Rusty steel frame - when / whether to give up?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
elvet_biker

Rusty steel frame - when / whether to give up?

Post by elvet_biker »

My partner has been riding her much-loved early 90s Raleigh Pioneer as her all-year commuter bike for about the last 15 years. About 10 years ago it had got quite rusty on the chainstays and lower parts of the frame and I stripped it down and attended to all the rust as thoroughly as I could using Kurust and car touch-up paint. It was quite effective. It got a slightly less attentive treatment to keep it going a few years ago, but it is now once again looking sorry for itself, and needs a new drivetrain to boot.

Clearly the logical thing to do at this stage, if it wasn't already 10 years ago, is to buy a new bike. However should we wish to be illogical and keep it going some time longer is there any reason not to trust that rusty frame? I'm conscious that I will have removed some material in its previous treatments, but It _seems_ strong enough. Although it looks pretty poor just now I don't think it's starting point 10 years ago was any better. Has anyone out there had a similarly sad looking frame shot blasted and powder coated, and did it last long if you did?

IMG_1485.jpg
mercalia

Re: Rusty steel frame - when / whether to give up?

Post by mercalia »

I am surprised how thin ( 531steel ) the tubes of steel frames are. get a new frame, you have had your moneys worth. The cost of blasting and powder coating will add up & you will have to strip the frame any way.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Raleigh Pioneers have come in lots of steel flavours. IIRC Reynolds 501/500, 4130 CrMo and 18-22 Hi-Ten.

I've no idea how they compare with 531 in terms of material thickness. The chainstay bridge in the pic does not appear to bridge the chainstays.

IMO if you are concerned about the rust now is the time to set up a local ebay search for another Pioneer of similar vintage. There are a fair few out there which have mostly sat at the back of a garage. It may take a few months but I'd expect something suitable to turn up as a source of a donor frame and maybe more besides.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

wire brush and hammerite.

upcycling innit
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

It might be alright but one cannae know, best not to risk it IMHO

I would sniff around for a new secondhand one as suggested

I just bought a secondhand bike from a cycle shop, they take lots in px and sell them cheap, it is a few years old but has obviously not been ridden much
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gaz wrote:Raleigh Pioneers have come in lots of steel flavours. IIRC Reynolds 501/500, 4130 CrMo and 18-22 Hi-Ten.

yup and they all have pretty thick chainstays.

The chainstay bridge in the pic does not appear to bridge the chainstays.

a standard Raleigh feature on the last few frames out of Nottingham. Daft too, if you ask me.... :wink:

FWIW I don't think it would be life-threatening if one of the chainstays broke in service. Not that it is terribly likely, BTW. So I'd repeat the treatment and carry on using the frame. If a new one crops up for sensible money in the meantime then you know what to do.

FWIW if you manage to kill the rust then a covering of self-adhesive plastic film will render that area more corrosion resistant in future.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you use krust, remember to use their undercoat rust beater, two coats minimum, then three coats top coat.
It is effective and long lasting but you do need several coats.

What I do with rusty metal is this-
Wire brush off the loose paint and rust.
Use a sharp slotted screwdriver to remove scale, chisel with a small hammer to remove stubborn scale.
Any deep pitting tap with screwdriver point....................if it deforms easily then its thin.
Any holes with pure corrosion either on its own or with the screwdriver test, need cutting out and patching, plate and weld.
Treat as above.

On car chassis etc, you need to use a high force with the screwdriver test, test first on good metal, then you get an idea how thin / weak any corrosion has effected the metal.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
GodfreyPurvin

Post by GodfreyPurvin »

Sling it in the creek! :lol:
random37

Post by random37 »

The failure at that point is more likely to be amusing than fatal. If it was me, I would keep riding it but keep an eye out for a new one.

Raleigh Pioneers are cheap. There was a purple Pioneer in good condition at a local car boot near me for £15 the other week. Or, there is a chap on eBay who is selling NOS Pioneer frames.