Pannier Advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Re: Pannier Advice

Post by PH »

Ortlieb for me, for the reasons already given by others, I have two pairs, a modified set over 20 years old and a 15 year old pair of Front Roller classics which despite nearly daily use (At least one) still look excellent.
For quick grab items, I have a Carradice saddlebag, loads more character than the Ortliebs, though it's also needed more care and a couple of repairs.
dsea

Post by dsea »

mercalia wrote:6 months? to where?

Home - Hull - Istanbul - then East on the Silk road.
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:Whilst I own a lot of Ortlieb, I know some people abhor the brand for reasons I cannot quite fathom.

Really? 1. price; 2. roll-top as the main closure is a bit of a love/hate thing; 3. plasticky; 4. very obviously bike bags with a shoulder strap as an afterthought; 5. possibly, very possibly, for a few people, that they're German.

On balance, I like them because I don't have a problem with roll-tops or Germany and I think the lifespan compensates for the price and use of plastic, even though I currently only own a fraction of one (I bolted a QL handle onto another make of pannier), but I don't find it difficult to understand why not everyone likes them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

NetworkMan wrote:If you only have roller panniers you must have pockets or a substitute. I have Ortlieb Back Roller City which are excellent and were good value but they are slow to open and close so I find I need a saddlebag or a barbag as well for quick access. Ortlieb do optional pockets for the panniers but AFAIK these are roll top too so a bit slow to open and close as well.

Why 'must' you have pockets? The valuables are all in the Barbag and the tools/spares are in a seatpack. The stuff in the bags is all organised with packing cubes, drybags, compression bags etc and there is absolutely no reason for me to go into the panniers for anything during the day (well occasionally for the lock but not sure how thirty seconds impacts on the day when i'm touring - it would take at least the same amount of time with external pockets.

And yes the Ortlieb pockets, which come in 2 sizes BTW, do have roll tops.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:Why 'must' you have pockets? The valuables are all in the Barbag and the tools/spares are in a seatpack. The stuff in the bags is all organised with packing cubes, drybags, compression bags etc and there is absolutely no reason for me to go into the panniers for anything during the day (well occasionally for the lock but not sure how thirty seconds impacts on the day when i'm touring - it would take at least the same amount of time with external pockets.

On my last tour, the side pockets on my bags were used for things which weren't valuable or needed immediately and often (which went in the bar bag) and weren't tools: the left pocket contained sunblock, insect repellent and a small oil bottle that wouldn't stay upright in the bag with the tools - maybe something else too but I forget what (edit: remembered! It was a battery pack just in case the phone used as a sat nav ran low!); while the right pocket contained waterproofs, rain covers and sometimes a thin jacket if I'd started riding with it and it had become too hot. Both could be accessed while coasting, although I only did that once, to get the insect repellent when under sudden assault late one afternoon and I didn't want to stop in a cloud of insects!

In short: quick-opening pockets are useful.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hopefully dsea has got enough info as we wander off discussing our pannier loves and woes.

I wonder what type of panniers I would buy if I were starting out now. I think it would probably be Ortleibs as they are so well recommended and seem to be the most popular.

This was the case with Super Cs back in 1990 when I started with them and I have stuck with them. I like the rear pocket for easy access. I don't have a bar bag because I don't like them, I use a neck wallet for my very valuables. I also like the flap top on the Cs, I can lay a few bananas under it or stuff a waterproof when it gets dry or hot.

If buying maybe what I would want is Super C style with Ortleib waterproofness. However as I said before, I now have a virtually new spare pair, so I doubt I will need to worry about getting any more in my touring lifetime. My current set were bought in 2007, which means they will have done about 50 months of long haul touring in far flung places. Can't complain
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

i noiice that Ortlieb has come out with a smaller bar bag which I think I might try: the my original tends to interfere with cables and is so big I lose stuff in it (That could be just me). I also use packing cubes (on Foxyrider's recommendation?) - best thing since sliced bread.

As I like to know which direction I'm pointing I got a bell with a built in compass. It never worked. The magnetic fasteners on my Ortlieb bag screwed it up. :o
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I actually prefer fabric panniers because they are easy to modify or repair but they also need more repairing and waterproofing. I also get lonely without lots of pockets.

Ortlieb great bags but expensive, they do make a good washing machine though.
Vaude too.

Altura can be hit and miss, their sonic welded bags can split and be hard to repair on the trail. I upgraded mine to drylines when they offered smaller replacements to my fuses that had fallen apart.

Tarp fabric copies are out there at decent prices. I set my missus up with a set of red loon panniers with clip on rucsack and added a bar bag. I made the same up with a pair of boardman panniers at 8.99ea and an overboard rucsack for the totally waterproof solution. can't decide whether to buy more to use as front panniers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRIS-BOARDM ... SwRgJXj0Uv

apparently made by oxford.

Crosso bags are earning a good name, polish made with a good variety of sizes and designs.

girls being lighter tend to need less luggage
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

PJ520 wrote:
As I like to know which direction I'm pointing I got a bell with a built in compass. It never worked. The magnetic fasteners on my Ortlieb bag screwed it up. :o

:lol: they never tell you that bit do they? In the past i've seen stem bolts, steel bars, GP'S units, steel frames et al interfering with bar mounted compass/bells. TBH i've never found a compass to be of much use on a bike, roads rarely go very far in a single direction, my routes certainly don't! There is a compass app on my phone if I really need the function.

I find it easy enough to use the map for orientation and on the rare occasion the sun comes out - well in the northern hemisphere the sun, during riding hours, will always be to the south, if it's rising i'm going east if it's dropping, west - simples.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

foxyrider wrote:There are very good reasons for taking the Ortlieb route. .

Have to admit Ortliebs are quite incredible. Mine are 11 years old and have had 11 years heavy, daily use and;

1. 100% waterproof; I wish tents, boots, rucksacks could be manufactured to this quality. I've just done a biannual wash, filled the panniers with warm, soapy water, 24 hours later, not the slightest trace of water having leaked through :!:
2. Can be fitted and removed from the bike in seconds, even when stuffed to the brim
3. Even basic elements such as "toggles" to tighten closing cords last for ever (Nb. The Karrimor and Berghaus ones on my rucksacks last a few years of occasional use prior to breakage)

I detested the sight of them when I bought mine, they look so plain, square, boring (A bit like one of those square mercedes or a rolls).

My only regret is that I bought mine in grey, rather than bright orange/yellow or whatever
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jgurney wrote:Personally I like my Altura Orkney panniers. I'm on the third set having worn out the last two.

mm - is that a recommendation?
Or have you been particularly brutal with them?
Altura are a good company but my Ortliebs are 20 years old - not been used for as much touring as they should have been but plenty plenty of shopping, which is probably tougher on them.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

crazydave789 wrote:I.

At the risk of a divert dave, a curious comment.

On the OP, the thing I like about my ortliebs is that I have total confidence in them being watertight. Quite often leave them outside the tent with no worries. Even if rain is expected. And if bivvying they are by definition outside. I understand why folk like Carradice, but don't think I'd be happy about chucking them on the earth in the same way.
Sweep
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Sweep wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:I.

At the risk of a divert dave, a curious comment.

On the OP, the thing I like about my ortliebs is that I have total confidence in them being watertight. Quite often leave them outside the tent with no worries. Even if rain is expected. And if bivvying they are by definition outside. I understand why folk like Carradice, but don't think I'd be happy about chucking them on the earth in the same way.

not a curious comment but a true one, girls are smaller and their clothes are usually much thinner and more form fitting than the male equivalents. a summer dress often rolls up smaller than a blokes T shirt.

so a girl can get away with a pannier rack bag bar bag setup when on the same trip a bloke will need front panniers as well.

I like ortliebs too but many cheaper brands are just as capable and I am still a yorkshireman at heart. despite being born in london and living in birmingham.

I do like the idea of building a raft with my panniers though.
Fratercula53

Post by Fratercula53 »

Ortlieb Back Rollers would be my choice. I have used them for over 6 years, tough and waterproof with good easy to use fixing system. Tent carried in an Ortlieb Rack Bag. "Necessaries" such as camera, wallet etc etc kept in an Ortlieb Bar Bag
horizon

Post by horizon »

gbnz wrote:
Have to admit Ortliebs are quite incredible.

I detested the sight of them when I bought mine, they look so plain, square, boring (A bit like one of those square mercedes or a rolls).

My only regret is that I bought mine in grey,

Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM

I would always recommend Ortlieb. Just so long as I don't have to use them myself. Funny that.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher