Ikea recalls it bikes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikerwaser

Ikea bike

Post by bikerwaser »

Not sure if this has been posted ( couldn't find it ) but wondered what peoples thought were on it ?

http://inhabitat.com/ikea-is-launching- ... ed-sladda/
Heltor Chasca

Re: Ikea bike

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I like the idea in principle, but I think the price is high for a bike that probably won't hack it for long...b

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Thought I'd bump this as they are now on sale, along with a few accessories and a trailer, anyone seen one in store yet?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea ... -00326739/
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Postboxer wrote:Thought I'd bump this as they are now on sale, along with a few accessories and a trailer, anyone seen one in store yet?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea ... -00326739/

25-year guarantee on the frame and 10-year guarantee on the belt drive. Read about the terms in the guarantee brochure.

hmm nice belt drive

well that that looks good. I wonder how much the trailer costs?
answer my own question

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ikea-family-products/bicycle-bicycle-accessories/sladda-bicycle-trailer-art-50345641/

£130 or £180 if u not an Ikea Family member
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Headset and BB look like proprietary designs, not sure about that in a bike that is very likely built in a hurry
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Gattonero wrote:Headset and BB look like proprietary designs, not sure about that in a bike that is very likely built in a hurry

...OTOH the quality control by Ikea is very very good indeed, I'd say, and that's with stuff you put your undies in, never mind something you could damage yourself on!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Rear hub is a SRAM automatix, BB appears to be a standard ST unit mounted into an eccentric, headset (and fork etc) look very similar to those fitted to any number of Giant city bikes.

I predict that if crims work out that the carriers just unclip, they'll have to be locked to the bike separately. I also think that the seat pin cannot be properly supported in the frame, given the way the seat tube tapers, and that should anyone large/heavy put one of these bikes to hard use, the frame warranty will come into play.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Brucey wrote:I also think that the seat pin cannot be properly supported in the frame, given the way the seat tube tapers, and that should anyone large/heavy put one of these bikes to hard use, the frame warranty will come into play.

The only way that design makes any sense is if the seat tube gets thicker towards the joint with the top tube, instead of tapering inside as well as out.

They are selling well here. I'm sure I'll get a look at one before too long. :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Normally with IKEA I'm on the lookout for hinge fittings that will rip out of the particle board within days of assembly. I've always thought they should have a giant skip outside the store to save you the trouble of taking stuff home to assemble, only to have it disintegrate within a couple of years. My last IKEA failure was a not-particularly-cheap sofa bed that turned out to have plastic hinges that, not surprisingly, snapped. What kind of idiot uses plastic hinges? IKEA said the failure (after a couple of years and maybe twenty actual uses of the hinges) was normal wear and tear and would have nothing to do with repairs or replacements. If there is one brand name that would make me suspicious of a bike it is IKEA.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think that their global success would tend to suggest your view is in the minority tbh.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think that their global success would tend to suggest your view is in the minority tbh.

Long queues of people who don't look beneath the outer skin of products to see the careless and flimsy way their things are made. The logo of IKEA should be a big blue skip.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Put simply, if they sold carp, they would be long gone.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:Put simply, if they sold carp, they would be long gone.

Numerous visits to the tip with IKEA tat in the car boot tell me otherwise. The McDonalds of furniture.
meic

Post by meic »

I am able to date most of my IKEA stuff as being 19 years old as that is when we set up the house.
As none of it had any hinges it is doing fine, though I probably sub-consciously vetted out anything with a fragile design when I bought it all.
Most remarkable is a can opener which we lifted out of the 1 Euro box as a gamble and is still excellent at opening cans.

I am pretty sure that this was my first exposure to Chinese mass manufactured goods, we bought a lot of stuff because it was about a third of the price we saw anywhere else. We replaced all the house's crumbling bakelite light fittings with energy saving light sets with an enormous saving because it all came from China, while stuff on the high street was from Europe.
Yma o Hyd
pwa

Post by pwa »

meic wrote:I am able to date most of my IKEA stuff as being 19 years old as that is when we set up the house.
As none of it had any hinges it is doing fine, though I probably sub-consciously vetted out anything with a fragile design when I bought it all.
Most remarkable is a can opener which we lifted out of the 1 Euro box as a gamble and is still excellent at opening cans.

I am pretty sure that this was my first exposure to Chinese mass manufactured goods, we bought a lot of stuff because it was about a third of the price we saw anywhere else. We replaced all the house's crumbling bakelite light fittings with energy saving light sets with an enormous saving because it all came from China, while stuff on the high street was from Europe.

Maybe avoiding the rubbish hinges is the key. So forget the wardrobes or anything that folds. But even simple one-piece items can be rubbish. They sell wine glasses with glass so thin that I'm reminded of those glass Christmas tree baubles. My sister-in-law had an IKEA settee on which the fabric wore through in about two years. I've stopped buying from IKEA and I now pay a bit more and get something better. I buy dearer so that I buy less often.

If I looked at a bike from IKEA I'd be looking for possible weaknesses like bottom brackets and headsets with no seals, or other stupid flaws like that. Bad engineering. I'd need assurance that the bike was just branded IKEA and was actually designed and put together by a reputable bike company with no input from IKEA.