Wide road tyres, are they dangerous

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxyrider

Re: Wide road tyres, are they dangerous

Post by foxyrider »

amediasatex wrote:Erm why not?

Regardless of any other points or potential explanations of the loss of traction that’s a perfectly believable scenario.

Losing traction on a tyre and having a bit of a slip-recover moment isn’t unusual. Happened* to me more times than I can count**, sometimes worse than others but it doesn’t necessarily end in a crash.

* not due them being squared off
** try riding gatorskin hardshells in the damp at anything approaching a mediocre speed.

+1

It is possible not to fall off at every incident, sometimes the God's smile on us, other times not!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Regardless of any other points or potential explanations of the loss of traction that’s a perfectly believable scenario.

Losing traction on a tyre and having a bit of a slip-recover moment isn’t unusual. Happened* to me more times than I can count**, sometimes worse than others but it doesn’t necessarily end in a crash.

** try riding gatorskin hardshells in the damp at anything approaching a mediocre speed.

If you read the description, it happened more than once and even on dry pavement. Sorry, unbelievable to me.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

And if you read my reply you’ll see I was saying it’s happened to me countless times. Some of them in the wet yes, but some in the dry too. I don’t believe any of my instances were due to squared off tyres, but they certainly happened, the most recent being only a week or so ago on awvening club ride.

You can lose traction in a corner for many reasons, bumps, dips, drain covers, painted lines, debris, loose surface, greasy bits, and sheer speed with insufficient weighting/poor breaking, it doesn’t have to be wet and it doesn’t always result in a crash.
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

Yep, I've had those quick slip-recover moments many times, including on dry roads (again, not caused by squared tyres, as I've not experienced those).
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

** try riding gatorskin hardshells in the damp at anything approaching a mediocre speed.[/quote]

I've been using gatorskins hardshell and folding for a good many years and I have to agree that the hardshells in particular are not very good in the wet.
I use them because for their weight they are very puncture resistant (better add IME to that). I corner very carefully :(
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

Alan O wrote:

Yep, I've had those quick slip-recover moments many times, including on dry roads (again, not caused by squared tyres, as I've not experienced those).

To be fair, I was not talking about a momentary stick-slip event. I was talking about going too hot into a corner and having your rear wheel slide out due to the fact that you exceeded the limits of traction of the tire, not due to sand, oil, water, blah blah blah. Good luck recovering from that.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I don't doubt the OP but I'm surprised that he reports a flatted width of 13mm on a 28mm tyre compared with 5mm on a tyre only 3mm narrower - 25mm. I find that my tyres look pretty round in section even when worn and the only way to assess wear is to let the air out whence the wear becomes obvious. I'm using Conti 4 seasons (25mm) and Michelin Pro 4 Endurance (25 & 28mm). On my Open Pros the Michelin 28mm tyres had a width of only 26.4mm btw and they feel very stable. I too wondered if the OPs loss of grip was affected by the tyre being a bit wide for the rim?
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I used to ride 50mm city slickers and though they were fantastic, so much so I'll never go back to a road bike widths again.