Shimano 12-speed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Shimano 12-speed

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply lawn

I didn't know that xt 9 speed was still current.

Available through mainstream online retailers?

Am primarily interested in shifters flat bar and front and fear mechs.

Casssttes I don't see as a major problem as I'm not a weight weenie and will take whatever shimano offers.
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

CRC have M590 Deore pods for £39 at present.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m590-9-speed-trigger-shifter-set/rp-prod40547

You might be able to find them for even less elsewhere.

Having had both these and XT ones, I don't view the extra money spent on XT to be of much value.

Various retailers sell RD-M772 XT which is a pretty good RD. Just need a barrel adjuster in the cable run somewhere (although pods already have one of course). Here the extra money is probably worth it, because you get better quality pulleys.

For a front mech, any 9s MTB one will work with the triggers, but which one will vary with the chainset and frame you are using.

Note that for some transmissions, a different set of 9s pods may be a better idea; IIRC there are some that have trim clicks in the left pod, like a road STI does, so that you can trim the FD. Generally these are not strictly necessary if you use a stiff frame/chainset and smallish chainrings, i.e. XT 9s bits.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

oh well maybe a Rohloff hub
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Got to agree with you reohn, as someone who resisted 10 speed when looking for a new expedition bike a couple of years ago and so went for 9.

My only concern about this mad path (am happy for others to follow it) is reduced availability of 9 speed bits.

Anyone see that as a matter of real concern?

buy a few spares?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks brucey, you are a star as always.

Can't double check as I am on a wonky tab, but pretty sure I recently laid in one of those rear mechs on your recommendation.

On the trimmable left flat bar shifter, I have two laid up. They are wonderful.

Can't check the model number at the mo. Is there more than one,?

Why aren',t they more common?

Are any of THOSE still current?

Possibly all discontinued because shimano didn't want folk to escape their marketing driven compatibility problems?

I currently have one fitted to a build of mine using what is nominally a 7 speed front mech still available for about £7.; Thanks to those nice extra clicks, all works like a dream. Even though I may have fitted the mech less than perfectly. And it js possible that there are theoretical chainline issues. but with that trimmable rapidfire, all works well.
Last edited by Sweep on 3 Jun 2018, 7:57pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

there must come a time when the whole derailleur system just collapses into obsolescence to be replaced by some thing that isnt a fudge?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Sweep wrote:Thanks for the reply lawn

I didn't know that xt 9 speed was still current.

Available through mainstream online retailers?

Am primarily interested in shifters flat bar and front and fear mechs.

Casssttes I don't see as a major problem as I'm not a weight weenie and will take whatever shimano offers.

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/2 ... ng%20Lever

Whether you can in fact find everything listed there is doubtful.

See also this thread

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120186&p=1214355#p1214355
bryan.fanson1

Post by bryan.fanson1 »

Add in the lack of compatibility between road and mtb groupsets that Shimano brought about with the introduction of 10 speed and it is getting harder and harder to get the gearing you want and not what the drivetrain manufacturers are forcing on us. I need a huge gearing range on my recumbent trike so at the moment I am running 10 speed XT 12-36 rear cassette plus an E-thirteen 42t gear extender, XT 9 speed long cage rear mech, Tiagra 10 speed road triple crankset, Microshift front mech and Microshift 10 speed bar end shifters. It all works perfectly with the exception of not being able to run big to big, but I don't do that any way. The new 1x systems are just too restricting for 'normal' riders.
pwa

Post by pwa »

bryan.fanson1 wrote:Add in the lack of compatibility between road and mtb groupsets that Shimano brought about with the introduction of 10 speed and it is getting harder and harder to get the gearing you want and not what the drivetrain manufacturers are forcing on us. I need a huge gearing range on my recumbent trike so at the moment I am running 10 speed XT 12-36 rear cassette plus an E-thirteen 42t gear extender, XT 9 speed long cage rear mech, Tiagra 10 speed road triple crankset, Microshift front mech and Microshift 10 speed bar end shifters. It all works perfectly with the exception of not being able to run big to big, but I don't do that any way. The new 1x systems are just too restricting for 'normal' riders.

I think some of us are now looking back at the Shimano 9 speed era as a Golden Age, when Road and Mtb could be combined and triples with 9 sprockets meant a great gear range with a ratio for everything. From a practical standpoint things have gone awry since then.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:I think some of us are now looking back at the Shimano 9 speed era as a Golden Age, when Road and Mtb could be combined and triples with 9 sprockets meant a great gear range with a ratio for everything.

It definitely still is a golden age and a hymn sheet I've been singing from for a long time since sprocket numbers went into double figures,and cable pulls went multiple

From a practical standpoint things have gone awry since then.

My Genesis MTB bought in 2015 has a 3x10 drivetrain of which the big ring is redundant.And a 2x9sp would suffice for such a dedicated offroad machine
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

reohn2 wrote:My Genesis MTB bought in 2015 has a 3x10 drivetrain of which the big ring is redundant.And a 2x9sp would suffice for such a dedicated offroad machine

Apparently a 1x that has less top gear and less bottom gear as well is a big an improvement, because it's lower maintenance.

That's what a writer on Bikeradar told me, apparently in all seriousness.

It's still not clear to me why a cassette costing an extra £10 and a single chainring that wears out more frequently is lower maintenance than a front derailleur that must cost bike manufacturers under £5 to buy, and a shifter that fails approximately never, but as he's presumably paid for his opinions, he is obviously right and I'm wrong.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thelawnet wrote:
reohn2 wrote:My Genesis MTB bought in 2015 has a 3x10 drivetrain of which the big ring is redundant.And a 2x9sp would suffice for such a dedicated offroad machine

Apparently a 1x that has less top gear and less bottom gear as well is a big an improvement, because it's lower maintenance.

It's still not clear to me why a cassette costing an extra £10 and a single chainring that wears out more frequently is lower maintenance than a front derailleur that must cost bike manufacturers under £5 to buy, and a shifter that fails approximately never, but as he's presumably paid for his opinions, he is obviously right and I'm wrong.

See my opinions on the Vroomen thread on why 1x11/12/13/14 is only a right choice in a few situations and can never give the range or progression that a 3x9 system offers :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hamster

Post by hamster »

thelawnet wrote:Apparently a 1x that has less top gear and less bottom gear as well is a big an improvement, because it's lower maintenance.

Because none of them dare moon the gorilla Shimano...

It's sadly all just regurgitated PR now.

Sunrace is increasingly my friend, offering solid kit in 8 and 9 speed.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

hamster wrote:
thelawnet wrote:Apparently a 1x that has less top gear and less bottom gear as well is a big an improvement, because it's lower maintenance.

Because none of them dare moon the gorilla Shimano...

It's sadly all just regurgitated PR now.

Not Shimano, but this 1x racer seems to have missed the PR memo. Unhappy fella.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Samuel D wrote:...
Not Shimano, but this 1x racer seems to have missed the PR memo. Unhappy fella.

even the team owner says that the 'lab rat' bikes are costing them victories now.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~