Tandem sizing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sleepymouse

Tandem sizing

Post by Sleepymouse »

Hi All
I am not new to cycling, I currently own 3 bikes. We are looking to get a basic tandem as my wife has health issues and needs assistance pedaling. We have seen a Dawes Duet for sale locally which has a frame size of 20"/13" but are unsure if it would be suitable for her as stoker. She is 5' 7" and a 13" frame sounds a little small or it would be on a solo bike, not sure about a tandem.
Any advice gratefully received.
Vorpal

Re: Tandem sizing

Post by Vorpal »

Welcome to the forum.

That sounds like a childback tandem. My nine year old pedals on the back of a Thorn Voyager that is 15" on the back :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sleepymouse

Post by Sleepymouse »

I don't think it is a childback, it is a standard frame size
meic

Post by meic »

No reason why they shouldnt make childback tandems as standard.

Your original assumption is correct, you generally apply the same standards when selecting a frame size for the back of a tandem as that person would have on a solo.
Yma o Hyd
Sleepymouse

Post by Sleepymouse »

I assume that the 13" will be too small for someone 5'7". I read somewhere that the stoker should be 1 size down.
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

Tandems are different from solo bikes, in part because you need to be able to stand over the top tube comfortably, in a way that’s not necessary solo. I think that most cheaper tandems appear to be made for a pretty small stoker (probably the archetype male pilot and 'little woman' on the back. If you look at the Thorn website, you’ll see much more variety of combinations, but at a rather different price point.

The Dawes website lists two current sizes, of which the 20/13 is the smaller, and the text says “We even have a size to fit kids on the back“, which suggest to me that this is likely to be too small for someone 5'7”. It might still be worth a look, though because sitting on it might give you a better idea of what you want (our first tandem outing was on a Duet, and we bought a 2nd hand Thorn).
Sleepymouse

Post by Sleepymouse »

Thank you for that. We will take a look.
If it's necessary we could get away with a slightly longer seat tube, my guess is that there may only be an inch or two in it.
rjb

Post by rjb »

If its for sale locally why not visit and try it for size. Our Dawes tandem is marked 20"/18" and we are both 5'6". This fits us well but there is a lot of rear seat pin exposed. Dont forget the front may be be 20" but in reality is more like 22" due to the height taken up by the rear handlebar stem. :wink:

Last edited by rjb on 14 Jul 2018, 8:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Sleepymouse

Post by Sleepymouse »

We will look at it tomorrow

Thanks for the advice
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Apart from getting on / off being easier on a smaller tandem frame, a smaller frame will also be stiffer.

There's nothing quite like being on the back of a Galaxy tandem that feels like it's actually bending in the middle everytime you make a turn! I rode several over the years and they were all the same.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You might just need a longer seat pin
Plus One for getting a tandem instead of an e-bike so she can keep cycling :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

I have a Dawes Duet with the 20/13" frame, and the stoker position would be far too small for someone 5'7". I bought mine for my daughter and wife, neither of who are above 5ft and it fits perfectly.
My son, currently 5'4" and growing, is a tight fit on the stoker position.
FWIW, the 20" pilot frame size suits me at 5'10"
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is more to do with length than height. A long seat post can sort the height out, but you need enough horizontal room so that you are not forced to sit more upright than feels relaxed. But sitting on the bike will answer that one.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:It is more to do with length than height. A long seat post can sort the height out, but you need enough horizontal room so that you are not forced to sit more upright than feels relaxed. But sitting on the bike will answer that one.

Some tandem have somewhat adjustable handlebar positions. And of course, you can always change to a different type of handle bars.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vorpal wrote:
pwa wrote:It is more to do with length than height. A long seat post can sort the height out, but you need enough horizontal room so that you are not forced to sit more upright than feels relaxed. But sitting on the bike will answer that one.

Some tandem have somewhat adjustable handlebar positions. And of course, you can always change to a different type of handle bars.

Yes , there are several ways to adjust, but if the back of the person in front is just too close to your face there is nothing much you can do about that. So ideally it is a case of sitting on it and working out from there whether it can be made to work.