Royce rear hub lube.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ant...

Royce rear hub lube.

Post by Ant... »

I have a royce rear hub and i am looking to lube the pawls, does any one know the length of the plungers for a 130mm spindle? As 45 quid seems a lot exesive for two short bits of rod and a tube of grease.
http://www.royceuk.co.uk/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=77
Thanks.
tim-b

Re: Royce rear hub lube.

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Not specifically, but the tube of grease is an 85g Loctite Super Lube. Buy one, a bit of measuring from the photo and you might get lucky. You could stop one end up and force grease in until you get a change in pawl sounds, but be careful not to gum the pawls up (assuming that they work like most)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

IIRC the plunger length is to match the position of a cross-drilling in the axle. Inspection (eg probing with a piece of wire) should establish the position of the drilling and therefore how long the plungers should have to be.
Note that the kit comes with a nozzle for the grease tube; you may well need something to do the same job.

Of course the whole point of the kit is to make it convenient to relube the freewheel pawls. I daresay there is a 'normal' (i.e. less convenient method) by which this can be acheived, where you remove the freewheel body and lubricate the pawls directly.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
slowster

Post by slowster »

Approximately 53mm and 86mm.

NB I assume that you already know that your hub axle has the grease hole. I don't think it was a feature of earlier Royce hubs and I do not know when they started to make axles with the hole.
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

Thanks slowster, I'm sure it has the holes as they tried to sell the lube kit when I bought the hubs. :D
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

The grease hole in the Royce hubs is a neat feature, however this is not to be taken as a substitute for regular inspection.
Those are lovely hubs, but I'm not a big fan of their "screw-on" axle end caps, so my advice is to regularly open the hub for inspection/cleaning/repack. This, by greasing all the threads/axle fittings, will avoid the marring of the axle end caps if they get stuck by not been removed in a while.
Worth to say that the blue seal makes a little drag in its own right, so I won't repack by filling the whole freehub with lubricant, it'll make a mes anyway with grease oozing out the freehub and dripping down the spokes. No no no. Even with a grade 00 grease it will be too much lubricant, so it's better to remove/clean/repack the traditional way :)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...