Cheap used bike as parts source?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Re: Cheap used bike as parts source?

Post by mikeymo »

NetworkMan wrote:
mikeymo wrote:I've got a nice frame and forks (Ridgeback Panorama Deluxe). Reynolds 853 tourer type thing. Disc brakes.
I'd like to build it up. But am rapidly realising that building it up from new parts will cost about as much as buying something similar already made.

I actually gave you the parts list I used and that showed that I got something similar a Spa Steel Tourer for about £200 less and the Spa is already a very good value bike. What's more I got to choose what parts I got rather than have someone choose for me. You do have to be prepared to hunt around to find what you want at the right price but unless something has changed I'd have thought you could do something similar. If you go for a doner bike you'll just get a load of parts someone else chose and what's more they'll be old ones. Why not just buy a secondhand bike?

Yes, I saw the list, thanks very much. As a matter of fact, I was wrong when I said "that building it up from new parts will cost about as much as buying something similar already made". In this case it wouldn't. I think that even using Ridgeback's original spec for the Panorama Deluxe, the frame plus parts cost would be ca. £1100 (and maybe less if I wait for clearance bargains) for a bike which RRP'd at £1700. However, it was also discounted to £1000 when Ridgeback stopped selling it. Hence my hesitation to proceed. Maybe better to return the frame and wait till the sales in autumn.

And of course you're right about being able to choose my own components.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Yes, I'm sure that the cheapest way to get a new bike is to buy a discounted model, typically last years stock. I did that with my year 2000 Dawes Audax, bought in 2002 I think. Mind you the bike shop fitted a mountain bike rear mech. and cassette to give me lower gears when I'd have used a different chainset and rings as well if doing it myself since top gear is now 127 inches and there is no way I can push that. What's more I've always found the riding position a bit wrong and that's due, I think, to the handlebars having to great a reach which is made worse by the Shimano brifters. I'm just now wondering about replacing the bars with some compact ones to fix this problem. This all shows why buying ready made is not always so good .....
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

NetworkMan wrote:Yes, I'm sure that the cheapest way to get a new bike is to buy a discounted model, typically last years stock. I did that with my year 2000 Dawes Audax, bought in 2002 I think. Mind you the bike shop fitted a mountain bike rear mech. and cassette to give me lower gears when I'd have used a different chainset and rings as well if doing it myself since top gear is now 127 inches and there is no way I can push that. What's more I've always found the riding position a bit wrong and that's due, I think, to the handlebars having to great a reach which is made worse by the Shimano brifters. I'm just now wondering about replacing the bars with some compact ones to fix this problem. This all shows why buying ready made is not always so good .....

This is the overall conclusion I'm coming to. I daresay that the 'buying last year's heavily discounted model' approach has to be tempered with the 'how much will I have to spend swapping components to my own needs' aspect.