Tyre clearance

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ratherbeintobago

Tyre clearance

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Put 25mm tyres on the road bike, to discover there’s about 2mm clearance between the front mech clamp and the tyre.

This can’t be much more than there was with 23mm tyres on. Is this safe or not?
Brucey

Re: Tyre clearance

Post by Brucey »

not 100% safe but not 100% dangerous either. More worrying if you have that kind of clearance at the front tbh.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ratherbeintobago

Aye, that’s what I thought. Plenty of room at the front (and everywhere else at the back).
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Run over a squirrel and it will get caught at the brake bridge before the FD clamp.
I should coco.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just found my rose tinted glasses. Our old time trial bikes used to have the paint rubbed off the frame if we tried to put the wrong size tyre on, That was close. I wonder if youngsters know what "fag paper clearance is"?
ratherbeintobago

Valbrona wrote:Run over a squirrel and it will get caught at the brake bridge before the FD clamp.

:D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My best bike has about 2mm clearance at the rear brake - with 23mm tyres, there might be 5mm at the front! The brake is scored by various bits of gravel getting dragged through thanks to tar and grit policy. I might just get 25mm tyres in but not sure why I would bother.

At the FD bracket it isn't gonna make a h'appeth of difference as long as there is clearance - neither wheel nor bracket is moving there.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

mattsccm wrote:Just found my rose tinted glasses. Our old time trial bikes used to have the paint rubbed off the frame if we tried to put the wrong size tyre on, That was close. I wonder if youngsters know what "fag paper clearance is"?

About 20,000th of an inch.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

mattsccm wrote:Just found my rose tinted glasses. Our old time trial bikes used to have the paint rubbed off the frame if we tried to put the wrong size tyre on, That was close. I wonder if youngsters know what "fag paper clearance is"?

Playing petanque the other night. One measure was so close I suggested you'd need a feeler gauge to measure it. Only one other person (out of 14) knew what that was (and he was a mechanic). Surely I'm not the only one who's happier with cars when they're in pieces on the garage floor