RSW 16

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: RSW 16

Post by Mick F »

Just found the original photo I took after it was given to me.
Feb 2010 :shock:

RSW16.JPG

Just found the original thread on here.
Oh Good Grief!
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33926
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Are you sure you're doing the right thing Mick F?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol:
What "right thing" would you have me do?

The bike came from a little cottage up the hill from the village.
Ivor and Constance. Rather elderly couple whom we knew.

First time we met them, they were enquiring about someone who could look after their donkeys whilst they were away. Mrs Mick F volunteered straight away ...... but nothing came of it.

"Donkeys" years later, we met them again but Constance was getting rather frail, and was put into a home. Ivor remained by himself for while, but actually popped his clogs before her. Maybe 15years since they died, and the cottage sold. All renovated now of course and a rather desirable residence.

Ivor was a hoarder.
He was also an RAF WW2 bomber pilot and after the war flew for BOAC and BA.
He had all his WW2 uniforms, his BOAC and BA uniforms, plus all his notes and navigation equipment.
His barn was full of junk and rubbish ................. including the 1968 Raleigh RSW16.

The people who cleared the house out, knew me, and offered the RSW to me. I reluctantly agreed to take it ............ as I still had the Chopper on the go. The chap who helped clear the house was the chap who gave me the Chopper ....... it was his son who got the bike years before and never did anything with it, so it was offered to me. The RSW16 was just a small step further along.

Chopper sold for charity, and the RSW being donated.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Safe journey tomorrow Mick F!
Wonder where you'll be stopping on your route for a leg stretch?
Have a nice time! :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The route today will be up the back lanes to the Old A30 west to Sourton to join the New A30 to the M5 near Exeter.
Then, up through Devon and Somerset.

I have a plan to call in at Bridgwater and buy two rims from SJS cycles. Still not made up my mind, but as we're passing, it seems daft not to bite the bullet. Bridgwater south is J24 then through the town to St Johns Street - been to Bridgwater many many times, so we know it well - then J23 and back north towards Bristol.

We will probably stop at Gordano Services. We'll be taking a packed lunch, but we can utilise the services for loos and a leg-stretch. Mrs Mick F can have a fag. :roll:

Cross the Second Severn Crossing M4 then A449 north just before Newport. Raglan A40 beyond Abergavenny, then A479/A470/A483 for Llandindrod.

Dunno if we'll stop again before journey's end. May just plod gently on and get to the town for the pubs opening!

If we get lost en route, Thomas the TomTom can sort us out. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

No news from Mick F.......hope his car hasn't run out of electric or even worse he's got lost on the Severn bridge!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Got home yesterday evening.
Collected Sailor Dog ok, and he's no worse for wear.

RSW16 delivered yesterday morning, plus a nice hour looking round the museum. I'll start a new thread about the museum later today when I've sorted the photographs.

The Montpelier Hotel was fine.
The hotel is a shadow of its former past - as is the whole town. Down at heel, is a good description. The town was a spa town and the architecture from the late Victorian early Edwardian styles were worth looking and gazing at. We walked round in the evening visiting three hostelries and had four drinks - the Temple Bar was the best, so we had two there!

As for the RSW16, there's one in the museum already, but it's not exactly the same as ours.
I'm not well versed on this, but I wouldn't mind betting ours is a Mk1 and the one in the museum is a Mk2.
Differences include a Raleigh branded saddle and pedals with two rubbers. The bike was tucked away a bit, so I couldn't get at it to see the date on the SA hub. The tyres were black - Raleigh Red Lines I think, instead of the white balloon ones.
Photos:
Mk2.jpg

Front Wheel.jpg
Pedals.jpg
Saddle.jpg

This is the Brooks saddle on ours.
Brooks.jpg
Brooks.jpg (21.54 KiB) Viewed 563 times

This is ours in the back of reception awaiting induction.
Waiting.jpg
Lable.jpg

This final one, is Mrs Mick F grinning and riding it round the carpark just before we handed it over! :D
IMG_0427.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Still waiting for the new thread about the museum and about Llan3 with lots of photies :wink:
Diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry.
Totally forgot. :oops:

Depending on how the weather turns out when it gets light, I'll either be riding or not.
If not, I'll get the photos and a report later this morning.
If I am, you'll have to wait!
Mick F. Cornwall
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

I was looking for something like that for nipping to and from the shops/post office. Cornwall is a bit too far though!
Glad it went before I was tempted to.hitch hike down.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You've had 2 lucky escapes!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Right, here we go.

Mrs Mick F and me drove up to Llandindrod with the RSW16 in the back. We were thwarted from an easy drive due to roadworks and diversions, and trying to find our own way instead of doing the huge diversions. We eventually succeeded and I memorised the route for the return journey. We saved many miles. :D

Arrived in the afternoon, checked in at the Montpellier Hotel and went for a walk/pub crawl/expedition/investigation. Took photos of the outside.
IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0426.jpg
The building was a car dealers in the old days and they dealt in aircraft too as there used to be an airfield nearby.

Tom Norton Limited.
Wish we'd taken a photo of the side, as there is a spelling mistake! It says Tom Notron Accessories. :lol:
Can't quite see it on Google Streetview.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.23843 ... 312!8i6656

Following morning, we drove round and parked up and went in to hand over the bike.
You've seen the photos of it in the office.

We were welcomed in and given a cuppa, and allowed to wander through the museum. TBH, there are too many bikes for the museum! The place needs a bigger premises I reckon. It's very cluttered and full, though very interesting to look at all the bikes of every shape and size. I took photos on my camera but sadly they aren't as good as they should be. Difficult lighting for an elderly iPhone and difficult lighting for a bloke in his late 60s with glasses.

After spending maybe an hour there, we did our farewells and left feeling good that we'd donated an original bike to the nation.
IMG_0432.jpg
IMG_0433.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg

Do people remember the hilarious Primus Stove thread on here from some years ago?
I giggled about it when I saw this.
IMG_0442.jpg

There you have it.
We enjoyed ourselves immensely, and enjoyed the trip to Landindrod Wells too. Nice town, but past its heyday best. It used to be a spa town in the Victorian and Edwardian days and must have been a grand place to take the waters. Much of the architecture still remains so it makes a wonderful little trip to see it all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandrindod_Wells
Mick F. Cornwall
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Very generous, Mick. I can confirm that the RSW you kindly donated is a Mk 1 .
I know, I had a new one for Christmas some years ago.
The following Christmas was better , it was a 531 Claud Butler on that occasion.
I would agree with your assessment of Llandod.
It's sad but a lot of the Spa Towns managed to move on once the Victorian Spa Craze had passed, Llandod seems not to have in many respects.
It's quaint, many shops still observe a day of closing in the week, which did come as something of a surprise to me when I realised.
There are many examples of faded grandeur, the Automobile Palace being one of them !. Tom Norton was quite a businessman, so unless it's a spelling mistake I'd guess he had an Accessory Business in his Portfolio. He certainly sold airplanes ! .
We often get Locals in with stories of working for the Nortons.
I don't often get much chance to poke a round, if I go I am usually there on Museum Business (I will be "front of house" tomorrow) but it is a spectacular area for Wildlife , Particularly Red Kites and some fabulous scenery.
A lot of Motor and motorcycle clubs use it as a base for events.
Did you get to the Rock park just off the Town? That's where the Spa is , the park itself is very pleasant.

If you are thinking of a visit, please check the Website. All of our staff are Volunteers, and one has just had some ill health so it might be Policy to call and confirm we are open before you set out .We'd hate anyone to have a wasted Journey.

Paul Arnold
Company Secretary to the National Cycle Museum.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Interesting story Mick F, shame about the blurry pictures.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks Paul.
I guessed about the MK1 issue, glad I was right! :D

We went to the lake, and fed the swans and water fowl with some tired and stale sarnies left over! :D
The dragon fountain is a sight to behold, and we had a nice cup of coffee in the cafe overlooking the lake.

We asked what the lake was called .................... the staff didn't know ............... and we've found out that it's called "The Lake" ........ that's all!
The Lake.png

IMG_1592 2.jpg
IMG_1593 2.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall