the humble tyre lever

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeyg123

Re: the humble tyre lever

Post by mikeyg123 »

I didn't know removing tyres was so tough. Is it a mountain bike thing? None of my road bikes need more than a little pressure with a plastic leaver to get the first part of the bead over the rim. The rest I can do by hand.
A single plastic one from the side of my multi-tool has never failed.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Mountain bike thing? I don't think so. I've always found mountain bike tyres easy to fit and remove. Some combinations of road tyre and rim can be difficult, most notoriously anything on Chrinas and M+ 700c on anything.
MikeDee

the humble tyre lever

Post by MikeDee »

These are the best levers I've used, made by Kool Stop.

I have the VAR lever too, but 3 levers work better than 1.

I use this big tube of rubber cement, purchased for cheap at Walmart instead of those small patch kit tubes that dry out quickly.

I buy boxes of 100 Rema patches.

peetee

Post by peetee »

If you do need a strong lever because of your particular tyre/rim combo then wear eye protection. When nylon levers snap you really don't want to be in the way.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Doesn't everyone use self adhesive patches now?
Assuming you don't just change the tube as it's quicker and easier than trying to find the hole while you're stood at the side of the road.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I don't use tyre levers or any other sort of lever.
slowster

Post by slowster »

MikeDee wrote:These are the best levers I've used, made by Kool Stop.

I've got two sets of those levers, which I must have bought over 25 years ago. They were made by a Dutch company, Dremefa, whose name is legible on the lever in the photograph. They were also marked 'Made in Holland'.

I suspect that it may no longer be profitable to manufacture such a basic low cost item in Europe or North America, and it would not suprise me if Kool Stop merely bought the remaining stock at a bargain basement price from Dremefa when it ceased production. I've never seen them listed by any UK online retailers.

I've not given it much thought previously, but they are the tyre levers of choice in my workshop in preference to Park, Pedros, and the flat levers from Michelin/Zefal/Continental.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

iandusud wrote:I don't use tyre levers or any other sort of lever.

Like to see you get the Conti Classics off my Mexico rims without any :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Given my rim/tyre combo one Park lever is sufficient to get the tyre off the rim. If it's the rear tyre I remove it while the wheel is still in the frame and hold the tyre lever and spin the wheel. Last couple of times I replaced the tyre I've not needed a tyre lever, just strong thumbs and a donation to the swear box.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Whether you need levers depends entirely on the tyre and rim (and your strength/technique). What are you using?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
PH

Post by PH »

I think you can get a badge for that.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mikeyg123 wrote:Doesn't everyone use self adhesive patches now?
Assuming you don't just change the tube as it's quicker and easier than trying to find the hole while you're stood at the side of the road.

handy though they are at the roadside, quite a few types of self-adhesive patches turn out to constitute a temporary repair, in that they choose to peel off the tube and let you down at some future (inconvenient) moment.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

mikeyg123 wrote:Doesn't everyone use self adhesive patches now?

I carry two tubes with me. Patching on the side of the road is something I avoid. I carry glueless patches in case the tubes don't work out. In my and others experience, glueless patches are temporary and peal off after a time.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MikeDee wrote:I carry two tubes with me. Patching on the side of the road is something I avoid. I carry glueless patches in case the tubes don't work out. In my and others experience, glueless patches are temporary and peal off after a time.

Glueless patches get you going quicker than people taking wheels out and replacing tubes, though! The only thing quicker is sealant when it works but that's far messier to use.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mjr wrote: Glueless patches get you going quicker than people taking wheels out and replacing tubes, though!

if you have an IGH + chaincase, yes, but a standard QR wheel with rim brakes and dedangler gears it is always quicker to change the tube.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~