Fast, dependable, good value 700x30 tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NetworkMan

Re: Fast, dependable, good value 700x30 tyres

Post by NetworkMan »

I'm in the process of resurrecting my Dawes Audax with 25 mm tyres at least in part to try a pair of the latest Schwalbe One Evolutions. I'd thought that the Conti Gatorskins I had on the Audax were noticeably slower than the 35mm Hypers even on tarmac (on a gravel cycle track there's no contest as you'd expect) and I've not used it since. I've subsequently read the tests at http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com which are done on a rotating drum. These tests show that at a roughly 15% drop pressure the Hypers roll better than the Gatorskins but worse than he Schwalbe Ones. Of course there is much debate about the validity of drum based tests......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I am thinking of trying something different.
But those hypers are expensive :shock:
Any good deals around?

IMO £20 isn't expensive for a quality tyre.

Or go with the Rand. Pro folding from Planet X. Also 120tpi and a fiver cheaper.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I'm in the process of resurrecting my Dawes Audax at least in part to try Schwalbe One Evolution in 25mm. I stopped riding the Audax when I reckoned that the 35 mm Hypers on the Spa Tourer rolled better than the 25 mm Gatorskins, even on tarmac. I've subsequently read the tests in http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com which show that at a 15% drop pressure, the Hypers are indeed faster than the Gatorskins but that Schwalbe Ones are faster still (as are many other narrow tyres). These tests are however done on a drum albeit with a rough surface.......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Any good deals around?

Or go with the Rand. Pro folding from Planet X. Also 120tpi and a fiver cheaper.

Got a link?
I can't find it on their site :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Conti Sport Contact 2 scores only about 15% worse than the Hyper in the above tests and is available from £9.99 at Planet-X!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:IMO £20 isn't expensive for a quality tyre.

Got a link?
I can't find it on their site :?

I now understand your post :idea: "VittoriaRandoneur Pro folding tyre" .They're the same carcass as the Hyper but with a thicker tread.A nice tyre,I have a couple of 700x35's in stock for using on the rear in winter :)
W H Auden
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Oh, and by the way don't buy the Planet-X Vavert 35-43 mm inner tubes for Hypers - they are huge and weigh 200 gm each! The last ones I bought were Planet-X own brand and are fine - smaller and only weigh 150 gm. I can't recall the claimed size. Anyone with 40 mm tyres want 3 tubes ....? My guess is that large heavy tubes will screw up the rolling performance.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Any good deals around?

The rand sucks twice the power?...Pro, cant find rolling resistance but from what they say same design as the hyper?
Seems you pay for grip with better rolling.
OK R2, discounted are better than the £41 :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NetworkMan wrote:Oh, and by the way don't buy the Planet-X Vavert 35-43 mm inner tubes for Hypers - they are huge and weigh 200 gm each! The last ones I bought were Planet-X own brand and are fine - smaller and only weigh 150 gm. I can't recall the claimed size. Anyone with 40 mm tyres want 3 tubes ....? My guess is that large heavy tubes will screw up the rolling performance.

I note that PX are now selling Vittoria lightweight tubes in three sizes(previously they only sold the smallest size)they're good light tubes and at £2.99 a bargain IMHO.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The rand sucks twice the power?...Pro, cant find rolling resistance but from what they say same design as the hyper?
Seems you pay for grip with better rolling.
OK R2, discounted are better than the £41 :P

Measured with a digital micrometer the Randoneur Pro's tread is 5.5mm in the centre and 3.5mm on the shoulder compared with the Voyager Hyper's 3mm centre 2mm shoulder.
Folded up off the rim the 40mm Hypers measure 100mm bead to bead,compared with the 35mm Randoneur Pro's 95mm, if that's any help.
Both tyre carcasses are 120tpi
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So the hyper is a large racing tyre, suitable for tourers because of size.
The rand pro or not pro still sucks twice the power, (unless anyone can find figures?), AFAICT its all in the tread and rubber...?

Already have a shed full of tyres.........................in my mind I blame tyres but I know its just me.......now the road bike is on the road I am not so bothered with fast tyres on the tourer (still want my old Conti TT back :( , I know I just felt better back then)
Even if Mick F can out coast me with superior 1.8 watt less drag cr :lol:
A tip if you ever get to tail gait him, his calf muscles start to bulge when he is trying to lose you :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PH

Post by PH »

Already have a shed full of tyres.........................in my mind I blame tyres but I know its just me......

That's probably the most honest review I've read in a while!
I can feel the difference between tyres and other components, but they're insignificant compared to other factors, some as simple as how well I slept the night before. A good day on my "slowest" bike will be considerably faster than a bad day on the "fastest"
My preference is for 32mm tyres, I find narrower uncomfortable for long days on rough roads, but don't feel any advantage going wider.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

So the hyper is a large racing tyre, suitable for tourers because of size.

One way of putting it but I ride mine on towpath,bridleways and some single track as well as tarmac,without problems,cuts or many punctures(three in over 12k miles,two of which were glass on tarmac and both I'm almost sure from the same bottle :? ,the other was a huge rose thorn)

The rand pro or not pro still sucks twice the power, (unless anyone can find figures?), AFAICT its all in the tread and rubber...?

Got any figures for that?

Already have a shed full of tyres.........................in my mind I blame tyres but I know its just me.......now the road bike is on the road I am not so bothered with fast tyres on the tourer (still want my old Conti TT back :( , I know I just felt better back then)
Even if Mick F can out coast me with superior 1.8 watt less drag cr :lol:
A tip if you ever get to tail gait him, his calf muscles start to bulge when he is trying to lose you :mrgreen:

Good tyres only help optimise the watts the rider is capable of,that output is variable because the human being isn't a consistent animal,we're not mechanical machines in the truest sense,the amount of fuel intake doesnt always equal amount of energy at the pedals,lots of other things come into play ie; playing fast music in a workplace and generally output goes up,if someone's happy at their work they'll generally produce more,etc,etc.
Comfort plays a big part in efficiency over long distances or time in the saddle.

Edited for typos and clarification
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Jun 2018, 5:22pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Good tyres only help optimise the watts the rider is capable of,that output is variable because the human being isn't a consistent animal,we're not mechanical machines in the truest sense,x amount of uel doesnt equal y amount of energy,lots of other things come into play ie; play fast music in a workplace and generally output goes up,if someone's happy at their work they'll generally produce more,etc,etc.
Comfort plays a big part in efficiency over long distances or time in the saddle.

Not just comfort, I love the sound the Hypers make as well; on the gravelly surface of our local cycle track you ride smoothly along at 15mph with a constant crackling noise; on smooth tarmac there is kind of rushing sound from the tyres to accompany that of the wind!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NetworkMan wrote:
Good tyres only help optimise the watts the rider is capable of,that output is variable because the human being isn't a consistent animal,we're not mechanical machines in the truest sense,x amount of uel doesnt equal y amount of energy,lots of other things come into play ie; play fast music in a workplace and generally output goes up,if someone's happy at their work they'll generally produce more,etc,etc.

Not just comfort, I love the sound the Hypers make as well; on the gravelly surface of our local cycle track you ride smoothly along at 15mph with a constant crackling noise; on smooth tarmac there is kind of rushing sound from the tyres to accompany that of the wind!

Chip n seal with Hypers is best IMO,I can hear it but I can't feel it,it always raises one of these :D
W H Auden