helmet cam recommendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RickH

Re: helmet cam recommendations

Post by RickH »

softlips wrote:Cameras mounted on helmets are lethal. It was a helmet mounted GoPro which caused Michael Schumacher’s head injury. The helmet wasn’t designed to have a camera mounted upon it.

Is there any actual evidence of this, rather than mere speculation? I've seen claims to this effect but never anything other than a reverse of the "my helmet saved my life" claims that crop up regularly.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
missjennyng

Post by missjennyng »

Can anyone recommend any bullet-type style helmet cameras please?

I too am looking for a helmet cam, mainly for safety/evidence purposes. I was recently in a road accident where I was knocked off my bike as I cycled around a roundabout - a car pulled out instead of stopping to give way to his right as I was passing his junction, so we collided side on. Unfortunately there was no CCTV or witnesses who came forward to give accounts, so it was my word against his, and the police were unable to press charges due to lack of evidence.

I know that a helmet cam is not a guarantee in helping to provide evidence, but given what's happened, I figured it's better to ride with one than without.

I can only really seem to find the bulkier type cams and/or ones that mount onto the bike itself, and would prefer a smaller one to fix to my helmet so it can record where my head is pointing towards etc.

I've been looking at these two and just wondered if anyone's had any experience of them?
http://www.4kam.com/wireless_bicycle_video_camera.htm
https://www.retailgadgets.co.uk/hc1080- ... escription

Budget-wise I can probably stretch to £150.

Any guidance/recommendations would be much appreciated.

TIA
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

I have a Sony HDR-AZ1 which is an old model now, not 4K but has a decent sensor so you can use it proficiently in the dark where other cameras marketed "HD/4K" won't get anything more than shadows :wink:
Would recommend it, unless you are after a narrow-visual type (this Sony has a fairly wide focal) it's a decent camera. I would avoid cheap stuff that is going to make a blurred and dull shooting as soon as the sky is cloudy :(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...