Interesting Seatpost Layback/Suspension Adaptor On Ebay

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CREPELLO

Interesting Seatpost Layback/Suspension Adaptor On Ebay

Post by CREPELLO »

By complete chance I've just come across this interesting seatpost layback adaptor. It's actually marketed as a suspension device, but it looks like the layback property would be of interest to many on here. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292557535769 ... noapp=true
s-l1600.jpg

I've no idea whether this design is widely available (this one is from China), or to a different specification. It concerns me that the spring wire material is aluminium. So it may not be as durable as steel wire. But it does seem that the design could have merit and yet I wonder what drawbacks there may be? Perhaps imply too much stress on the spring? I imagine this can't be the first time the design has been made and sold and yet I don't recall seeing anything like it before. It's striking to me for it's simplicity and even a certain elegance, compared to one or two of the designs I've seen mentioned here previously.

Who is up for making one in their workshop? :P Would titanium wire be any good?
rjb

Re: Interesting Seatpost Layback/Suspension Adaptor On Ebay

Post by rjb »

Ive thought about utilising a redundant crank suitably bodged to use as a layback adaptor. Something to fettle with in the off season.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

It looks like it's aluminium for the adjusting block, and a steel alloy for the spring wire. It could work for a while, and then cause a nasty accident? Any metallurgists lurking here?
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Rjb, please excuse my lack of imagination, but how would you execute that crank layback adaptor with regard to the saddle wires?

fastpedaller wrote:It looks like it's aluminium for the adjusting block, and a steel alloy for the spring wire. It could work for a while, and then cause a nasty accident? Any metallurgists lurking here?
You may well be right FP. Thinking on redesigning the 'spring', could a good metal workshop create a simple single loop coil (similar to those deployed on Brooks saddles) to reduce the stress on the bendy bit? Sorry, not sure of the correct terminology! ...oh yes, it's called a spring, doh!