Carrera Crosscity - Adjust Headset?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
adamnap

Carrera Crosscity - Adjust Headset?

Post by adamnap »

Hi, can anyone help in explaining how to adjust the headset on a carrera crosscity folding electric bike?

Had the bike a couple of months now and it's no longer running smooth so just need to tighten it a little

Thanks in advance
Brucey

Re: Carrera Crosscity - Adjust Headset?

Post by Brucey »

it is not clear from pictures of the bike exactly what kind of headset is fitted. I would suggest that you take it back to Halfords (which is where I assume you bought it). This kind of adjustment is often required on new-ish bikes and (if you buy from a half-decent shop) they will cover this in a first (free) service.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
adamnap

Post by adamnap »

Thanks for the reply Brucey, greatly appreciated. Yea I did get it from halfords, that was going to be my second option if I couldn't find out how to fix it myself. I had the free 6 week service a couple of weeks ago but will still try them under the component warrenty.
Mud-Plugger

Post by Mud-Plugger »

That type of headset often has a large interior hex 'compression' bolt by the lower handle-post hinge just above the head tube top bearings, sometimes with a lower clamp which is part of the hinge mech. Tightening the headset involves loosening the hinge-clamp and tightening the hex bolt, then re-tightening the clamp bolts.

Often there's a brass shim under the compression bolt which wears if the headset isn't lubricated. Sometimes the compression bolt is Loctite - ed down which makes them hard to remove. or tighten.

Any good bike mechanic should be able to adjust the headset for you.