chainset noise

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cyril Haearn

Re: chainset noise

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What are ramps please?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What are ramps please?

'Bits' on the sides of the cogs and more especially the chain rings to help the chain climb from a smaller to larger sprocket / ring. Sometimes single, sometimes in pairs opposite each other.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

le.voyageur wrote:thanks again for all the input.
It looks like the inner is mounted incorrectly as all the writing is facing inwards.
I'll flip it over and see if it resolves.

I dont understand the comments about the bar end shifter as once I've shifted (and trimmed if required) the chain isn't touching the FD, how would a different shifter help?

The easiest way to check if you're small chainring is mounted the wrong way around is to remove one chainring bolt. If the visible hole on the small chainring doesn't have a recessed 'step' that the flange of the chainring bolt sits in then it is mounted the wrong way around, if it is stepped then it's correct. It's not a common mistake but I have seen it, and on quite an expensive chainset. The comment about the bar end shifter and front derailleur rub is a mis-reading of the symptoms you have described, as you are not experiencing this issue.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

chris_suffolk wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:What are ramps please?

'Bits' on the sides of the cogs and more especially the chain rings to help the chain climb from a smaller to larger sprocket / ring. Sometimes single, sometimes in pairs opposite each other.

Sheldon shows it well here:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ra-e.html#ramp
Attachments
ramps-pins.jpg
le.voyageur

Post by le.voyageur »

I checked the inner chaingring and it was on correctly (pity that would have been a nice easy fix so thanks gregoryoftours).
I was thinking about the mention up thread about trimming with bar ends. When I first obtained the bike (it was 2nd hand) it didn't do this and it only started when I tweaked the gears, which improved shifting across the entire range. Before this tweaking I suspect the FD, was ever so slightly, was stopping the chain clipping on the ramps by deflecting it and now I've tweaked the FD it's not doing this.
I've checked and I can leave it untrimmed and it assists in keeping the chain in check, I'm going for a quick ride and tomorrow so will see what it's like.

All that said Im not completely set on using S/S it's more I'm niggled that I introduced it and would prefer, if I can, to remove it.

Everything seems to match, front FD6500, rear RD6500, chain is PC-991 (which claims to be 8 and 9 speed compatible), cranks FC-R600, chainrings SG-X 9s/10S (50 - 34) and shifters R6501.
I like Brucey's idea of spacers, if tomorrow's test run doesn't sound great, I'll order 2 sets, .6mm and 1.2mm.
Thanks Brucey that's a good idea.

Thanks all, I appreciate it.
le.voyageur

Post by le.voyageur »

I followed Brucey's advice to fit a chainset spacer and this seemed to work a treat.
I ordered two sets, 1.2mm and .6mm. The 1.2mm was too much as I couldn't get the FD to shift up. I then fitted .6mm and the FD works and on the road the small/small now works almost silently.
Thanks to Brucey and to everyone for their contibutions.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

glad you got it sorted out OK

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I used a different chain and I have a similar problem, but only on the smallest rear cog, only one chain is recommended for that set up of mine.....even says it on the chain wheels :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

le.voyageur wrote:thanks again for all the input.
It looks like the inner is mounted incorrectly as all the writing is facing inwards.
I'll flip it over and see if it resolves.

I dont understand the comments about the bar end shifter as once I've shifted (and trimmed if required) the chain isn't touching the FD, how would a different shifter help?

That was my mistake SamuelD corrected me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden