Spacers on a 10-speed chainset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Rcartes

Spacers on a 10-speed chainset

Post by Rcartes »

This may seem obvious to some, but I wanted to check. I'm improvising a new 10-speed chainset/chain combination with double chainrings mounted on a single chainset, and spacers are clearly needed between to two chainrings. But what thickness to use? I have found 2mm and 3.5mm and would like to use the former, but would that give enough separation?

Hope someone can help...
"....And Umpire Bucknor's trousers are filling with the wind." - Jonathan Agnew, TMS, November 2006.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Spacers on a 10-speed chainset

Post by Mick F »

I'll go and have a measure shortly, but a little bit of info first.

I bought 10sp bike with a triple chainset and all was fine until I ditched the Wipermann chain and fitted a Campagnolo one.
Within a short while, I found the chain wasn't shifting properly from outer to middle, as it would sit half way between the rings with no drive. The chainset would spin and rattle, but the chain would steadfastly sit in the middle.

I removed the outer and middle and filed down the spacers and tried again. Still not great, so filed off some more.
Therefore, just coz you have the "correct" spacers, some chains are narrower than others.

Back soon with a measurement.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

3.47mm
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

between dish and offset, chainrings rarely have teeth in the middle of their thickness, which varies anyway. Tooth tops can have chamfers on them too. It all makes a difference.

But if you work on the rough idea that the teeth centres should be about 8mm apart then you should be OK, unless the interval is large ( 16T or so) in which case near 9mm may be required and it sometimes won't work at all unless the big ring is dished and/or shouldered.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~