Dawes Galaxy changing from drops to flat bars or butterfly

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
simon153

Dawes Galaxy changing from drops to flat bars or butterfly

Post by simon153 »

I recently bought a British built Galaxy with bar end shifters and it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.However I have a chronic neck condition and my Occupational Health doctor at work has told me to stop riding drop handle bar bicycles as it makes the condition worse.

I want to know has anyone else changed Galaxy drops for staright, riser or butterfly bars? I know that I will need to buy seperate levers for the cantilever brakes plus 8 speed pods for the gears, but are there any other problems and were the conversions a success? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.I already own a Dawes Karakum so I am used to the butterfly bars but i really do prefer the steel frame of the Galaxy.

Thankyou

Simon
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Dawes Galaxy changing from drops to flat bars or butterf

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Just make sure the straight bar brake lever is compatible with callipers, as many straight bar levers will be V Brake and you have stated cantilever. That aside you seem to have it covered interms of what you need to change, you may want a shorter stem as well

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

simon153 wrote:I recently bought a British built Galaxy with bar end shifters and it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.However I have a chronic neck condition and my Occupational Health doctor at work has told me to stop riding drop handle bar bicycles as it makes the condition worse.

I want to know has anyone else changed Galaxy drops for staright, riser or butterfly bars? I know that I will need to buy seperate levers for the cantilever brakes plus 8 speed pods for the gears, but are there any other problems and were the conversions a success? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.I already own a Dawes Karakum so I am used to the butterfly bars but i really do prefer the steel frame of the Galaxy.

Thankyou

Simon
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I have a Dawes Sonnoran that I swop from straights to drops then back as to the use the bike is put to.
If changing to straight bars it might be worth putting V brakes on as there are a lot more levers available. The gear cables will probably have different nipples so will need to be replaced. I do not know the type of front deraileur that is fitted, if it is MTB it will make getting the changers easier and cheaper.
The stem is likely to be for a different diameter bar so could be replaced with the type that is called front loading (a clamp bolts on to hold the bars). This type maked it easier for me to get the bars adjusted properly. If you do change the stem it is probably worth getting the adjustable type as it will then be easier to get the right height.
horizon

Re: Dawes Galaxy changing from drops to flat bars or butterf

Post by horizon »

simon153 wrote:I recently bought a British built Galaxy with bar end shifters and it is by far the best bike I have ever owned.However I have a chronic neck condition and my Occupational Health doctor at work has told me to stop riding drop handle bar bicycles as it makes the condition worse.

simon: if the top bar of your drops is at the same height and reach as your proposed straight bars, how can your drops have any effect on your neck condition? Am I missing something here?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

The brake levers on the drops are further forward and the shifters above are lower. Thus you have to lean forward to use both. I had a prolapsed disc in my neck and could not look up so needed to have a more upright position on the bike (now better). That was why I put about the adjustable stem angle to get more height and be able to get lots of positions.
simon153

Post by simon153 »

As my employment is pretty dependent on following her advice I am going to try it.I've bought a dutch bike for commuting which is very much a sit up and beg riding style and it does cause less fatigue because I am not bending forward and using the muscles at the back of the neck so much to keep my head in a position which gives me adequate forward vision.

I will definitely be raising the bar height, but i will be keeping the bars/stem etc in case my condition improves.Thanks for the advice.

Simon
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

If you are going to keep the bars etc I surgest a complete new set of cables then you can leave them attached to make changing back easier as the clamps will have marked the inners making the setup easier. A new stem will save you disturbing any of the levers or the tape.
If you do use your old stem make sure you get the correct diameter handle bars as stems are not supposed to be opened out for fatter bars and might not grip thiner ones properly.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Hi Simon - I changed the drops with bar end shifters to butterfly bars but also had to update the front changer. The indexed changer on the LX was not compatible with the old RSX front changer. Otherwise no problems - the bike has been set up like this for a couple of years now.
georgew

Post by georgew »

I did this for a friend on his Galaxy as he had a neck problem also.

Now he says that he is very comfortable.

http://shrunk.net/4f0fb21c