Seat post removal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin Stanley

Seat post removal

Post by Colin Stanley »

OK, I have a steel framed bike (725) with a stuck ally seat post. I am preparing myself for a slow, steady, long hacksaw cut inside the ally post to release it. I have done this on a steel frame some years ago, but wonder if there is a quicker way of 'sensibly' removing the seat post.
The bike which is 2 years old has been in in a 'wet' shed for some time and the seat post is really stuck. I have applied GT85 to the post but it refuses to move. I imagine that a 725 steel frame tube is a lot thinner, so I must be very caerful?
Suggestions please
gaz

Re: Seat post removal

Post by gaz »

Read this thread.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Rather than gt85 try a penetrating/releasing fluid such as Plusgas. Be prepared to take a few days, squirting some more in every day and giving it time to work
Richard M
Cardiff
Ke1th

Post by Ke1th »

Do you need to move it? If it's correct height for you I'd leave it be.Save a lot of hassle.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

If the frame has brazed on seat bolt attachments it could be quite easy. If the frame uses a seat tujbe clamp, good luck with the cutting.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Thanks for all the replies.
Ke1th wrote:Do you need to move it? If it's correct height for you I'd leave it be.Save a lot of hassle.

Yes, there is a need to lower the seat a bit for safety as a childs seat is being installed via a seat tube bracket and those two prongy things, can't remember the name of it.
I will try the Plusgas route first and then ice cubes and hairdryer.
The last time I hacksawed a seat post it took forever, just to be careful.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

More hassle but if you strip the bottom bracket and put the bike upside down and introduce the plus gas from there you will stand more chance of the plus gas getting where it needs to to release the post. And have a look at the Sheldon Brown blog on this.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

you may be able to put it in (again with bike upturned) through bottle cage securing threads thus avoiding bb removal?
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Yes, thanks for that. I will try the bottle cage threaded holes route and the BB as well as the Chainset is out already.