RD-M4000 Alivio; suprisingly tough?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bsteel

Re: RD-M4000 Alivio; suprisingly tough?

Post by Bsteel »

Thanks Brucey, I was looking for a cheap 9 speed mech to buy and this has saved me some research. M4000 ordered.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Brucey wrote:
thelawnet wrote:
Brucey wrote:I've seen relatively few bikes where the direct mount was used as intended; I suspect that manufacturers and consumers alike instinctively resist a frameset that only easily allows a single maker's RD to be fitted. The adaptor (to fit to a standard hanger) may be ugly and clumsy but it has the unintended benefit of being able to bend in a prang without wrecking the rest of the bike.

There's a fairly simple solution....

Maybe you missed the point (again) which is that the unintended benefit of this whole business is that if you use this style of derailleur on a standard hanger you have one more part that can bend (without breaking, and that might be straightened again) when you have a prang.

FWIW (not very much for most people here I suspect), Shimano have ditched the link/direct mount concept on their new 12-speed system. https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 0-SGS.html Why? The cassette is too gigantic.

Apparently it was 51-teeth to one-up SRAM , or direct mount, and 51-teeth won.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thelawnet wrote:
The T4000 front derailleur should be the same basic componentry as the M4000, however it is designed for bigger chainrings and a 12t top-mid jump rather than a MTB 40/30/22.

Thanks for your reply lawmet, but just to point out that the T4000 front mech on my ridgeback expedition works fine with a ten teeth mid to large difference.

You are probably right about the other aspect of the chainrings though - they are 48/38/28.

Seems like a sensibly designed reliable mech so far. No complaints.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I take your point that the M4000 has a nice forgiving bendyness Brucey, but out of interest how would you rate it compared to this Deore currently heavily reduced?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-deore-m ... rear-mech/
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the deore is a better rear mech for sure, and might well last longer than the Alivio in normal use, but if it ever does tangle in the rear wheel, I think it may be less likely to survive without suffering terminal damage.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

many thanks for the reply brucey.

something to ponder.
Sweep