Clunky Rear Wheel – Freehub Issue?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PM999

Clunky Rear Wheel – Freehub Issue?

Post by PM999 »

Bike fully loaded and about half way through a C2C. All quiet and normal until coasting half way down a long fast descent when a significant clunking started at the rear. (No apparent cause, e.g. pothole hit, it just started). Since onset, it has persisted every ride and is not intermittent. The clunk frequency varies directly with road speed, happening only when coasting and disappearing completely when pedalling. (Hence my suspicion of a freehub issue). I don’t get the noise on a work stand - it only happens with me on board. The bike has now done about 400 miles since the noise began, and it’s louder now than at onset. Short video with sound at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AdZ2x7YsctKmJkwK4N7dEMgAJtb_lsn- I start coasting at the black car - noise begins; back on the pedals at the junction near the other rider - noise ceases.

Initially it’s help with fault diagnosis I’m looking for. If it is a case of replacing the freehub body, although a new job to me, I'm up for having a go. I don’t yet know what hub I'm looking at as there are no markings on the shell.

I’ve searched earlier threads, but can’t find anything that matches my current problem precisely. Any recommendations/pointers gratefully received.

Paul
Brucey

Re: Clunky Rear Wheel – Freehub Issue?

Post by Brucey »

disassembly is likely to provide the only accurate diagnosis. If you are lucky the freehub body has simply worked loose and will just need retightening. If you are unlucky the seating in the hubshell will be worn or something and the hub will be scrap. Whatever you do, don't carry on riding on it if you want the best chance of a successful repair.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PM999

Re: Clunky Rear Wheel – Freehub Issue?

Post by PM999 »

That's helpful. Thanks.

Paul