. Dual circuit brakes are the only thing that makes this sort of technology safe enough to use at all, in fact.

If you get fluid on a painted surface, just flush it off with water. I don't see this as a biggie to not use the superior fluid.

If you get a leak on a bicycle system the first thing you know about it is that the paint has gone from the parts nearby the slightest leak. It is a very effective paint stripper. I'd be interested to know why you think DOT fluid might be 'superior' because as far as I can tell it isn't, not for bicycles.

Perhaps you misunderstand where the corrosion that causes the caliper failures in this thread comes from; in the usual case a small amount of (probably salty) water gets in the caliper bore and then corrodes the caliper piston seal seat. The slightest weep of mineral oil that at first results cannot stop the corrosion but it must slow it down a little. In DOT systems the leak rate is instantly x10 faster (because the fluid is less viscous) and worse yet it accelerates corrosion because it is perfectly miscible with water. [For example in many cars a MC leak of DOT fluid betrays its presence by stripping the galvanising off the outside of the vacuum servo, it is that corrosive.]

I haven't had my Hayes MTB brakes apart but will report back on corrosion issues if I disassemble them. They use DOT fluid.

In several LBSs near me Hayes brakes are not referred to as 'Hayes brakes' but as 'those S**t Hayes brakes'. In truth they are no worse than a lot of other DOT brakes (most of which work OK as MTB brakes that see relatively little use in mostly non-corrosive conditions; I have DOT brakes on an MTB too BTW) but in the UK Hayes brakes tend appear as OEM on mid-price bikes that may also see a fair mount of winter use on the road, with exposure to road salt. They fail very often as a result; it definitely isn't worth trying to fix them at workshop rates so they get binned. Consequently pretty much no-one buys Hayes brakes aftermarket in the UK; their reputation (like the brakes often are themselves) is badly tarnished..... The spare parts are not easy to get hold of, expensive for what they are, and the wholesalers tend to sell off any old stock in one go which effectively dissuades any LBS from stocking parts at full price; their stock may be become worthless overnight.

Fixing bicycle hydraulic brakes (for mid-price MTBs) is hardly ever cost-effective in a workshop; you can buy a complete pre-bled brake for cheap (that comes with a two-year warranty) and fit it in fifteen minutes. Resolving any hydraulic problem (other than that can be dealt with by bleeding) takes a lot longer and it comes with uncertain results. Not a good combination in a workshop; you soon exceed the value of the brake you are working on and you stand a good chance of just getting a herd of annoyed customers.

For me the bottom line is that If you insist on using hydro brakes on the road in a UK winter, you can expect them to fail, and fail quite often. Definitely more often if they are filled with DOT fluid than mineral oil. It is probably worth spending five minutes smearing silicon grease on extended pistons in new brakes, because that might keep the corrosion at bay for a bit longer. On used brakes you would have to be sure that you were not just trapping moisture etc behind the silicon grease.

cheers
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Brucey wrote:
MikeDee wrote:

DOT fluid (by which I mean DOT3,4, 5.1, not DOT 5.0) was first used in aircraft systems. It was never meant to be a fit and forget option there and its low viscosity was a benefit in the long (narrow bore for weight reasons) pipe runs, just as it remains a benefit in modern ABS units in cars. [BTW DOT 5.0 is a silicon oil and it isn't as good in ABS units. It does last a lot longer in the system before it causes corrosion and fails though.] DOT fluid was used in car disc brakes because those systems were first (literally) taken from aircraft and bolted onto cars. Early disc calipers for cars often used the same caliper bodies as were fitted to aircraft with fixed undercarriage, so that they were aerodynamically shaped, even.

One swallow doth not a summer make. I have probably spent more time fixing duff hydraulic systems on cars than any one other thing. Quite a lot depends on how the system is sealed and what temperatures it sees in normal service. DOT fluid is so hygroscopic that an open container will absorb enough moisture from the air in one day that it will be out of spec, (with a severely lowered boiling point). It is highly educational to get a moisture tester for the fluid and to use it; the fluid can go out of spec though moisture absorption in a few weeks. I've seen many systems (in which the MC reservoir wasn't well sealed enough or didn't regularly get hot) in which the system corroded internally after a relatively short period of time. Every maintenance schedule for cars from leading manufacturers demands that DOT fluid is changed completely at intervals that are around a year or eighteen months. Moisture permeates through flexible hoses and past seals to contaminate slave cylinders. The usual thing is that the fluid in the slave goes black and stinky inside a year and after that corrosion may cause failure at any time. Most folk get away with it if they don't bother but the frequency of these failures (in cars that are say 3-5 years old and are not maintained correctly) is high enough that if they occurred during the warranty period then the cars would be recalled. Dual circuit brakes are the only thing that makes this sort of technology safe enough to use at all, in fact.

If you get a leak on a bicycle system the first thing you know about it is that the paint has gone from the parts nearby the slightest leak. It is a very effective paint stripper. I'd be interested to know why you think DOT fluid might be 'superior' because as far as I can tell it isn't, not for bicycles.

Perhaps you misunderstand where the corrosion that causes the caliper failures in this thread comes from; in the usual case a small amount of (probably salty) water gets in the caliper bore and then corrodes the caliper piston seal seat. The slightest weep of mineral oil that at first results cannot stop the corrosion but it must slow it down a little. In DOT systems the leak rate is instantly x10 faster (because the fluid is less viscous) and worse yet it accelerates corrosion because it is perfectly miscible with water. [For example in many cars a MC leak of DOT fluid betrays its presence by stripping the galvanising off the outside of the vacuum servo, it is that corrosive.]

In several LBSs near me Hayes brakes are not referred to as 'Hayes brakes' but as 'those S**t Hayes brakes'. In truth they are no worse than a lot of other DOT brakes (most of which work OK as MTB brakes that see relatively little use in mostly non-corrosive conditions; I have DOT brakes on an MTB too BTW) but in the UK Hayes brakes tend appear as OEM on mid-price bikes that may also see a fair mount of winter use on the road, with exposure to road salt. They fail very often as a result; it definitely isn't worth trying to fix them at workshop rates so they get binned. Consequently pretty much no-one buys Hayes brakes aftermarket in the UK; their reputation (like the brakes often are themselves) is badly tarnished..... The spare parts are not easy to get hold of, expensive for what they are, and the wholesalers tend to sell off any old stock in one go which effectively dissuades any LBS from stocking parts at full price; their stock may be become worthless overnight.

Fixing bicycle hydraulic brakes (for mid-price MTBs) is hardly ever cost-effective in a workshop; you can buy a complete pre-bled brake for cheap (that comes with a two-year warranty) and fit it in fifteen minutes. Resolving any hydraulic problem (other than that can be dealt with by bleeding) takes a lot longer and it comes with uncertain results. Not a good combination in a workshop; you soon exceed the value of the brake you are working on and you stand a good chance of just getting a herd of annoyed customers.

For me the bottom line is that If you insist on using hydro brakes on the road in a UK winter, you can expect them to fail, and fail quite often. Definitely more often if they are filled with DOT fluid than mineral oil. It is probably worth spending five minutes smearing silicon grease on extended pistons in new brakes, because that might keep the corrosion at bay for a bit longer. On used brakes you would have to be sure that you were not just trapping moisture etc behind the silicon grease.

cheers

SRAM thinks DOT fluid is better than mineral oil https://sram.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/artic ... neral-oil-.

People think that because DOT fluid is hygroscopic, that makes it worse. That is its strength because instead of water separating and pooling at the low point in the system, it's dispersed. Water in the caliper is the worst place for it, since its boiling point is much lower than the brake fluid and this is the hottest point in the brake system. Water vapor gets in through the seals and the type of braking fluid is immaterial to that fact. DOT fluid is commonly available and cheap, and meets a standard, compared to bicycle brake mineral oil, where each manufacturer seems to have their own proprietary blend.

SRAM says the following:

Heat/moisture management: DOT fluid manages heat better. While pure mineral oil and pure DOT fluid both have boiling points around 280C, DOT fluid is much better at managing water, which, over time, always finds its way into any brake system. DOT fluid makes any water in the system part of the fluid, while mineral oil pushes water to the edges. If a fair amount of water migrates into a mineral oil system, water’s boiling point, 100C, becomes that of the system. Our tests showed that even old, “wet” DOT fluid the boiling point never gets below 180C, while a bike brake system rarely sees temperatures over this point. The result: DOT fluid offers more consistent braking performance.

You keep mentioning UK winters, salt on the roads, etc. Why don't you keep your good bikes for a sunny day and ride your beater bikes in crappy weather, if you even have to, and clean/wash your bikes if they get dirty? Riding in the rain is something I avoid. Riding an expensive bike in the rain doesn't make sense to me either. People in the US also live in cold and wet climates where salt is used on the roads in winter, so this type of weather is not unique to the UK. I don't get the obsession with corrosion.

Looking over your photos, it would seem that the corrosion was caused by external influences, not internal. Is that correct? If so, discussing the merits of different fluids in preventing internal corrosion would appear to be moot.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

Brucey wrote:One swallow doth not a summer make.
cheers

I love that expression. I have a mate with a 16-year-old Berlingo, ex-Rolls Royce engineer, been working on his own cars and bikes for donkeys years. He's changed the brake fluid once or twice in the past 13 years. :shock: Not that I'm recommending any such thing.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Sorry for my late reply, I did not read it all as I was obviously confused / getting old, and the quoting method you used.
Jezrant wrote:Rowlocks yourself.

I am going to apologise for using that word or what it meant.

You are forgiven. :lol:
You are right in a way, but you never did explain how you dispose of all that brake fluid you're changing every year.