rim and hub advice please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RC

rim and hub advice please

Post by RC »

Dear All,

I'm going to attempt to build some wheels this summer and I would really value your advice about rim selection (hubs I'll probably get from Mr Shimano). I want to build a light set that can take 30-35mm tyres (700c) and a more touring orientated set 35mm tyres (maybe a bit larger). I don't need anything of expedition strength (road only). The bike is a touring model with disc brakes. Is there anything special about spoke selection with disc brakes? Any help, general advice much appreciated! (I weigh <80kg and tend to pack light, if this is of any use)...
Cheers
Rob
Brucey

Re: rim and hub advice please

Post by Brucey »

for the heavy duty set I'd suggest 36 drilled M756 hubs. For the lighter set you could go to 32 drilled hubs (which in theory saves ~30g by having 4 fewer spokes) but then again you could just build light onto another set of 36 drilled hubs and this may preserve better interchangeability in the long term. If you set up the bearings correctly (a little free play that just disappears when the QR is tightened) and lube them properly (something shimano appear unwilling to do) then they should last for years.

For spokes I'd suggest DB all round except for the DS rear (and maybe left side fronts if you use a symmetric rim) where SB spokes, PG spokes or Sapim force might be suitable alternatives.

Note that the large flange hub design potentially reduces spoke loadings during braking vs a small flange hub design, albeit that the loadings are not so well shared between flanges, the net effect is to reduce spoke loading.

For the light wheels something like the Kinlin XR-26RT rim might suit; it is nominally 455g, available in 36 drilling or 32, and you can even use the offset rim in the front to help equalise the spoke tensions. The rim is 19mm wide internally so will accept a 35mm tyre OK. The XR-31RT rim is similar and has braking surfaces if you want a versatile wheelset that can be used with rim brakes too should the need arise. The XR-31RT is nominally 25g heavier and is of course slightly stronger too. There is a fly in the ointment (or a blessing depending on how you look at it) in that these rims are tubeless-compatible, which tends to make every tyre a tight fit on the rims. That said there isn't a pronounced retaining lip on these rims so tyres can usually be unseated without a major struggle.

For the stronger wheelset the rim choice is less obvious particularly if you want to use tubeless tyres. Probably a rim around 600g weight will be OK for you but the wheel strength increase won't be quite as much as you might expect unless you find an asymmetric rim for this wheelset too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I like the DT Swiss 545d rim for my touring https://www.rosebikes.com/dt-swiss-545d ... rim-797051 Had to bring them over from Germany, but the hubs and spokes we do much cheaper it was worth it. The rims were very easy to build with. No ovalness to counteract at build time etc. IMHO, with the parts Brucey mentions, this would make an ideal first build attempt, 3x laced.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
RC

Post by RC »

Thanks for the advice Ian and Brucey. I'm looking forward to getting started, cheers Rob