Seat PositionAnd Safety

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxychick

Seat PositionAnd Safety

Post by foxychick »

Can anyone please tell me if their will be too much pressure on my seat rails from a safety point of view with my saddle in this position as it is rather a bit near the front end of the seat rails, i weigh 13 stones but favour this position as the bike has a rather short top tube.
Attachments
IMG_5974__1529340555_34536.jpg
Paulatic

Re: Seat PositionAnd Safety

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve had my saddle in that position on various combos never had a problem. 13st.7lb
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Should be fine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Is there something that's caused you to worry? My own totally unscientific offer of reassurance is that the rails wouldn't be made to allow that saddle position if it was likely to break them. I always have saddles right back like that.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Maybe just thought that their was too much of my weight to the rear of the saddle that is all thirdcrank.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Yes as others have said, the saddle adjustment rails limits have not been passed ( not that they can be ) , so all will be fine .

One of my two bikes has a smaller frame and i ride it with the saddle adjusted to its maximum rear position ...i had a slight problem the first time out with the saddle tipping backwards after going over a nasty bump , but i now make sure these 2 saddle nuts are extra tight .
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I can't see in your photo if the adjustment limits have been exceeded, but the max/min adjustment are usually marked on the rails.

Even if you exceed those, it usually means a reduced life, rather than a safety issue per se. It can obviously be disconcerting when saddle rails break, but saddle usually tps to one side or falls down on top of the seat pin, before it goes altogether.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I see quite a few cheap saddles that have broken rails but it seems that this is mainly to do with material quality rather than positioning per se.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

If you're not convinced by the above replies, here's my experience. I used a VK Saddle Adjuster to gain sufficient rearward adjustment for my B17 and after a couple of tours found what appeared to be a hairline crack across the thick steel plate of the adjuster, so discarded it immediately in favour of a "silly money" extended layback seat post which, along with the same saddle has since served me well.
I'm (ahem) a good bit heavier than you & have always had the B17 set for maximum rearward extension (equals maximum leverage) with no evidence of any adverse effects on the rails over 10+ years of use, so I'm sure you'll be OK. I certainly gained confidence in the strength of the saddle rails after seeing them survive the damage inflicted through them onto the Saddle Adjuster.....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

foxychick wrote:Maybe just thought that their was too much of my weight to the rear of the saddle that is all thirdcrank.

As a professional worrier myself, I'm only trying to provide a bit of reassurance. I know that if you are sitting on a bike for several hours with little on your mind but reliving your fourteenth consecutive victory in Paris-Roubaix, then it's easy for the teeny-weeny doubts to grow. :oops:

It can obviously be disconcerting when saddle rails break, but saddle usually tps to one side or falls down on top of the seat pin, before it goes altogether.

It's only happened to me once and I'd say it was heartbreaking, but it was a Brooks Professional I'd had since they first came out so it didn't owe me anything. It did go on only one side, and I had a slow, sad ride home :(
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Many thanks for all your replies and reassurance on my saddle position.