Frame protection tape

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Frame protection tape

Post by PH »

I've got a couple of bikes with paintwork still worth protecting and thought I'd cover those tubes that are most likely to get knocked or have rub, before it's too late. I have some 3M stuff on a roll that's good for cable protection, but some of what I want to do now isn't the simplest of shapes and will need some cut-outs so was thinking of something on a backing that could be cut to shape first.
Had a look and the choice is bewildering :shock: Anyone have recommendations for something they've used? Tips on getting a good finish. Any thoughts on using a professional wrapping company?
Thanks
Tom17

Re: Frame protection tape

Post by Tom17 »

I just happened to have some heavy duty clear tape and some, black,textured duct tape, both from B&Q. I made a paper template to,help me. I stuck the duct tape onto a clean surface then stuck a layer of clear tape over it. I cut it to shape with a scalpel and transferred it to the chainstay. Several people have mistaken it for a carbon fibre chainstay protector and I still have lots of it left. It would probably have been nearly as nice without the clear tape.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I recently used this stuff on my sons Islabike. It has a backing film so can be cut to shape first as you wish.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292245987032 ... 1436.l2649
peetee

Post by peetee »

Whatever you use, if you are cutting it to size be sure to round off any corners with a neat radius so that you don't have any pointy bits that easily snag.
If visibility is your thing there is no reason why you couldn't use self adhesive scotchbrite type material.
Last edited by peetee on 6 Jul 2018, 6:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PH

Post by PH »

firedfromthecircus wrote:I recently used this stuff on my sons Islabike. It has a backing film so can be cut to shape first as you wish.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292245987032 ... 1436.l2649

That looks like the sort of stuff, but the photos in that advert don't look inspiring, that's just what I don't want a my bikes to end up looking like!
How did you find it to apply? Did you get a neat finish?
It also looks very glossy, that's fine for one bike, but not the other which is matt.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Yeah, the photos don't give the best impression. :lol:

It is shiny, so probably wouldn't look great on a matt carbon frame as in the pics. Very easy to apply, went on nice and seems to be sticking well and from a couple of feet away on a shiny bike it is pretty much invisible. Might have helped that I fitted it on a warm day or might just be 3M quality but it was much more flexible and easy to apply than other protection patches I have used before.
PH

Post by PH »

firedfromthecircus wrote:Yeah, the photos don't give the best impression. :lol:

It is shiny, so probably wouldn't look great on a matt carbon frame as in the pics. Very easy to apply, went on nice and seems to be sticking well and from a couple of feet away on a shiny bike it is pretty much invisible. Might have helped that I fitted it on a warm day or might just be 3M quality but it was much more flexible and easy to apply than other protection patches I have used before.

Thanks, I've ordered some as a trial for the shiny bike.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've got helitape, so called cause it's used on helicopter rotor blades, on my bikes. Durable and doesn't discolour but not cheap and can be applied to all sorts of curves if application is assisted by a hairdryer to warm up the tape when applying it.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Redvee wrote:I've got helitape, so called cause it's used on helicopter rotor blades, on my bikes. Durable and doesn't discolour but not cheap and can be applied to all sorts of curves if application is assisted by a hairdryer to warm up the tape when applying it.

Hairdryer your say? Never thought of heating it up.

Now just need to persuade someone in the house to get a Hairdryer. We're all too tight to do anything but let our hair dry naturally.
meic

Post by meic »

At the moment just doing it out in the sunshine would be as effective as using a hair drier.

I left a drill and bit box in the sun while working on a car yesterday and when I went to pack away the vacuum formed polystyrene tray had lost all its shape leaving all the drills and bits in a pile in the middle of the box!
Yma o Hyd
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pipe lagging from B&Q for the tubes that may contact with some thing? the top tube esp
PH

Post by PH »

Redvee wrote:I've got helitape, so called cause it's used on helicopter rotor blades, on my bikes. Durable and doesn't discolour but not cheap and can be applied to all sorts of curves if application is assisted by a hairdryer to warm up the tape when applying it.

Thanks. Is Helitape a product name or just a description? I'd heard of helicopter tape but it seems to have become a generalised term, or is maybe just getting misused, a glance at ebay shows some very different tapes under that description.
GarethF

Post by GarethF »

I used a Bike Shield pack which I got from Winstanley Cycles. It comes in different packs to suit your needs. I needed several large sections to protect out tandem, and have enough smaller pieces left to do the scuff prone bits of all out other bikes! It was easy to fit and is reckoned to be 'self healing' to some extent.
slowster

Post by slowster »

PH wrote:Is Helitape a product name or just a description? I'd heard of helicopter tape but it seems to have become a generalised term, or is maybe just getting misused, a glance at ebay shows some very different tapes under that description.

It's a generic non-brand specific term, but I think the best/original version(s) are supposed to be those made by 3M. Some of the tapes sold by some bike retailers are 3M tape which they evidently purchase in large rolls and cut down and resell in the shorter lengths suitable for a bike.

Viking Tapes list the various types and thicknesses of 3M tapes here, and 8671HS is the one marketed for bikes (among other uses), and which they too also sell in the shorter lengths more suitable for a bike:

https://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/collections/polyurethane-tapes

https://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/collections/bike-tapes

For (mainly) mountain bikes there are Invisiframe kits (http://www.invisiframe.co.uk/), which is a sheet rather than a tape, with shapes pre-cut to fit/wrap almost the entire frame. I think that uses another 3M product, Ventureshield, which is more commonly used for protecting car bodywork. Unlike the 3M tapes, Invisiframe kits are available in both gloss and matt finishes.
PH

Post by PH »

Many thanks to all those who contributed, some excellent information here, I now have a far better idea of what's available than I had before I started this thread :idea: