the humble tyre lever

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikeDee

Re: the humble tyre lever

Post by MikeDee »

mjr wrote:
MikeDee wrote:I carry two tubes with me. Patching on the side of the road is something I avoid. I carry glueless patches in case the tubes don't work out. In my and others experience, glueless patches are temporary and peal off after a time.

Glueless patches get you going quicker than people taking wheels out and replacing tubes, though! The only thing quicker is sealant when it works but that's far messier to use.

If you can find the hole and the item in your tire that caused the flat in the first place (that's a big if). You're going to have to patch again with a proper patch kit again anyway. Want to save time at the side of the road? Use a CO2 inflater.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

peetee wrote:I use a set of Schwalbe levers almost every day and they last about 9 months.

Where on earth are you riding, if you need to use tyre levers every day??
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

I use a pair of quite chunky orange Continental levers, which seem to do the job quite well. My tyres are currently Marathon Plusses.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:
mjr wrote: Glueless patches get you going quicker than people taking wheels out and replacing tubes, though!

if you have an IGH + chaincase, yes, but a standard QR wheel with rim brakes and dedangler gears it is always quicker to change the tube.

As you know, I disagree, but I hope we never both puncture simultaneously and have chance to race!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
peetee

Post by peetee »

brooksby wrote:
peetee wrote:I use a set of Schwalbe levers almost every day and they last about 9 months.

Where on earth are you riding, if you need to use tyre levers every day??

It's not my fault.
I can't help it.
It's nothing I am doing wrong.
It's my job.
Sorry.
Boo hoo hoo. :cry:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Oh right: of course! sorry.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Metal tyre levers are very handy to get the lids off paint tins ...... The lids seem to be VERY thin these days, and a screwdriver just distorts them! :(