Correct chainset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robert17

Correct chainset

Post by robert17 »

Hello,

I'd like to build a 1x8 set up. Can I use a chainset such as this, which appears to be single speed recommended with an 8 speed cassette with a slightly longer BB than suggested? Or any ideas? Thank you. This will be first venture in to building my own steed so am a little naive. Thank you.

https://www.santafixie.co.uk/sturmey-ar ... QQAvD_BwE#

Robert.
Brucey

Re: Correct chainset

Post by Brucey »

the chainring supplied with that chainset is meant for 1/8" chain; 8s chain is too narrow to fit on the teeth.

I have filed the thickness of such teeth down, to make a DIY 'thick-thin' chainring, but it is a lot of work.

If you use a standard chainring (meant for use as part of a double chainset) then expect the chain to unship quite often. Using a chainring will full-height teeth is better, as is using some kind of guide to keep the chain on the chainring.

BTW how you best set the chainline is partly dependant on the way you use the gears (you could favour the most used gear with a perfect chainline) and how wide the rear hub is; the perfect chainline varies by 2.5mm depending on whether the rear hub is 130mm or 135mm, for example.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scottg

Re: Correct chainset

Post by scottg »

Go to your LBS and get the oldest grubbiest looking front mech,
Simplex or Huret. Use the adjustment screws to lock it in position
so it can't move side to side. That'll keep the chain from coming
off the front.

Use of an actual wide/narrow front ring violates this forums
sumptuary law.