11 speed wheels 9 speed cassette

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
webber

11 speed wheels 9 speed cassette

Post by webber »

do I need a spacer for shimano 9 speed cassette with 11 speed wheels??
Brucey

Re: 11 speed wheels 9 speed cassette

Post by Brucey »

yes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

The coreect spacer would generally come with a new wheelset that works for 8/9/10 speed cassettes. If you don't have one you're after a 1.85mm and it goes onto the freehub body before the cassette just in case you didn't know.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

(Apologies for hijacking this topic)
I'm still on Shimano 9 chains/cassette and get satisfaction using them with Campag 10 ergo levers
and Campag front and rear mechs. My ideal cassette is a 9s 13-30 (13-14-15-17-19-21-24-27-30).
This is achieved by using a 9s 12-27 cassette, disposing with the 13-14 and using a 13t no 1 sproket
with lockring. At the other end I use a Highpath Engineering (hardwearing, imo) 30t sproket.

I sense that 10s cassettes are more readily available than 9s and was wondering whether this
would work?

Sticking with 9s, but using a 10s cassette and ditching one of the sprokets to form a 9s cassette.
I would use 9s spacers with a 9s chain, or 10s spacers with a 10s chain. Would any of these two
work?
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

10 speed cassettes are significantly closer spaced than 9sp so the cable pull will need to be compatible. If any of the sprockets are clusters (often the 3 or 4 biggest and sometimes others too) then you could have a problem with trying to substitute 9sp spacers.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

gxaustin wrote:10 speed cassettes are significantly closer spaced than 9sp so the cable pull will need to be compatible. If any of the sprockets are clusters (often the 3 or 4 biggest and sometimes others too) then you could have a problem with trying to substitute 9sp spacers.

It is possible to separate them by using some form of punch with a hammer. I have successfully done it
on 9s cassettes.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

shimano 9s cassettes have a pitch of 4.35mm, campag 10s is 4.15mm and shimano 10s is 3.95mm.

The maximum error you have at present is ~0.6mm undershift (in gear 2 and gear 8 ) .

If you install a shimano 10s cassette then the maximum error is ~0.7mm overshift in gear 2 and gear 9. Provided there is enough float in the top pulley this scheme might work well enough for you (as a 10s system). Then again you may need to respace.

A lot of 10s cassettes have the large sprockets connected to an aluminium spider eg

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-5700-3016.pdf

these are difficult to respace....

but CS-HG500-10 does not;

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-HG500-10-3861.pdf

it comprises a large cluster of sprockets connected with rivets in the original shimano style, which means that they can be respaced closer to the campag spacing.

If you add seven 0.1mm shims between sprockets 2 and 9 you might be well on the way to making it work very well. If you can add another 0.1 or 0.2mm spacer thickeness, I suggest that you add it between sprockets 4 and 5, which is a bit like the uneven spacing used in some campag 10s cassettes.

FWIW if you respace 10s sprocket using 9s spacers, you will indeed have a cassette that is almost exactly the correct pitch for campag. However the shimano 10s #1 sprocket is dished (so you would be better off using a 10s spacer plus shims here) and the whole lot won't occupy an entire freehub body once a dished #1 sprocket is used; you may as well make it a 10s system. I have seen a KMC 9s chain used on a standard shimano 10s cassette and it rubbed badly. An extra 0.18mm per sprocket would certainly make that better but in reality you would be better off for sure with a 10s chain of some description.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

I'm running a 9 speed chain on 10 speed block, running friction levers. It only rubs, slips on one place, that's at the end of the cluster, where the black spacer is, so I removed the black spacer and fitted an orangey one from a 9 sp campaign block, (slightly thicker) , et voila.