Does my tyre need changing?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cjhancock

Does my tyre need changing?

Post by cjhancock »

I have a 23mm Michelin Pro 4 Endurance tyre on my back wheel. I'm starting to think it's getting a bit worn, but my question is "how do I know?" Gatorskins have those little "holes" that give you an indication or wear, but there's nothing on the Michelins. Do I have to take the tyre off and "feel" the rubber between finger and thumb, or is there a better way? All advice gratefully received.
tatanab

Re: Does my tyre need changing?

Post by tatanab »

cjhancock wrote: Do I have to take the tyre off and "feel" the rubber between finger and thumb.
Yes. I use them and reckon they are good for 3000 miles, perhaps a little more. I think Michelin says(or used to say) 5000km, so 3000 miles is close.
cjhancock

Post by cjhancock »

Thanks for the advice. A quick tot up in Strava suggests I've done over 4000km on it, so maybe I'd better take a closer look soon. Cheers!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just compare it to a brand new one of the same type

Does "if it works, don't fix it" apply to tyres?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My usual approach with tyres like that is to just ride them until they look like they need to be replaced, or I start to get frequent punctures. I seldom get any puntures at all, but 2 or 3 on the same tyre in less than 2 weeks and the tyre goes in the bin (assuming I've checked carefully for the cause of the punture & removed, glass, thorns, etc.)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
cjhancock

Post by cjhancock »

Thanks, all.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

I run my tires down until I start seeing cord. It shows up in small spots initially. Usually the rear tire is pretty squared off by then too.
cjhancock

Post by cjhancock »

Sounds like good advice.

I had a bad experience a while back where I let things get too worn through, punctured three times (two spares) and had to beg a lift home from a complete stranger. I guess I just need to check more often. Cheers!