Tektro RL340s

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bigjim

Tektro RL340s

Post by bigjim »

I've fitted a set of these to an older bike that still sports a set of Weinmann side-pulls. I'm surprised to find that it is ridiculously hard to operate the levers. The side-pulls were working fine with the older original non-aeros. But I have quite large hands and I find the Tekros bulkier hoods a lot more comfortable and of course I assume they would offer better braking from the hoods, which is my usual position on this bike. So does anybody know if these are incompatible with older side-pulls? I have modern Tektro side-pulls I can install, but it will mean drilling the frame which I am reluctant to do. Buying modern nutted side-pulls is not a realistic option as I already have a stock of modern side-pulls.
NetworkMan

Re: Tektro RL340s

Post by NetworkMan »

bigjim wrote:I've fitted a set of these to an older bike that still sports a set of Weinmann side-pulls. I'm surprised to find that it is ridiculously hard to operate the levers. The side-pulls were working fine with the older original non-aeros. But I have quite large hands and I find the Tekros bulkier hoods a lot more comfortable and of course I assume they would offer better braking from the hoods, which is my usual position on this bike. So does anybody know if these are incompatible with older side-pulls? I have modern Tektro side-pulls I can install, but it will mean drilling the frame which I am reluctant to do. Buying modern nutted side-pulls is not a realistic option as I already have a stock of modern side-pulls.

It sounds silly to ask but are you sure they aren't RL520s? That is what you'd expect if you used a V-brake lever on a sidepull brake.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

AFAICT the current RL340 levers have a pull that is closer to NSSLR cable pull. This means slightly inferior braking with first generation DPs and distinctly 'wooden' and ineffective braking with older (SP & CP) brake calipers.

If you want good braking with aero levers and such calipers, you should try to get some levers which were designed prior to the introduction of DP calipers. This obviously precludes any with broad, flat-topped hoods.

chees
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

NetworkMan wrote:
bigjim wrote:I've fitted a set of these to an older bike that still sports a set of Weinmann side-pulls. I'm surprised to find that it is ridiculously hard to operate the levers. The side-pulls were working fine with the older original non-aeros. But I have quite large hands and I find the Tekros bulkier hoods a lot more comfortable and of course I assume they would offer better braking from the hoods, which is my usual position on this bike. So does anybody know if these are incompatible with older side-pulls? I have modern Tektro side-pulls I can install, but it will mean drilling the frame which I am reluctant to do. Buying modern nutted side-pulls is not a realistic option as I already have a stock of modern side-pulls.

It sounds silly to ask but are you sure they aren't RL520s? That is what you'd expect if you used a V-brake lever on a sidepull brake.

No definitely 340s.