Pannier Advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dsea

Pannier Advice

Post by dsea »

My daughter is busy planning a long ride - 6 months + and is struggling with which rear panniers to pick. She has done some training weekends with an my old Karrimor but is looking at the Ortleib range for the actual ride. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
She will be carrying tent etc and riding a Koga miyata.
Regards David
jgurney

Re: Pannier Advice

Post by jgurney »

Personally I like my Altura Orkney panniers. I'm on the third set having worn out the last two.

How much treking/touring has she done? Usually someone setting out on a ride on that scale will have enough experience to know what kit they want.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Ortliebs are the default choice, very tough, well-made and waterproof.
dsea

Post by dsea »

jgurney wrote:Personally I like my Altura Orkney panniers. I'm on the third set having worn out the last two.

How much treking/touring has she done? Usually someone setting out on a ride on that scale will have enough experience to know what kit they want.

Ha, don't go there :-) - jumping in at the deep end.. quite a few long long walks under her belt but now decided to try two wheels...
Thanks for the feedback though, how long/many miles between wearing them out?
David
rjb

Post by rjb »

Pair for sale here. :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=122069
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Ortliebs definitely seem to have become the default choice nowadays. How things have changed.

Nonetheless, your daughter may want to see what style of pannier she finds best. Most Ortliebs are just big bags with no outside pockets - yes, I know you can buy some to screw on.

I (still) use Carradice Super Cs and find the large rear pocket very useful. Spare water bottle, lube, banana, anything else I don't want in the main compartment. The pockets are easy to access while on the road and I always keep my tablet, maps, etc in one. Personally I like the old style canvas look of them - a bit less nickable than the shiny plastic of Ortlieb. Also as the Cs are breathable the inside get less clammy than the super sealed Orts. Unfortunately the Cs are not 100% waterproof, especially after a few years.

Where is your daughter cycling, somewhere exciting, I hope.
dsea

Post by dsea »

The entire plan as it stands is..
Home to Hull - Ferry over - Istanbul - then East on the silk road...
I think there may be more detail but she is not letting on at the moment..
Thank you for the advice, I'm being the naggy Dad helping with equipment.
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

+1 for Carradice Super C's
I've had mine for a few years and a few 1000 mile tours and they have proved to be excellent.
I did proof them with Barbour waterproof dressing but i think that was probably not that necassary.
I like the way they are breathable so , as someone else pointed out, your clothes don't get all steamed and clammy .
When on my tours it's inevitable that things will get wet, so when you put them in a waterproof pannier everything else gets contaminated with that.
What is good about the Super C's is that you can isolate what you want. I have a drybag inside my pannier for 100% dry stuff but put other stuff outside.
Say I have just used my towel and put my towel in the pannier it will contaminate the rest of my clothes with damp, so with the Super C's I can still put it into the pannier but not inside the 100% drybag.

The other thing I like about the Super C's is the canvas look. it looks rugged and, for me, looks better with age.

Oh, another thing. I have the feeling that it would be a lot easier to repair.

There is only one thing I don't like.
Although I like the cavernous rear pocket for tools and bits and bobs, I do find that the buckle doesn't pull down on it very tight and , being a bit OCD, am concerned about things jumping out when i'm riding over bumpy ground. It's never happened but I worry about it. To solve this possible eventuality I pack in such a way that it won't happen.

My friend had Ortleibs and I'm so glad I went for my Super C's
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

simonhill wrote:Ortliebs definitely seem to have become the default choice nowadays. How things have changed.

Nonetheless, your daughter may want to see what style of pannier she finds best. Most Ortliebs are just big bags with no outside pockets - yes, I know you can buy some to screw on.

I (still) use Carradice Super Cs and find the large rear pocket very useful. Spare water bottle, lube, banana, anything else I don't want in the main compartment. The pockets are easy to access while on the road and I always keep my tablet, maps, etc in one. Personally I like the old style canvas look of them - a bit less nickable than the shiny plastic of Ortlieb. Also as the Cs are breathable the inside get less clammy than the super sealed Orts. Unfortunately the Cs are not 100% waterproof, especially after a few years.

Where is your daughter cycling, somewhere exciting, I hope.

Have to admit i've always been a big fan of the carradice super c panniers. I've had my set for 14 years now, they've done tours, weekly shopping, trips to the tip, day rides and Christmas shopping. They're wearing well. Admittedly they are not 100% waterproof. So i always wrap my clothes up in plastic carrier bags before i pack them in the panniers. Between you and me, i wouldn't be surprised if carradice was more thorn and bramble resistant than other makes. Plus you can sew ptaches onto carradice super c to show the world where you've been :- )
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The Super Cs are definitely repairable. Especially in far flung places where you will find someone to sew them up or put on a new strap for a few rupees/baht/dong.

My first pair (1991) were getting a bit like Trigger's broom. Still use one for day rides and the other for shopping.

Inherited a fairly new pair, but can't bear to leave my nicely worn in second pair at home. Maybe in a few more years.

........and for what its worth, they are still hand made in England.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Ortleibs for me. Converted to these in NZ. I rode with a German up the west coast. At the end of the day he would open his pannier, grab dry socks/T shirt etc and go and have a shower, I'd still be unwrapping my double wrapped in plastic bags bits and pieces (Karrimor Iberians in those days). He also said (using the roll top version) in Sweden they used their panniers as boyancy aids to build a raft to get to an island in a lake.
Roll tops more water proof than the normal lid design (both types available), but roll tops more fiddly to use.
Rear pockets very useful. As they are completely separate, no rick of main compartment getting contaminated if you are carrying say petrol (for stove) and it leaks. THey are easily removed if desired, just leaving the short mounting strips in place.
Damp things. Nothing damp goes in the same pannier as my sleeping bag. Damp things go in the same pannier as water proofs.
Use a string bag tied/strapped on top to dry washing etc. String bag also good for carrying food (on top of panniers) without sqashing it.
I have just got some (good) Alturas for town use, I'd say the Ortleibs are a sturdier construction.
Orleibs are not enormous (I think the might make a bigger model now?) - this creates a bit of discipline in your packing!
Don't forget to pack empty space for food shopping etc.
I have toured with a friend with Alturas, structurally they were more floppy than the Ortleibs, so luggage could sway/flex more (fabric movement, not rack flex).
I also use a cotton duck Carradice saddle bag for Sundays, once wet in prolonged rain, not the quickest thing to dry out - usually wet on the outside, minor hint of damp cloth after prolonger heavy rain.
Take spare pannier hooks Ironically the only person I met who neded a spare hook needed it because the baggage handlers baggage cart wheel was againt the pannier hook, so rubbed it away.
Currently have friends cycling via Istanbul/Stans/China to Indonesia. If you/she needs tempting :-
https://www.polarsteps.com/jamieandmari ... ew-zealand for route (gps track)/photos/occasional comment
http://biketour.mariayoung.co.uk/follow-the-dot/ for some reflections/writing/poems

Cheers
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

6 months? to where?
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Carradice Carradry are excellent panniers and are reasonably priced. St John Cycles seemed to offer the best deals when I bought some this year.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

There are very good reasons for taking the Ortlieb route.

It is possible to wear them out however my original bags are now 14 years old and Barbag 20 years old, neither have needed any repair or replacement bits and are still watertight.

In the unlikely event of damaging/breaking bits the spares are readily available around the globe, even tears can be easily repaired.

Whilst the Classic Roller series are by far the easiest to use and most popular Ortlieb do a variety of other bags like the Bikepacker which offer a more traditional style without being watertight (they are waterproof which is a different thing. The Ortlieb fixing systems are designed so you can use the bags on almost any rack.

Whilst I own a lot of Ortlieb, I know some people abhor the brand for reasons I cannot quite fathom. An alternative brand offering similar but not quite as well designed bags is another German set up, Vaude. For me the stiff plastic back plate and lack of easy adjustment go against them.

Brands like Altura etc do many 'traditional' style bags with pockets galore and flap lids, I personally have no touring stuff that i'd want to or could put in the pockets and their weight and construction (sewn carcass to let in wet) also go against them. I certainly would not want to use them on an extended trip where durability, water exclusion and repairability are all crucial.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

If you only have roller panniers you must have pockets or a substitute. I have Ortlieb Back Roller City which are excellent and were good value but they are slow to open and close so I find I need a saddlebag or a barbag as well for quick access. Ortlieb do optional pockets for the panniers but AFAIK these are roll top too so a bit slow to open and close as well.