Noises

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Noises

Post by Mick F »

Now I have a silent SA hub in my Moulton, I can hear all sorts of rattles and noises when riding. Nothing loud at all, and nothing I'm worried about. A sort of jiggly buzzy metallic rattly noise.

It seems that the brake levers rattle, or is it the inner cables inside the outers? Gear cable or brake cables?
Mercian is the same too and I've always put it down to the Ergo internals, but Moulton doesn't have Ergos!

The noises are coming from the handlebar areas I'm sure.

Anyone else have these noises, or am I going loopy?
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Re: Noises

Post by Brucey »

on a separable moulton, check the cable connectors; they can rattle like crazy.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've checked. It's not them.
Moulton hums in the wind. I keep meaning to see if I can record it.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I cant hear anything!
No I still cant hear anthing :!:
Its no use I still cant hear anthing..................... :?

I just wished I dropped back earlier...........anyone else have that problem following Mick's Mercian..........that freewheel sounds like a football rattle :lol: :lol: :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

another thing that can rattle more on a moulton is the chain and rear mech, if the suspension is moving much. Also some of the cable housing runs from the handlebars can be much longer than normal, so for example the one for the front brake can flap around and make noises too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I think it's the cables rattling in their outers.
Bouncing the Moulton's front (whilst holding the bare cables down the frame) I can hear it.
Do the same with Mercian, I can hear it too, though much quieter. Unless you were listening for it, you wouldn't notice it.

----------------------------------------------
The rear hub on Mercian is a Miche Racing Box. The pawls and ratchet are similar to the lower groups of Campag - which are also noisy. The higher Campag groups have a finer ratchet and are very very quiet. My Chorus was lovely, until the cassette carrier broke for a second time, so gave up with it and went over to the Miche. Cheaper, much cheaper, and stronger too, plus you can get them in Shimano or Campag bodies.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=miche+racing+box
Mick F. Cornwall
fossala

Post by fossala »

My TSR whistled when going fast, a mate of mine has a TSR30 also reported the same.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

Not a Moulton, but I had a very annoying ziz type rattle on our tandem.
Tracked it down to the front mudguard which was just vibrating against the front forks.
Never throwing anything away, I glued a small piece of innertube to the mudguard and now all is quiet.
I hate rattles and noises too.
Now the Raleigh Superbe has develped a rattle near the rear mudguard so hear we go again.
I tend to ride on back lanes and side roads which are badly surfaced, this is probably the reason noises develop - all the shaking around takes its toll.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just age to go hydraulic then ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Just age to go hydraulic then ;)
I've modified my TSR as much as is reasonable, but hydraulic discs would be a good mod. Not sure how the front suspension would cope, but the geometry and design is very similar to a Vespa and Lambretta with front discs.

Not cost effective though to get the bosses brazed on I would think, then a respray etc.

The good thing though, would be that the rims will last and last. Small wheels wear faster than big wheels of course.
Mick F. Cornwall
fossala

Post by fossala »

Mick F wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Just age to go hydraulic then ;)
I've modified my TSR as much as is reasonable, but hydraulic discs would be a good mod. Not sure how the front suspension would cope, but the geometry and design is very similar to a Vespa and Lambretta with front discs.

Not cost effective though to get the bosses brazed on I would think, then a respray etc.

The good thing though, would be that the rims will last and last. Small wheels wear faster than big wheels of course.

People have made clamp on disc brake Mounts for Moultons. Here is a link to one in the Yahoo Moulton group (must be a signed in) https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mou ... x/12105777
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:Now I have a silent SA hub in my Moulton, I can hear all sorts of rattles and noises when riding. Nothing loud at all, and nothing I'm worried about. A sort of jiggly buzzy metallic rattly noise.

It seems that the brake levers rattle, or is it the inner cables inside the outers? Gear cable or brake cables?
Mercian is the same too and I've always put it down to the Ergo internals, but Moulton doesn't have Ergos!

The noises are coming from the handlebar areas I'm sure.

Anyone else have these noises, or am I going loopy?

Have you checked your knee-caps Mick? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Strange you should say that.

I called in at Lidl Tavistock earlier, and a chap was pulling a trolley out and there was a squeaking noise.
I asked him if it was his knees or mine! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Strange you should say that.

I called in at Lidl Tavistock earlier, and a chap was pulling a trolley out and there was a squeaking noise.
I asked him if it was his knees or mine! :wink:

Great minds, and all that Mick........................... :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hydraulic rim brakes exist as well...

I was being facetious, but I’m pretty sure you knew that.
Earplugs? Turn down the hearing aids? Put the radio on ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.