what size bolt on skewers?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tommydog

what size bolt on skewers?

Post by tommydog »

I was thinking of picking up a set of these Halo bolt on skewers, but not sure about size?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/halo-hex-key-sk ... 4898208488

I have a Schmidts K179 dynomo front hub and a Rohloff rear hub. My existing skewers measured

1) Front - 125mm for the threaded part

2) Rear - 162mm for the threaded part

Don't really understand the sizing as they list "Extra Long" but these are the same length as the standard? They only thing that seems to be different is the thickness. Going off the size of my original skewers (which fit perfect) will any of those Halo skewers fit? Which ones should I buy?

I am unable to measure anything else at the moment as I am away and don't have the bike with me, but I would like to order these ASAP.
nigelnightmare

Re: what size bolt on skewers?

Post by nigelnightmare »

I'm also confused :? as the QR skewers are 5mm diameter to fit through the axle, and the heads are usually around 19mm diameter.

I've not heard of 6mm dropouts before.

Front 9mm. Rear 10mm. On metric frames for QR wheels.

"Through axles" are a larger diameter and you can get those with allen key fixings. The frames have bigger dropouts too.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

nigelnightmare wrote:I'm also confused :? as the QR skewers are 5mm diameter to fit through the axle, and the heads are usually around 19mm diameter.

"Through axles" are a larger diameter and you can get those with allen key fixings. The frames have bigger dropouts too.

Surely they are talking dropout thickness? 6mm sounds about right for that dimension.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's the dropout thickness they mean - extra thick for alu or carbon frames. The length is quoted as for the OLN of the wheels.
Bez

Post by Bez »

As above. The XL are for bikes with thick dropouts (broadly speaking, aluminium or magnesium) and are thus a bit longer than the standard ones, which are for thinner dropouts (broadly speaking, steel). Both have the same diameter rod to fit inside a standard QR axle.

Are you sure you want this type of skewer, though? The design inherently adds torsional stress to the longitudinal stress and it's not hard to find online tales of failures...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bez wrote:The design inherently adds torsional stress to the longitudinal stress and it's not hard to find online tales of failures...

It all depends if you over-tighten them Ive had no problems with the three sets I've been using for a few years now. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

These skewers are made for rear hubs of 135mm OLN which I believe is the dimension of a rohloff. The difference between the 2 sizes relates to the thickness of the dropout on the frame. It’s also worth bearing in mind that if you do these up too tight you will strip the thread on the nutted part. This might be an issue if you have horizontal dropouts.
Bez

Post by Bez »

reohn2 wrote:It all depends if you over-tighten them Ive had no problems with the three sets I've been using for a few years now. :)

Yeah, used with care* they'll be fine**, but the design is flawed in a few respects if you ask me.

* I would suggest: ensure both the thread and the bolt head are clean and well greased when fitting; don't overtighten***; and, as with a spoke nipple, back off after tightening to release residual torsional stress***; and personally I wouldn't use them on suspension forks.

** I have a set in the spares box which came on a cross/gravel bike and which I used for a couple of years, and I'm still alive with my teeth intact****

*** I suspect many of the people who experience failure are those who think "my cheap tatty QRs slipped, I'll get a bolt skewer so I can just muller it tight with a breaker bar and that will fix the problem".

**** Actually they're not, but that's nothing to do with a lack of wheel retention.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bez wrote:...

*** I suspect many of the people who experience failure are those who think "my cheap tatty QRs slipped, I'll get a bolt skewer so I can just muller it tight with a breaker bar and that will fix the problem"....

Nail head on! :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bez

Post by Bez »

Confirmation Bias Nails are pretty easy to hit, though ;)
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Bez wrote:As above. The XL are for bikes with thick dropouts (broadly speaking, aluminium or magnesium) and are thus a bit longer than the standard ones, which are for thinner dropouts (broadly speaking, steel). Both have the same diameter rod to fit inside a standard QR axle.

but if you look at the specs they seem to list the same length apart from 5mm difference (130mm v 135mm) on rear for 9mm thick. Fronts look exactly the same length regardless of thickness:

Standard Size and Maximum dropout capacity:
Front (100mm): 6.0mm thick
Rear (130mm): 9.0mm thick
Rear (135mm): 6.5mm thick

Extra Long and Maximum dropout capacity:
Front (100mm): 11.0mm thick
Rear (135mm): 10.0mm thick

So I am a little confused with this. Plus they all look shorter than my existing quick release skewers as I measured these:

1) Front - 125mm for the threaded part

2) Rear - 162mm for the threaded part

So what if any will fit? Will the XL fit going on my existing size skewers?
Bez

Post by Bez »

AFAIK the Rohloff only comes in 135mm so you want that version. (They're quoting dropout width, not actual skewer length, which will be longer but is a fairly useless number from the consumer's point of view.) Measure the thickness of your dropouts and buy the 6 or 10mm ones accordingly, whichever is closest. If you can't measure the dropouts then it's a fair bet to get 6mm for a steel frame or 10mm for an aluminium one. If you get them and realise you got the wrong ones, send them back for an exchange under distance selling regs. Five quid says you want the standard 135s, but don't flame me if that's wrong since you haven't stated what frame they're for ;)
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Bez wrote: If you can't measure the dropouts then it's a fair bet to get 6mm for a steel frame or 10mm for an aluminium one. If you get them and realise you got the wrong ones, send them back for an exchange under distance selling regs. Five quid says you want the standard 135s, but don't flame me if that's wrong since you haven't stated what frame they're for ;)

It seems it's 6.5mm and not 6mm if I need 135mm for Rohloff in standard category. In any case, I suppose I could buy the extra long ones marketed as

Front (100mm): 11.0mm thick
Rear (135mm): 10.0mm thick

And if they are too long I could cut them down. I know I could send them back under the distance selling regs, but its still a hassle and wastes time . So I may buy the larger and cut them down.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

foxyrider wrote:
nigelnightmare wrote:I'm also confused :? as the QR skewers are 5mm diameter to fit through the axle, and the heads are usually around 19mm diameter.

Surely they are talking dropout thickness? 6mm sounds about right for that dimension.

Thank you. :idea:
I have just measured mine.

Ally frame = 10mm on rear dropouts.

Steel frame 6mm on rear dropouts.
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Just found this info in the reviews for the product on another site:

The standard Halo Hex Key skewers are 139mm and 174mm in length for just the shaft. The XL version are slightly longer at 149mm and 184mm.

So it looks like the standard will be fine for me. :D