Cycling shoes for broad feet

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
steady eddy

Re: Cycling shoes for broad feet

Post by steady eddy »

I also have wide feet with a high instep and have to have orthotics in my shoes. I have failed to find any spd shoes that fit my feet.
I have a pair of William Lennon shoes with smooth soles and a heel, to use with toe clips - which are comfortable to walk in even though the soles are very stiff. They modified their standard shoe to accommodate the extra depth needed to fit the insole for a very modest additional charge. They asked me to draw round my foot to get the size correct.
They do look a bit old fashioned, but they work and are wearing well and are my go to shoe for longer trips.
For short trips I just wear ordinary shoes or trainers, they work fine with toe clips too.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

"wide" can mean wide in different places, and with a high arch at different levels in the vertical plane too. So really is best to try on everything you can.

I have wide fore-feet and arches bordering on the gothic, and get on okay with Bontrager MTB/touring shoes. I did have some Diadoras (again, MTB/touring) I liked, and I've also had some Specialized I've found okay, though that was back before they revamped everything with "Body Geometry". All the Shimano shoes I've ever tried have been so narrow I need to go about two sizes up to get in to them, leaving far too much space in front of my toes, though I do like their sandals (where the upper either doesn't exist or can easily be resized with velcro).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

OP, if you're interested I have a pair of Lake wide fit cycle shoes (46 in black), bought earlier this year,
but worn only once for sale.
(I wear Sidi 45.5, Specialized 45 and Louis Garneau 47.)