Pedros Tulio: Pointless gadget or useful tool?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pwa

Re: Pedros Tulio: Pointless gadget or useful tool?

Post by pwa »

Thornyone wrote:I haven’t bothered with a multi tool for years because I found that it was easier to access some nuts/bolts with loose tools. I just carry a basic toolkit wrapped up in j-cloths. Nothing worse than thinking you have the tool for the job when the proverbial hits the fan miles from anywhere only to find you can’t get the critical tool in place.

My multitool is in a tiny cordura pack, and into that I also slide a Quick Link and a tiny sawn down spanner that I filed quite thin but is still more than strong enough for its intended purpose of adjusting / tightening SKS mudguard nuts, something that the multitool doesn't cover.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

I always thought there might be a market for a multi tool built round a 14mm spanner, but I seem to be in a minority.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

My road toolkit is built around the Topeak Super Chain Tool, which I still think is the best way to go by some margin. This gives you a reliable chain tool (anything less is useless) and the heaviest Allen keys – 5 mm and 6 mm – in a compact, light (67 g), durable (steel), low-cost package. See my post here for more.

Other loose tools, all of which are light by comparison, can be added as strictly needed, with none that are not needed (large multi-tools usually include tools any individual doesn’t need).

This Pedros tool has a great name and looks alright for what it is. I suppose it’s aimed at roadies with a severe weight and bulk aversion and no loyalty to their existing quick-release skewer. Fine, but not quite for me.