Adjustments on Shimano Deore XT integrated brake/shifter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Laowai_1

Adjustments on Shimano Deore XT integrated brake/shifter

Postby Laowai_1 » 1 Jun 2018, 2:56pm

There are two 'adjustment' screws on my Shimano Deore ST-M095 integrated shifter/brake. See the attached photos.

What are they for?
Image Attachments
IMG_2821-2.jpg
Shimano Deore ST-M095 adjustment screw 1
IMG_2820-2.jpg
Shimano Deore ST-M095 adjustment screw 2

hamster

Re: Adjustments on Shimano Deore XT integrated brake/shifter

Postby hamster » 1 Jun 2018, 4:13pm

The one on the front of the lever is reach for the brake: screw it in to bring the lever position closer to the bars. Your looks non-original as they were typically far longer with a spring round the outside to stop them working loose. The one underneath is the lever pivot - leave well alone.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 1 Jun 2018, 4:21pm

IIRC one is the main lever pivot (does not adjust per se) and the other holds part of some devious cam mechanism, that alters the MA of the lever through the lever stroke. Some shimano levers from this period have reach adjusters, commonly with four positions, but I don't think that is what yours has.

ST-M092 is similar and can be seen here;

http://web.archive.org/web/20150614032351/https://www.paul-lange.de/support/shimano/explosionszeichnungen_archiv/ST//ST-M092.PDF

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

gaz

Postby gaz » 1 Jun 2018, 4:24pm

hamster wrote:The one underneath is the lever pivot - leave well alone.

+1
hamster wrote:The one on the front of the lever is reach for the brake: screw it in to bring the lever position closer to the bars.

I don't think so. EV tech doc describes it as part of a "cam unit" which IIRC is usually a way to adjust cable pull between V and canti. Can't really see how that would work here so I may be mistaken.

No7 in the Tech doc looks like a reach adjustment screw .

Beaten by Brucey.

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 2 Jun 2018, 12:08am

I have those levers in front of me. Brucey is correct and neither points are made for adjustment. The first fitting is the lever pivot. The screw in the second fitting is used to secure a plastic insert that forms part of the track that the brake lever cable mount cam runs through. It is also non adjustable, the screw serves to hold the part in place. The lever reach screw is under the base of the brake lever, so above the 'st-mo95' in your first photo as the image is oriented. By the way those brake levers feel really great, don't they? I can't get on with the shift units so have butchered them by cutting the pod mount off and using the canti brake levers alone.