New bike build - which jobs to leave to the experts?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

New bike build - which jobs to leave to the experts?

Post by mikeymo »

I'm building a bike from scratch. Frame has arrived, Ridgeback Panorama Deluxe:

https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/frame ... set-p12171

I'm still at the component selection stage. But it's going to be drop bars, 30 or maybe 27 speed. Disk brakes, cable (or possibley hy/rd) operated.

Which jobs are best left to the experts? So far I'm thinking installing the headset and facing the bottom bracket. Anything else?
philvantwo

Re: New bike build - which jobs to leave to the experts?

Post by philvantwo »

11 speed cassette!!!
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

mikeymo wrote:... Which jobs are best left to the experts? So far I'm thinking installing the headset and facing the bottom bracket. Anything else?

Same here.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

also facing the headtube and crown race if it's not clean/free of paint, looks machined already. For all facing stuff I'd go to really well established and reliable bike shop as possible. Many bike shops aren't so hot on these jobs and or don't appreciate that they are necessary.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Facing head tube and fork crown is covered by fitting the headset, isn't it?
Facing disc mounts?
Wheelbuilding?
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Thanks folks. I'm in Leeds, so we've got Bob Jackson, Woodrup, Spa Cycles, Andy Scott. Plenty of choice of experienced bike mechanics.

I'll probably be buying factory built wheels, depending on price.

Do disc mounts need facing then? Is that the caliper mount or the disc mount on the bike?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

disc mounts (the parts of the frame to which the calipers mount) usually don't need facing if you fit calipers like BB5 or BB7 which contain alignment adjustment in the adaptor.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Brucey wrote:disc mounts (the parts of the frame to which the calipers mount) usually don't need facing if you fit calipers like BB5 or BB7 which contain alignment adjustment in the adaptor.

cheers

I was thinking about the TRP Spyres, partly because that's what Ridgeback fitted when they sold this as a complete bike. But I'll bear in mind what you say. Presumably if I didn't bother having the caliper mounts faced, I'd find out when I tried to fit the brakes? And I also assume that getting them faced afterwards isn't too problematic, whereas the headtube/steerer crown and BB Shell facing involves a bit more faffing about.
PH

Post by PH »

Link shows and says the frame comes with headset, I assume it’s already fitted. If you chose a square taper BB the frame won’t need facing.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

mikeymo wrote:I'll probably be buying factory built wheels, depending on price.

BEFORE you do that...do yourself a favour and check out the prices of handbuilt wheel sets from Spa Cycles (the blokes that you have already mentioned)

I have had two sets made by Spa Cycles. They were reasonably prices and delivered very quicky. They have put up with everything that our wonderful North Yorkshire roads can throw at them for the last three years (approx' 15,000 miles across two bikes) ZERO issues.

I'm a Yorkshireman through and through, and I know value for money when I see it. Spa wheel sets, worth EVERY penny.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Tiberius wrote:
mikeymo wrote:I'll probably be buying factory built wheels, depending on price.

BEFORE you do that...do yourself a favour and check out the prices of handbuilt wheel sets from Spa Cycles (the blokes that you have already mentioned)

I have had two sets made by Spa Cycles. They were reasonably prices and delivered very quicky. They have put up with everything that our wonderful North Yorkshire roads can throw at them for the last three years (approx' 15,000 miles across two bikes) ZERO issues.

I'm a Yorkshireman through and through, and I know value for money when I see it. Spa wheel sets, worth EVERY penny.

Listen to that man!
pwa

Post by pwa »

keyboardmonkey wrote:
mikeymo wrote:... Which jobs are best left to the experts? So far I'm thinking installing the headset and facing the bottom bracket. Anything else?

Same here.

+1 That's it. You should get satisfaction from slowly and carefully doing the rest yourself.

I'd also consider Spa wheels.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Will you be cutting the steerer tube and inserting the star nut yourself?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I would suggest that if you are getting the frame prepped for BB and headset that you get the seat tube cleaned out too - there is quite often some swarf or even extra material in there. Nothing worse than trying to get the seatpost in and either it won't or it damages the post.

It's also worth getting any threads on the frame cleaned out, you could do it yourself with an M5 tap.

Allow plenty of time for build up, rush things at your peril! But enjoy the build
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've generally taken a couple of weeks to build up a bike, just doing one little task a day as carefully as I can, nothing rushed. Lots of checking and measuring as I go along. Grease in all the right places and excess wiped off. I'm not running a bike shop so I don't need to be quick.